United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on November 20, 2020, 01:48:20 PM
So you reckon that both sides are cheating but it does not matter provided the Democrats turn out to be better at it than the Republicans?
I donlt know. Last time they fought over hanging some poor sod called chad.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on November 20, 2020, 10:30:22 AM
Two things . . .

1) There's no evidence to back up Trump's claims of widespread cheating in the presidential election. But if there was widespread cheating, it would have been on both sides, not just the Democrat side. If Biden wanted to play the same game as Trump he could be asking lawyers to investigate why the opinion polls predicted he'd win by a bigger margin than he actually did.

2) We're used to the idea that some politicians might be corrupt behind the scenes, with strings being pulled and palms being greased. But with Trump right now, we're witnessing extreme political corruption going on in full public view, step by step, with no attempt to hide what's going on.

It's worth saying again that if Trump succeeds in overturning the result, then that has implications for the future of democracy not just in the USA but everywhere.

So you reckon that both sides are cheating but it does not matter provided the Democrats turn out to be better at it than the Republicans?
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Two things . . .

1) There's no evidence to back up Trump's claims of widespread cheating in the presidential election. But if there was widespread cheating, it would have been on both sides, not just the Democrat side. If Biden wanted to play the same game as Trump he could be asking lawyers to investigate why the opinion polls predicted he'd win by a bigger margin than he actually did.

2) We're used to the idea that some politicians might be corrupt behind the scenes, with strings being pulled and palms being greased. But with Trump right now, we're witnessing extreme political corruption going on in full public view, step by step, with no attempt to hide what's going on.

It's worth saying again that if Trump succeeds in overturning the result, then that has implications for the future of democracy not just in the USA but everywhere.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

The thing with Trump is that all through his pre-presidential business career he's been able to boolsheet his way through problems.  If he said something, then that effectively made it 'true' and if need be, he had clever lawyers who could prove it was 'true'. Now he's come up against the 'system' very publicly and this has exposed his shortcomings, like the emperor's new clothes except that thankfully Trump is wearing real clothes!  I think it's fair to describe Trump as an adversarial personality who always turns everything into a battle which he needs to win.

With the covid-19 situation, instead of the pandemic itself being the foe in the battle, he chose to make those with a more cautious approach into a foe.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester on November 18, 2020, 01:36:20 PMNo, that was when you joined up and was issued with your  .577 Snider–Enfield.

This is completely off topic, but something that has always puzzled me. The remarkable thing about the Snider–Enfield was that it was a new gun. Mostly the army was content to take what they had, fiddle about with it and hope that the poor bloody squaddie did not blow his head off as a result. And soldiers are always paid washers.

So why are wars always so expensive?

Dunno about that, mate. The No4 service rifle is about as far back as I can remember. They still had them in .303 calibre at ATR back in the 70s. Blowing our heads off? Its been known I guess. But overall, as I remember, I think the Army's focus was on simplicity and reliability. And theres a lot to be said for that, when kit can fairly expect to get humped around in all weathers and frequently dropped in the bottom of mud filled ditches.

Expensive? Feck knows. But there was always some cnut breaking stuff that was supposed to be 'squaddie proof'

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 17, 2020, 06:36:32 PM
Don't you mean 1866?  :D :D :D

No, that was when you joined up and was issued with your  .577 Snider–Enfield.

This is completely off topic, but something that has always puzzled me. The remarkable thing about the Snider–Enfield was that it was a new gun. Mostly the army was content to take what they had, fiddle about with it and hope that the poor bloody squaddie did not blow his head off as a result. And soldiers are always paid washers.

So why are wars always so expensive?
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Whereas in the US  they are having a moment of reflection, which will end with, OMG we really fecked up not only the US, but we managed to feck up everybody else as well.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Borg Refinery

A Trump supporter dies and goes to the pearly gates...

There he sees St Peter and gets excited and walks towards the pearly gates.

St. Peter says, "I want you to know, on the whole you were a good person, that's why you're going in. But we almost had to send you to hell because you voted for Trump."

"What do you mean? Trump is the best president ever and a devout Christian!"

St. Peter snorts and says, "He's nothing of the sort. He's vain, greedy, an adulterer, racist, and corrupt. As soon as he dies we're sending him straight to hell."

The Trump supporter shakes his head, his eyes wide and mutters unhappily, "Oh my gosh. I didn't realize the deep state went this far!"
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2020, 08:16:27 PM
Ho bloody Ho,left school and started work and went to many footie matches where a horse coming off worst was a rarity

Merry xmas to you too.

Horses were playing football matches in 1966. I see, and you grabbed them by their long hair?

But at least the horses re maned in good shape. And tottenham horse spur vs Ass n'all must have been a real spectacle.  :D

+++

cromwell

Quote from: Dynamis on November 16, 2020, 08:01:33 PM
I can't believe they referred to it as 'full time work' in 1966, domestic abuse is wrong. But I guess a generation of horses up north have grown up traumatized and terrifiedly chomping at the bit..  :D
Ho bloody Ho,left school and started work and went to many footie matches where a horse coming off worst was a rarity,long hair was fashionable though,so many a mounted cop grabbed that and rode  off with some one desperately trying to run and keep their feet on terra firma.
:o
Anyway what all this has to do with trump and US presidential is debatable,perhaps I should ban myself......just Biden my time. :)

Borg Refinery

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2020, 07:53:23 PM
I dunno I remember 1966 just started full time work. ;)

I can't believe they referred to it as 'full time work' in 1966, domestic abuse is wrong. But I guess a generation of horses up north have grown up traumatized and terrifiedly chomping at the bit..  :D

+++

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on November 16, 2020, 06:20:05 PM
So basically, that's every World Cup then?  :D :D :D
I dunno I remember 1966 just started full time work. ;)