If churches cannot meet - they cease to exist

Started by Barry, June 12, 2020, 01:11:44 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

I'm going with what toots said.

I'm not interested any more, but when I was, the particular flavour of cult i was attached to had a LARGE number of buildings that had fallen into a state of utter disrepair due to dwindling congregations over the decades, and in a few cases, the centuries. These were a drain on church funds and a source of much angst. we managed to sell off some of the larger properties to other organisations worshipping the same version of the abrahammic god, but a goodly number of the the rest went to people wanting to set up Carpet and DIY warehouses and the like.

Ironically, the two largest of the above sales to welsh language presbyterians who promptly burned the english hymn books as having english within their walls was blasphemy, have now been deconsevrated. One is a coffee bar, the other a yuppie wine bar.

There is a chapel in a welsh valley that has been quite amazingly brought back to life as a B and B. It actually featured on one of those "let's get a bunch of snobs, a pair of queers, a couple of marxists and Mr and Mrs Regular Chap and Chapess and let then fight it out to see whose got the cleanest B&B" program and praise the lord it actually WON....

I confess a certain sadness at seeing the church where I first had a bunch of negroes leap to their feet and yell "hallelujia" mid way through my sermon handed over to the sikhs, but I suppose that is better than the fate that has befallen the two in Newport now converted to mosques, or the ultimate indignity of the one where Moira and I were married which is now part of an ALDI car park.

But throughout this process of rationalising, the firmly held belief espoused even more firmly than the resurrection was that painful as it was to let go of the past, it had to be done in order to consolidate resources, and throughout it all, the church was the people, not the building.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 08, 2020, 08:09:38 PM
Isn't faith a personal thing? I certainly think it should be and is for me. It should not require attendance at a building.

I would agree up to a point. Ones faith does not depend on a building but is perhaps strengthened by meeting with others. No matter how strong a faith might be we would not be human if there were not times when it might waver or a testimony weaken. Adversity might make one question and Church ref to teachings etc can help to put things back in perspective.

srb7677

Isn't faith a personal thing? I certainly think it should be and is for me. It should not require attendance at a building.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

+++

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 20, 2020, 12:07:43 PM
Actually, I've never understood the sharing of a single communion cup, as it is an infection risk. Us Baptists have tiny little glasses. Much more sanitary.
I don't even share spoons or cups with grandchildren, as they go to the Petri dishes that some call nursery, pre-school and school itself.

Yes it has always seemed barbaric. Like you we use separate ones. I guess the argument would go something like - 'well if you trust in the Lord He will protect you'. I do believe that He will but you have to make a decent amount of effort first. I am not convinced that He doles out free gifts. So putting myself in direct line for infection might seem like taking the Micheal.

Barry

Actually, I've never understood the sharing of a single communion cup, as it is an infection risk. Us Baptists have tiny little glasses. Much more sanitary.
I don't even share spoons or cups with grandchildren, as they go to the Petri dishes that some call nursery, pre-school and school itself.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 20, 2020, 11:53:15 AM
Fine, close down the churches, everyone meet by Zoom, will save loadsamoney!

LOL No that's not what I'm saying! If Church buildings/meeting houses etc were to close for ever I am pretty sure there would be a general fading away of congregations. It's that coming together that gives the cohesion. However where for example Communion is given with just one cup then the dangers are pretty obvious. Unless of course the Churches themselves are prepared to adapt things so that those risks are removed I can understand the Government's reluctance. You never know perhaps discussions are actually going on and they are not prepared to make the necessary changes. Hence the delay.

Barry

Fine, close down the churches, everyone meet by Zoom, will save loadsamoney!
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 10:52:27 PM
Well Nalaar and T00ts, you both make very good points. So you agree that non essential shops are more important than places of worship?

It's not a competition. The Church authorities have a duty of care for their flock and appear to be acting accordingly. Despite that, faith is in one's heart and mind. It is not dependent on buildings although there is an argument for buildings bringing people together in order to strengthen their faith by association with other like minded people. Matthew 18-20 comes to mind.

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 10:52:27 PM
Well Nalaar and T00ts, you both make very good points. So you agree that non essential shops are more important than places of worship?

Very much so.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Despite the protestations of the pastor, a church building is not essential. This can be seen by the fact that Christians (aswell as other religious people) have been able to survive for several months without a building.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 09:23:09 PM
Churches should be opened NOW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCY4AwJu2U

Some think they are less important than non essential shops. Personally, I'm not wanting to go, but people should have the opportunity.

My Church has said it is governed by government guidelines and therefore the building is closed, but more or less everything else is still continuing via Zoom, FB and other media so that contact, lessons, info is all still happening. There has been an informal hymn singing get together, meetings of various organisations, a weekly quiz for the fellowship. It has been very well thought out.

Barry

Churches should be opened NOW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCY4AwJu2U

Some think they are less important than non essential shops. Personally, I'm not wanting to go, but people should have the opportunity.
† The end is nigh †