57 members of Buffalo police riot response team resign

Started by Borchester, June 05, 2020, 09:17:07 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=28160 time=1591469053 user_id=50
Well, I apologise if you feel I misrepresented what you said. But in the end, it comes down to intent. To call it "brutality", you have to believe that copper had the intent to cause injury. I don't believe that.

Look DD you don't have to apologise we both differ greatly on this as I do with others on here,that doesn't mean I don't have the greatest respect for those posters.

I try to be polite as I can and enjoy good humoured exchanges I just feel at times that it does occasionally stray in to bad tempered episodes.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.....even when they're clearly wrong :lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28144 time=1591463718 user_id=48
Oh so you're making things up now,I said ive seen things I found disturbing and inhuman so you decided to interpret that I was talking about this incident,if that's how you want to make things up that's up to you.

See how this can work both ways? :fcplm:

Well, I apologise if you feel I misrepresented what you said. But in the end, it comes down to intent. To call it "brutality", you have to believe that copper had the intent to cause injury. I don't believe that.

Javert

I suspect that what is happening is that those police who have in the past been able to get away with beating the crap out of demonstrators, whether peaceful or not, and not following their own rules and procedures, are finding it increasingly difficult to get away with it now that everyone has a video camera in their pocket, and they don't like it.

I agree that not all police are like that, but that doesn't excuse the ones who are, and furthermore, the ones who turn a blind eye to it or help to cover it up are not innocent either.

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=28142 time=1591463056 user_id=50
You call it "inhuman". Javert is blabbering about "police brutality". If that's what you want to believe, that's up to you.

Oh so you're making things up now,I said ive seen things I found disturbing and inhuman so you decided to interpret that I was talking about this incident,if that's how you want to make things up that's up to you.

See how this can work both ways? :fcplm:

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28137 time=1591462188 user_id=48
Well this old coot has seen a few things that I found disturbing,vapours?.....no but a disdain for how inhuman so called humans can be.

You call it "inhuman". Javert is blabbering about "police brutality". If that's what you want to believe, that's up to you.

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28138 time=1591462481 user_id=98
:thup:

I have to disagree with Deppity on this one, I think the clear examples of what's been going on over there are wrong.

And equally, many police have taken a stand (or a kneel) and shown that 'all cops are bastards' is NOT true.

No all coppers aren't bastards,very few here IMO but just like the rest of the population there's always the odd ones.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28137 time=1591462188 user_id=48
Well this old coot has seen a few things that I found disturbing,vapours?.....no but a disdain for how inhuman so called humans can be.

:thup:

I have to disagree with Deppity on this one, I think the clear examples of what's been going on over there are wrong.

And equally, many police have taken a stand (or a kneel) and shown that 'all cops are bastards' is NOT true.
+++

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=28134 time=1591461298 user_id=50
Its a good job no one has a "video" of snatch tactics in action, or half the auld coots on here would keel over with the fecking vapours

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry post_id=28098 time=1591451298 user_id=51
Absolutely spot on, DD.

:hattip

Its a good job no one has a "video" of snatch tactics in action, or half the auld coots on here would keel over with the fecking vapours

Thomas

Quote from: Javert post_id=28107 time=1591454485 user_id=64
It seems pretty clear from this video that the man did not pose any threat whatsoever to those police so they had no reason to "act in the moment" or whatever - this was a clear case of police brutality.

I dont think anyone disagrees the police could have handled this a bit better  , but to call it police brutality javert to me is a gross exaggeration.

If thats police brutality , then i wish the scottish polis were that politely brutal.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Javert post_id=28107 time=1591454485 user_id=64
It seems pretty clear from this video that the man did not pose any threat whatsoever to those police so they had no reason to "act in the moment" or whatever - this was a clear case of police brutality.

The other police have resigned probably to try to distract from the fact that some of them may face action as well - every individual US police officer is trained in a rule called "duty to intervene".  Most of those officers in that group are guilty of failing in that duty.

Javert

The other police have resigned probably to try to distract from the fact that some of them may face action as well - every individual US police officer is trained in a rule called "duty to intervene".  Most of those officers in that group are guilty of failing in that duty.

Barry

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=28040 time=1591434939 user_id=50
There's always different perspectives when looking at any subject. The difficulty here is that today, the internet means people can view isolated clips taken from one person's perspective, disseminate it retrospectively, and arrive at conclusions based on the public's reaction to the grievance - almost everyone commenting on the George Floyd rioting sees it as a case of  "peaceful protesters" - go and count how many times that phrase appears - wheras you and I know that is seldom the case. A high profile political event like this brings all sorts of professional grievance agitators and fruitbat ****s out in force.

There are different tactics to deal with public disorder, which are usually implemented by degrees depending on the level of escalation. Dealing with serious public disorder is sometimes not pretty, but you'll be wasting your time trying to explain this to people who've never faced it, particularly because most will see it from the above perspective, not yours. In these cases, you are definitively an implement of the state, so expecting understanding from the wider population is foolish. However, we always used to be able to rely on the support and understanding of our commanders and peers. In these days of instant and unrestricted access to every last video taken on the street, every amateur opinion you can think of, on top of the immense political pressures those in charge now face, and even that is doubtful. They clearly no longer have confidence that they'll be supported.

The sad truth is,.you put these people complaining about it in the situation of trying to contain it, and their reaction would be a whole different story. When violence is close and personal, it alters everyone's perceptions.

I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to do today either.

Absolutely spot on, DD.

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28072 time=1591445100 user_id=48
Sounds like the one where some have been furloughed that long they've developed a scouse accent  :lol:

Whats that joke again?

Scouser sitting at the bar in a gay bar in london , his mate goes for a piss , and a gay guy goes up to him and asks him if he wants a blow job.

So the scouser proceeds to kick the shit out of him.

His mate come back and says why did you do that? what happened?

Scouser says" he said something about a job." :lol:

Even the welsh have a certain amount of superiority to the scousers. :lol:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28064 time=1591443744 user_id=48
Oh well a communication by Buffalo PD saying after the incident a 75 year old man was taken to hospital with a serious head injury was all in my imagination then?

I meant at the time it happened - its yet another 30 second clip, and now every man and his dog has disseminated it, deconstructed it, knows how old he is, his life story and what fecking sauce he likes on his bacon sarnie. No one KNOWS all that shit in the moment, and it matters little whether hes 75 or 25. Its all retrospective "well, this is what should have happened......."

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28064 time=1591443744 user_id=48You'd fit in well there then.

So I'm some kind of ass-hat then? Whatever.

What is it you want? The fecking Tellytubbies doing a dance for them? Those are the tactics used - dispersal. Should everyone be given a fecking questionnaire first and asked to list any infirmities they might have and whether they have an allergy to pepper spray or being hit with a baton? Its public disorder ffs

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28064 time=1591443744 user_id=48So he could've been handled out of the way not pushed over,and how do you know he was gobbing off just your interpretation you criticise others for doing.

Right - so every daft old ****, gobby woman or feckwit who won't comply with the instructions given should be "handled out of the way"? Where to? By who? How long for? What if they resist? What happens when the line has passed? Does he stay there? Should we "post" someone to watch him? How many people should we "handle out of the way"?

There aren't enough officers or time to arrest everyone in these circumstance for pete sake - you'd have literally hundreds of them - and every officer taken out to deal with some dipshit or attention seeker is another less in the line - I'm not interested in whether he was gobbing off or not, its dispersing them as a method of stopping it escalating by not having hundreds of arrests you don't have the resources to deal with

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28064 time=1591443744 user_id=48 :-P read what I post if the cops are assaulted sure they should react to defend and keep order.

That isn't in dispute - in this instance its people who ignore or obstruct the intructions given.

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28064 time=1591443744 user_id=48No you can't guarantee anything (have you been taking lessons from smurfy by using capitals?) no you get real it could've and should've been handled better.

Sure it could. Everyone on here has got the fecking answer of course. Like I said, if its that bad and they are that wrong, then the police should be taken off the streets and let the good old peaceful public deal with it their fecking selves. I bet that the Police themselves would be only too happy to let the public clear up its own shite