New paint job for UK government plane

Started by Barry, June 25, 2020, 11:02:08 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert on June 26, 2020, 01:57:27 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 26, 2020, 07:42:17 AMI have to say I enjoyed the outrage of the left at this paint job. None of them bothering to get as far as working out the aircraft had to be stripped back as part of an overhaul so they's have to have resprayed it with SOMETHING.

I did wonder if in actual fact, the plane needed to be repainted anyway and is the 900m the true cost difference, or would most of it have already been incurred either way.

However if that's the case why aren't the government pushing back with that reason - i.e. it doesn't cost anything as it has to be repainted anyway?

I don't know, javert.

I know that if it were my job, I'd have press releases to this effect on every news editors desk and a meno sent to the committee that approve gongs pointing out which editors I had sent the correction notice to, but these things require snide counterbriefings in smoke filled bars in private clubs to work properly, and lockdown has rather buggered the traditional way of running the government hasnlt it.

even the "trainspotters of the sky" club have no answer.  Maybe there's a D notice ...

https://www.airportspotting.com/british-a330-voyager-gets-new-paint-job/
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 26, 2020, 06:01:35 PM

Well, I believe I said above that I had not seen any criticism of the paint job (which is actually a necessary respray after the old paint was stripped to check the fuselage for its airworthiness and would have been the same had it been festooned in black power logos and a rainbow on the tail)

And I believe I asked that if you KNEW of any right wing angst at this spending, I'd love to see it, because I'd probably laugh my arse off at it.

So, as you have now had two goes at dissing my observations, time to put up your observations of right wing criticism, or shut the f**k up, methinks.

I am merely question given the way Boris's approval rating has plummeted as has the Tory lead in the polls that 100% of the criticism of the cost of the paint job on Bojo one, is from the left.
There are other opinions that those in the press and the Biased Broadcasting Company.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/vip-raf-voyager-returns-to-operational-duties

I see the plane has now resumed its day job.

every time I see Boris (or anyone else) get out of this thing now, I shall think of them as hitching a ride in a petrol tanker in violation of the policy on hitch hikers.

And every time it's a labour politician it will remind me f Blair's biggest F@@@ up as a lawyer...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 26, 2020, 08:49:45 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 26, 2020, 08:44:45 AM

What you call "my assumption" is actually an opinion gained primarily by looking at the sources of newspaper articles

Which are very much a biased minority.

Well, I believe I said above that I had not seen any criticism of the paint job (which is actually a necessary respray after the old paint was stripped to check the fuselage for its airworthiness and would have been the same had it been festooned in black power logos and a rainbow on the tail)

And I believe I asked that if you KNEW of any right wing angst at this spending, I'd love to see it, because I'd probably laugh my arse off at it.

So, as you have now had two goes at dissing my observations, time to put up your observations of right wing criticism, or shut the F@@@ up, methinks.

Nalaar

Quote from: Javert on June 26, 2020, 01:57:27 PMHowever if that's the case why aren't the government pushing back with that reason - i.e. it doesn't cost anything as it has to be repainted anyway?

Of all the story's you could have the news media and public focused on for a little bit - one about the paint on a plane is probably preferable to anything else.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on June 26, 2020, 01:57:27 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 26, 2020, 07:42:17 AMI have to say I enjoyed the outrage of the left at this paint job. None of them bothering to get as far as working out the aircraft had to be stripped back as part of an overhaul so they's have to have resprayed it with SOMETHING.

I did wonder if in actual fact, the plane needed to be repainted anyway and is the 900m the true cost difference, or would most of it have already been incurred either way.

However if that's the case why aren't the government pushing back with that reason - i.e. it doesn't cost anything as it has to be repainted anyway?

Didn't someone say something about it being a refit or something that was already scheduled so a paint job would have been part of that? Just the colours changed.

Javert

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on June 26, 2020, 12:07:06 PM
Quote from: Good old on June 26, 2020, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: T00ts on June 26, 2020, 09:06:28 AMWasn't it Bambi Blair who quite fancied an Airforce one style flying Whitehall  that would compete with President Bush's luxury? If I remember right he wanted it built especially for him and couldn't get the support - thank goodness. Here all we have is a paint job on an RAF air taxi. Not exactly Kardashian style is it? Perhaps the Royal family will use it too when they can't do schedule flights. I think it is an asset to the country. It's time to fly the flag.

Bambi, or the warmonger Blair. Interesting. Whichever insult comes to hand to suit  . Blair's  craft would have been for any British PM that should follow him, as I would hope will this one. Do you really think this piece of modern technology, capable of carrying well over 200 personnel  has not been converted at some expense to meet the needs  of Boris, and and staff ,in limited numbers? At the very least a full array of first class is going be on hand. You like a laugh. Imagine if they should fill it with press. Can you imagine them sharing the one toilet facility on standard issue.?
I am not to critical on this !the critical comment I have heard has been across the board. And it revolves around .will it be cost effective?In Tory talk , will it be value for tax payers money?

When Tony Blair and his good lady first arrived at No10 I recognised his close resemblance to Disney's Bambi. He retains it to this day particularly when he being really sincere. His antics when faced with slippery surfaces was always entertaining. He has been Bambi to me ever since.

Fair enough Toots ,I can relate to that. However misleading it might be to his reality.

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on June 26, 2020, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: T00ts on June 26, 2020, 09:06:28 AMWasn't it Bambi Blair who quite fancied an Airforce one style flying Whitehall  that would compete with President Bush's luxury? If I remember right he wanted it built especially for him and couldn't get the support - thank goodness. Here all we have is a paint job on an RAF air taxi. Not exactly Kardashian style is it? Perhaps the Royal family will use it too when they can't do schedule flights. I think it is an asset to the country. It's time to fly the flag.

Bambi, or the warmonger Blair. Interesting. Whichever insult comes to hand to suit  . Blair's  craft would have been for any British PM that should follow him, as I would hope will this one. Do you really think this piece of modern technology, capable of carrying well over 200 personnel  has not been converted at some expense to meet the needs  of Boris, and and staff ,in limited numbers? At the very least a full array of first class is going be on hand. You like a laugh. Imagine if they should fill it with press. Can you imagine them sharing the one toilet facility on standard issue.?
I am not to critical on this !the critical comment I have heard has been across the board. And it revolves around .will it be cost effective?In Tory talk , will it be value for tax payers money?

When Tony Blair and his good lady first arrived at No10 I recognised his close resemblance to Disney's Bambi. He retains it to this day particularly when he being really sincere. His antics when faced with slippery surfaces was always entertaining. He has been Bambi to me ever since.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 26, 2020, 11:33:22 AMFBPE

I saw that coming. It's one of those difficult acronyms that autistic people remember really well, but have no clue who RLB is.

[/quote]

Google was no use, so what does it mean please?

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 26, 2020, 11:30:46 AMWhat is FBPE?
I saw that coming. It's one of those difficult acronyms that autistic people remember really well, but have no clue who RLB is.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 26, 2020, 07:55:12 AMWhy do you assume all the criticism is coming from "the left?"
Because they all have FBPE on their profiles, Smurf.

† The end is nigh †

Good old

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 26, 2020, 09:49:21 AMDulles International
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 26, 2020, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 26, 2020, 09:41:25 AM

It might as well have a target painted on it, makes it easily identifiable to terrorists.

Im pretty sure the only time you will see this plane in the future will be when its parked on the tarmac at Dulles International while Boris is eating some chlorinated pigeon with Donald

That only requires a long range Mortar, range between 5000 and 7000 metres.