United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on September 24, 2020, 12:31:48 PM
Today's news is that Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election.

As long as I can remember, people have warned of western leaders becoming dictators and refusing to leave office or legislating to abolish elections, like Hitler did. But all these were "wolf! wolf!" stories.
Now we're looking at the world's richest and most powerful nation, which is also the world's second largest democracy, becoming a dictatorship.  If Trump loses the election but stays in office, then he'll have proved he can get away with riding roughshod over the principles that bind the USA together.

If anyone had said 6 years ago that the USA would cease to be a democracy, they'd have been ridiculed. But then, if anyone had said 6 years ago that Britain would be out of the EU or that the whole world would be gripped by a deadly virus with no known antidote or treatment, they'd also have been ridiculed too.

Surely the US constitution will over-ride any egomaniacal ideas Trump can possibly have. The Americans would simply clamp him in irons and cart him out. There might of course be riots in the streets but that would only be in line with lots of other 'democratic' countries.

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on September 24, 2020, 12:31:48 PM
Today's news is that Donald Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election.

As long as I can remember, people have warned of western leaders becoming dictators and refusing to leave office or legislating to abolish elections, like Hitler did. But all these were "wolf! wolf!" stories.
Now we're looking at the world's richest and most powerful nation, which is also the world's second largest democracy, becoming a dictatorship.  If Trump loses the election but stays in office, then he'll have proved he can get away with riding roughshod over the principles that bind the USA together.

If anyone had said 6 years ago that the USA would cease to be a democracy, they'd have been ridiculed. But then, if anyone had said 6 years ago that Britain would be out of the EU or that the whole world would be gripped by a deadly virus with no known antidote or treatment, they'd also have been ridiculed too.
well you being such a genius Ducky, will have all the answers without a doubt, American politics is polarised beyong belief, with the added problem that the Black folks will soon outnumber the white folks, the Chinese have eyes on their empire, the old white dudes have lost control, the Military Industrial Complex has swallowed all its wealth , the Israelis run their foreign policy and a good part of their domestic policy, their wealth gap is probably even worse than ours, they have the same pandemic which is killing about the same as the flu virus, plus a gathering civil war between black and white folks. answers on a postcard to the electoral college.
Just to add a little perspective Ducky while Trump has taken to winding up you neo Liberal types at every opportunity.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on September 23, 2020, 10:10:44 AM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 08, 2020, 11:04:46 AM
After being hit worse than any other country by covid-19 (so far), with a bad first outbreak and an even bigger second wave, numbers in the USA are now beginning to decline.

So one thing to watch out for . . .

. . . Donald Trump claiming credit for beating coronavirus. His behaviour during the pandemic has generally come across as uncaring and ill-informed and he's even tried to use it as a propaganda weapon against his opponents. But now, as the reduction in cases appears to coincide with the run-up to the presidential election, he could play the covid card, as his 'trump' card.  Hopefully most Americans would see through such behaviour.
Well it's up to the yanks ain't it,but the choice is dumb and dumber 'merica is like one big asylum.
One big asylum armed to the teeth.

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on September 08, 2020, 11:04:46 AM
After being hit worse than any other country by covid-19 (so far), with a bad first outbreak and an even bigger second wave, numbers in the USA are now beginning to decline.

. . . Donald Trump claiming credit for beating coronavirus. His behaviour during the pandemic has generally come across as uncaring and ill-informed and he's even tried to use it as a propaganda weapon against his opponents. But now, as the reduction in cases appears to coincide with the run-up to the presidential election, he could play the covid card, as his 'trump' card.  Hopefully most Americans would see through such behaviour.
Well it's up to the yanks ain't it,but the choice is dumb and dumber 'merica is like one big asylum.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

Trump is gaining fast in the IBD/TIPP poll which is the only one worth watching - USC Dornsife is close.

But looks like Trump will.walk it if the current trend continues. Me and the utterly nutty yanks liken Biden to admiral Benson from the film Hot Shots!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eHx1EFQ5e18

https://nypost.com/2020/09/21/biden-mistakenly-says-millions-have-died-from-covid-19-in-us/

Gaw' bless uncle same!!!
+++

HDQQ

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on August 08, 2020, 10:34:19 AM
People are speculating that Trump might not 'play the game' when it comes to the presidential election. Firstly there's the possibility of trying to postpone the election because of covid-19, which could arguably be seen as a legitimate reason for doing so. But let's suppose that the election takes place on time and Trump loses.

He might just accept the result and just serve out his term like past presidents have done.

He could use all kinds delaying and obstructive tactics to contest the result and try to cling on to power.

If he's heavily defeated he might use his remaining months in office to get back at the American people for not re-electing him.

Or he might just quit straight after the election and spend all his time playing golf, leaving the vice president to do everything until the hand-over in January.

How long his wife sticks around after he leaves office is one to watch. She must have been offered a package to play wifey after the Stormy Daniels saga.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 08, 2020, 05:41:46 PM
Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2020, 10:40:50 PMTrump is a big mouthed moderate who has cut taxes and is not keen on starting wars because he has the sense to realise that they are easy to start but difficult to end.

Biden seems to support most fashionable causes.

Neither will have much effect on the lives of ordinary Americans who will be left to get on with their lives.
Except the 161,000 and rising, who succumbed to the "Chinese Flu".
Unfortunately, the rest of the Western World is likely to be affected by whoever get into the White House, so it's a great shame it comes down to just these two...

Sorry, I must have missed that. How will the election of either Trump or Biden effect the  lives of the 160,000 odd  Yanks who are already dead?
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2020, 10:40:50 PMTrump is a big mouthed moderate who has cut taxes and is not keen on starting wars because he has the sense to realise that they are easy to start but difficult to end.

Biden seems to support most fashionable causes.

Neither will have much effect on the lives of ordinary Americans who will be left to get on with their lives.
Except the 161,000 and rising, who succumbed to the "Chinese Flu".
Unfortunately, the rest of the Western World is likely to be affected by whoever get into the White House, so it's a great shame it comes down to just these two...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: HDQQ on August 08, 2020, 10:34:19 AMHe might just accept the result and just serve out his term like past presidents have done.

He could use all kinds delaying and obstructive tactics to contest the result and try to cling on to power.

They said the same about Obama, and Bush before him... of course they weren't stupid enough to try it. Trump is also not that stupid, he'll take the loss, and blame it on witchhunt/fake ballots etc, but he will leave.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

As I have said several times I took no interest in american politics until last time, when given what each candidate offered people like me, i would have voted trump in a heartbeat.

Given the amount of bile and vomit the 'Democrats' have chucked at Trump, I'd vote for him again just to shit on them.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

People are speculating that Trump might not 'play the game' when it comes to the presidential election. Firstly there's the possibility of trying to postpone the election because of covid-19, which could arguably be seen as a legitimate reason for doing so. But let's suppose that the election takes place on time and Trump loses.

He might just accept the result and just serve out his term like past presidents have done.

If he's heavily defeated he might use his remaining months in office to get back at the American people for not re-electing him.

Or he might just quit straight after the election and spend all his time playing golf, leaving the vice president to do everything until the hand-over in January.

Borchester

Quote from: Groo on June 20, 2020, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: Barry on June 09, 2020, 10:30:27 PM
<r>I think there is a similar skew in the polls as Borchester reckons: The right tend not to say who they are voting for, so there is a 10% bonus when it comes to the vote.

It didn't quite work out like that last time, so this USA election will be a close run thing.

This will be the second election where 2 low quality candidates run for president out of a country where 328 million others might have been considered.  <E>:lol:</E></r>

How many of those 328 million could afford it.

There's something seriously wrong in a Country where you need to be super rich to lead the Country.

Or maybe not. Neither Trump nor Biden will be spending their own money. And for all his talk, Trump spent considerably less than Clinton in the 2016 election.

In a way it is quite comforting. As Nalaar (and several others but he provided an actual figure) said, there are 328 million Yanks but they are so confident in the strength of their democracy that they are ready to accept a choice between Trump the Blowhard and Dementia Joe Biden.
Algerie Francais !