Can Starmer get some rationality into Brexit...?

Started by patman post, April 08, 2020, 02:32:42 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=20862 time=1586422106 user_id=54
No Thomas I can't share your constant pessimism.

Toots  im the most optimistic person on this forum . There is a difference between pessimmism and realism.
In any case I am only too well aware that you want Brexit and any chaos for no other reason than you hope it will strengthen the independence vote in 'your' country.

of course. I have never made any secret of that, indeed , you were warned beforehand by all and sundry of the implications brexit would bring for the union. Yet you carried on anyway.

I certainly didnt hold a gun to millions of english peoples heads to vote to leave the eu. It was something you were determined to do , and i was repeatedly told if the union has to be collateral damage , then so be it.

QuoteI do think the majority of remainers have accepted the situation for now.

You call me pessimistic....i would call this naive. Pats rambling thoughts above , as well as javerts digs only the other day on this small forum being a case in point.
No doubt there will be some trauma when/if we get back to the negotiation table but once again the EU has been seen to be lacking. Even their newly appointed medical man has resigned due to their abysmal response to the virus. It echoes their usual abysmal response to most crises. Why Scotland would want to join is beyond my understanding, but then again I can't understand why they would wish to leave the UK when we are just so gorgeous!

You arent really being consistent here toots. You say the eu is lacking , talk about people resigning etc , but on the other thread you lament johnson being ill , raab taking over and losing the will to live , and bemoan the lack of talent on the government benches.

Seems the eu isnt the only entity lacking at the minute because of this crises. 8-)

....and you still havent properly left the eu, four years on and counting. No wonder pat sees a glimmer of hope and opportunity among this crises.

Pity we didnt have someone in charge to strike while the iron is hot .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=20863 time=1586422151 user_id=48
My OH insists on calling him Keir Steamer,and I kept saying no it's Starmer.

Then I took the dog for a walk on a frosty morning and having done what needed to be done and poop bag in hand I looked down and thought yeah she's right......it is Steamer.  ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

cromwell

My OH insists on calling him Keir Steamer,and I kept saying no it's Starmer.

Then I took the dog for a walk on a frosty morning and having done what needed to be done and poop bag in hand I looked down and thought yeah she's right......it is Steamer.  ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas post_id=20859 time=1586421585 user_id=58
See toots this is what i was trying to say the other day. Do you really think remainers have accepted defeat and are prepared to let brexit go?

Pats what i call a "status quoer". Like many, they are hoping the rabidly pro eu blairite starmer , now he has corbyn out the way and a pro eu blairite team behind him in the shadow cabinet , can somehow apply some leverage in amongst all this chaos to stop engerlund/uk leaving the eu.

Or at the very least  help either kick the can firmly down the road ....again......or BRINO.

Brexit isnt done by a long shot.

Of course as you say it might be a new leader and a new shadow cabinet , but its still the same old numbers.

As i said toots......for  many its business as usual. 8-)

No Thomas I can't share your constant pessimism. In any case I am only too well aware that you want Brexit and any chaos for no other reason than you hope it will strengthen the independence vote in 'your' country.  :D

I do think the majority of remainers have accepted the situation for now. No doubt there will be some trauma when/if we get back to the negotiation table but once again the EU has been seen to be lacking. Even their newly appointed medical man has resigned due to their abysmal response to the virus. It echoes their usual abysmal response to most crises. Why Scotland would want to join is beyond my understanding, but then again I can't understand why they would wish to leave the UK when we are just so gorgeous!  :crzy  :hattip

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=20812 time=1586358031 user_id=54
Thank you I needed a giggle.  I wouldn't think Starmer's has any more chance than Corbyn did. In the crisis have you forgotten the majority in Parliament?  Starmer has as much 'power' as his predecessor. I suspect he has feet of clay to go with it too.

See toots this is what i was trying to say the other day. Do you really think remainers have accepted defeat and are prepared to let brexit go?

Pats what i call a "status quoer". Like many, they are hoping the rabidly pro eu blairite starmer , now he has corbyn out the way and a pro eu blairite team behind him in the shadow cabinet , can somehow apply some leverage in amongst all this chaos to stop engerlund/uk leaving the eu. (Edit to add #, fully leaving the eu . This half way house we are in at the minute isnt what brexiters voted for.)

Or at the very least  help either kick the can firmly down the road ....again......or BRINO.

Brexit isnt done by a long shot.

Of course as you say it might be a new leader and a new shadow cabinet , but its still the same old numbers.

As i said toots......for  many its business as usual. 8-)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=20809 time=1586352762 user_id=70
Now Keir Starmer has been overwhelmingly elected Labour leader, and as he is already forging links with government and the other party leaders, could he be the person to chivvy others into injecting some realism into Brexit activities before the 31 January 2021 deadline?

The current transition period is meant to give both sides some breathing space while a new free trade agreement is negotiated.

Little appears to be happening.

If a new free trade agreement cannot be agreed in time, the UK faces the prospect of having to trade with no deal in place. That would mean tariffs (taxes) on UK goods travelling to the EU and other trade barriers. And many other aspects of the future UK-EU relationship still need to be decided, eg:

Access to fishing waters

Aviation standards and safety

Law enforcement, data sharing and security

Licensing and regulation of medicines

Supplies of electricity and gas

Boris Johnson has insisted that the transition period will not be extended, but the timetable appears to be extremely challenging. It seems a Sod'em and flouncing out response is going to be even more harmful post Convi-19...

Thank you I needed a giggle.  I wouldn't think Starmer's has any more chance than Corbyn did. In the crisis have you forgotten the majority in Parliament?  Starmer has as much 'power' as his predecessor. I suspect he has feet of clay to go with it too.

papasmurf

Get used to crashing out on January 1st 2021, nothing can stop that happening.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Now Keir Starmer has been overwhelmingly elected Labour leader, and as he is already forging links with government and the other party leaders, could he be the person to chivvy others into injecting some realism into Brexit activities before the 31 January 2021 deadline?

The current transition period is meant to give both sides some breathing space while a new free trade agreement is negotiated.

Little appears to be happening.

If a new free trade agreement cannot be agreed in time, the UK faces the prospect of having to trade with no deal in place. That would mean tariffs (taxes) on UK goods travelling to the EU and other trade barriers. And many other aspects of the future UK-EU relationship still need to be decided, eg:

Access to fishing waters

Aviation standards and safety

Law enforcement, data sharing and security

Licensing and regulation of medicines

Supplies of electricity and gas

Boris Johnson has insisted that the transition period will not be extended, but the timetable appears to be extremely challenging. It seems a Sod'em and flouncing out response is going to be even more harmful post Convi-19...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...