General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2020, 12:48:49 PM

What worries me is you really believe that. Along with many others come January 1st 2021 you are in for a very serious shock.

I have been listening to your rubbish on forums now for the best part of the last ten years  , and its always the same shite

" you are all going to pay for this next year mark  my words!!!"

I mean how many times have you repeated this to us all? The object lesson is always just around the corner isnt it with you?

Im sure you wil be right one day , but not through any accuracy in your predictions , more blind luck.

Are you supporting the end of FOM in january? You always used to berate freedom of movement , and complain England can't take any more migrants , now when it suits to jump on the anti brexit bandwagon to berate the tories , you go silent on FOM and tell us-" you wait till january!"

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Baff

I fully expect you said that about the day after the referendum result and the day after Brexit too.

With a track record of economic predictions like that, you shouldn't wonder why so few of us take them seriously at all.

I think I'll leave you to do all the hand wringing, teeth gnashing, hair pulling and wailing.
I find myself busy.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 12:35:28 PM

It's not the government doing what it pleases, it is the government doing what it is told.

What worries me is you really believe that. Along with many others come January 1st 2021 you are in for a very serious shock.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

That's nice for it.

I don't really look to my government for economic advice myself.
Rather, I run screaming in the opposite direction.

And that really in a nutshell is the economic beauty of Brexit.
It's not the government doing what it pleases, it is the government doing what it is told.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 12:07:25 PM
I don't believe in yours.

"Mine" is from the current government, there is nothing excusive about that Scum article.

Baff

I don't believe in yours.

All strikes me as a bit desperate from my perspective.
Clutching at every straw in the hope it's a log strong enough to keep that dream afloat.

Trauma.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

For all the obvious flaws, this country is in better hands now than it has been in decades.
Good news and optimism rules this roost.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 11:41:27 AM
Yes, I've seen that one one too.

My sources will be assorted news robots on Youtube. Plus assorted discussion boards.
Commentry from assorted Brexiteers and remainers on Youtube.
The Torygraph.

That sort of thing.
Too many to list individually.

Obviously I check a load of stuff every day.

Remainer stuff is pretty dreadful in my opinion.
Typically they just don't cover things that don't fit their narative at all.
At least with the Express they address the story even if they spin it into nonsense.

So in other words you believe in Unicorns.

Baff

Yes, I've seen that one one too.

My sources will be assorted news robots on Youtube. Plus assorted discussion boards.
Commentry from assorted Brexiteers and remainers on Youtube.
The Torygraph.

That sort of thing.
Too many to list individually.

Obviously I check a load of stuff every day.

Remainer stuff is pretty dreadful in my opinion.
Typically they just don't cover things that don't fit their narative at all.
At least with the Express they address the story even if they spin it into nonsense.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 10:14:22 AM
The EU has 11 tariff reducing trade agreements.

Most of them with countries who have already signed the same or better agreements with us.
Most of them with the exact same tiny nations.
In the last 6 months we have signed 21 such trade agreements almost double what the EU has managed to sign in the last couple of decades.

That other people are going to be making money than in the previous EU years where other billionaires made it at other peoples expense, is a good thing.
Someone else's turn.
Sorry Mr Soros etc. No one cares.

Can I ask what is your source for that propaganda please. ( I am being serious by the way.)

Personally I think this is the more likely scenario, (apologies for referencing The Scum.)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12474511/emergency-plans-perfect-storm-no-deal-brexit-coronavirus-second-wave/

Baff

The EU has 11 tariff reducing trade agreements.

Most of them with countries who have already signed the same or better agreements with us.
Most of them with the exact same tiny nations.
In the last 6 months we have signed 21 such trade agreements almost double what the EU has managed to sign in the last couple of decades.

That other people are going to be making money than in the previous EU years where other billionaires made it at other peoples expense, is a good thing.
Someone else's turn.
Sorry Mr Soros etc. No one cares.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 09:25:24 AM
The only tariffs which will go up for UK exports are the EU ones.

With 21 trade deals signed and a further 26 in the works, tariffs on exports by other trade partners are set to go down.

Average tariff rate for the EU is 2.8%. So your figures I'm afraid are completely loony tunes.
Banzai stuff.

Baff, I suggest you do some research, the EU has a lot of trade agreements the UK does not.  As for 21 trade deals done, are any of with a country of significant size and 26 in the works could take ten years.

I suggest you do your own research and not believe the rabid Brexiteers because a handful of  those are going to trouser £8 billion out a hard Brexit whilst the rest of us suffer the consequences of a hard Brexit.

Baff

The only tariffs which will go up for UK exports are the EU ones.

With 21 trade deals signed and a further 26 in the works, tariffs on our exports by other trade partners are set to go down.

Average tariff rate for the EU is 2.8%. So your figures I'm afraid are completely loony tunes.
Banzai stuff.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on August 24, 2020, 09:09:08 AM

And yet it's immensely better than the current state of the EU.
Sorry there isn't a perfect world available for you to live in.

Sorry but you really have to be joking. WTO rules will put between 10% and 65% tariffs on British exports.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2020, 07:33:03 AM

Oh dear, have you ever bother to check the current state of the WTO?  The dispute resolution system is close to collapse, and WTO terms will be a total disaster for Britain.

And yet it's immensely better than the current state of the EU.
Sorry there isn't a perfect world available for you to live in.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2020, 07:33:03 AM
Quote from: Baff on August 23, 2020, 11:38:38 PM

By leaving on WTO terms we are able to set our own tariff regimes, sign our own trade deals and set our own regulations and standards to better harmonise with our other trade partners as a priority.

Oh dear, have you ever bother to check the current state of the WTO?  The dispute resolution system is close to collapse, and WTO terms will be a total disaster for Britain.

They seemed to work fine until we joined the EU in 1973.

I admit, that now that you have driven the tourists out of Cornwall and fought tooth and nail to keep the unemployed that way, the economy of your part of the South West might be a little tricky, but I dare say the rest of us will tick over without too much trouble.
Algerie Francais !