Why live in the past!

Started by Bernie, July 15, 2020, 09:53:30 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2020, 07:47:23 AM
The study the past is to better understand the present and how we got here, and to learn from history. And that means all the past, including ancient times, upon which all that followed was built.

For anyone interested in politics - as presumably everyone on a forum like this is - an understanding of the past is very useful and adds depth to one's knowledge.

It is the Americanisation of British politics that worries me:-
I have been a fan of Michael Sandel for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPsUXhXgWmI&t=80s
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

The study the past is to better understand the present and how we got here, and to learn from history. And that means all the past, including ancient times, upon which all that followed was built.

For anyone interested in politics - as presumably everyone on a forum like this is - an understanding of the past is very useful and adds depth to one's knowledge.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 15, 2020, 08:54:50 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on July 15, 2020, 12:38:06 PM
well for one thing, if we did not record the past, ass holes like the bitch whose statue is now where Colston's was would get their way.
The mayor of Bristol wants Marc Quinn's statue, A surge of Power (Jen Reid), to be removed from the plinth formerly occupied by slave trader Edward Colston. If it is, I hope it is put on display at the same museum as Colston's statue with a full explanation of how and why it came to be as it's good to have history to give context — before the people of Bristol vote to have Quinn's new statue put back on view in the city centre...

I think it would be good to explain why there would be no black lives in britain TO matter if the subject of the statue most of the black racists here want torn down, of Thomas Picton, had not sone what he did to deserve being commemorated.

Also, I wonder if that museum will place THIS BBC article on the wall..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53444752

If you are Nigerian, and your very black nigerian grandfather sold black slaves, it is very important that he is **NOT** judged by today's standards, and the BBC clearly agree.....

What more evidence do you need to have shown to you that your sig is utter, utter bollox
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 18, 2020, 10:51:29 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on July 18, 2020, 10:42:49 AM
Good job as well . Maybe remove the plinth as well .

Put a statue of Sir Bernard Lovell on it.

By God, the Perseid meteor showers are about due are they not? I rarely see anything because it is usually raining or overcast, but I might be lucky this time.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 18, 2020, 10:42:49 AM

Put a statue of Sir Bernard Lovell on it. 

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 15, 2020, 04:23:13 PM

well for one thing, if we did not record the past, ass holes like the bitch whose statue is now where Colston's was would get their way.

Im surprised its still in place

gone today, at last
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on July 15, 2020, 10:33:08 AM
Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 09:53:30 AMPeople who waste their valuable time

There lies the rub.
What do you waste your valuable time doing?
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on July 15, 2020, 10:33:08 AM
Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 09:53:30 AMPeople who waste their valuable time

There lies the rub.
What do you waste your valuable time doing?

Good point Nalaar.

What do you do with your time Bernie?
Algerie Francais !

Bernie

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2020, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 04:53:28 PM

What's replaced it guys?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53423415

A sculpture of a Black Lives Matter protester, placed on the plinth where a slave trader's statue was toppled, will be removed, Bristol's mayor has said.

The sculpture of Jen Reid was erected early on Wednesday at the spot in the city where an Edward Colston statue was pulled down during protests last month.

Thanks pap, I've seen it now, and also that it didn't last for long. What had she done to deserve to be there anyway? What a joke!

papasmurf

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 04:53:28 PM

What's replaced it guys?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53423415

A sculpture of a Black Lives Matter protester, placed on the plinth where a slave trader's statue was toppled, will be removed, Bristol's mayor has said.

The sculpture of Jen Reid was erected early on Wednesday at the spot in the city where an Edward Colston statue was pulled down during protests last month.

patman post

The mayor of Bristol wants Marc Quinn's statue, A surge of Power (Jen Reid), to be removed from the plinth formerly occupied by slave trader Edward Colston. If it is, I hope it is put on display at the same museum as Colston's statue with a full explanation of how and why it came to be as it's good to have history to give context — before the people of Bristol vote to have Quinn's new statue put back on view in the city centre...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Bernie

Quote from: Streetwalker

What's replaced it guys?

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: Bernie on July 15, 2020, 09:53:30 AM
People who waste their valuable time, studying the way people lived thousands of years ago, such as the Egyptians etc. What's the point, it's done and gone  - move on.