General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on October 15, 2020, 07:23:44 PM
The EU is rules based, in control and have spelt out their red lines for a long time. NI got sorted in the WA so that's not being discussed any more. Level playing field, Dispute resolution and fisheries are what needs agreeing but you won't see much movement from the EU. It's their red lines, you must appreciate that. Merkel isn't saying anything, that's your and what seems most of the UK teams misunderstanding of the EU. There is no supreme leader just a co-op.

Lucky for you JOhnson has his morals and deadline, what is it 5hr's to go, I presume he will make a big announcement after the 9oClock news, will keep an eye out for that.
Luck that the UK holds all the cards, I got a look at Frosties hand earlier

;D ;D ;D ;D

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2020, 05:38:49 PMWhat do you mean hang on? You have completely misread the situation. I am even more miffed that you shout for EU and Ireland and live over here. Presumably because it's better which rather sticks your arguments into a cocked hat!
The leader of the EU, Angela Merkel, has told Macron to get in line. He in true Gallic form is saying NON! Napoleon has spoken again. Now the question is who is most worried about no deal? Merkel and her car manufacturers who have been giving her earache for a couple of years? S Ireland who although they try to call a good game know full well that they will be shut off from civilisation and possibly N Ireland trade when they choose us not them? Macron with France in rather dire straits with a population who will happily burn tyres, strike ad infinitum and chuck him out of office possibly with the guillotine? Spain desperate for renewed tourism trade? That's just for starters.
Gerry - follow the money! There is only one leader in the EU and it's our dear friend Germany. Kid yourself as much as you want, we have all been trying to tell you, but when push comes to shove, they will do what Merkel will decide. She will play it to the buffers but .... we've seen it all before. It's a game as old as the hills. Just watch the money.
The EU is rules based, in control and have spelt out their red lines for a long time. NI got sorted in the WA so that's not being discussed any more. Level playing field, Dispute resolution and fisheries are what needs agreeing but you won't see much movement from the EU. It's their red lines, you must appreciate that. Merkel isn't saying anything, that's your and what seems most of the UK teams misunderstanding of the EU. There is no supreme leader just a co-op.

Lucky for you JOhnson has his morals and deadline, what is it 5hr's to go, I presume he will make a big announcement after the 9oClock news, will keep an eye out for that.
Luck that the UK holds all the cards, I got a look at Frosties hand earlier

papasmurf

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2020, 06:59:23 PM
I agree it isn't Farage has done a lot of damage.

I didn't mean that. It's just an excuse for Farage, BJ or anyone else to carry the can for the Brexit vote. The fishermen had more advice than that. They had a collective voice quite separately from their individual choice and vote.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2020, 06:57:15 PM
That really isn't good enough.

I agree it isn't Farage has done a lot of damage.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2020, 06:52:14 PM
They believed snake oil salesmen like Nigel Farage.

That really isn't good enough.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2020, 06:34:59 PM
So that still begs the question. Why did they vote for Brexit?

They believed snake oil salesmen like Nigel Farage.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2020, 06:29:21 PM
Baff  you really are talking nonsense you haven't got a clue what you are on about.
You come down here and "explain," to them, but I would suggest having the local ambulance service on speed-dial.

So that still begs the question. Why did they vote for Brexit? Presumably they consider themselves businessmen in this day and age. Perhaps your mate is just looking for an excuse to retire. Perhaps he thinks he can't keep up with the coming competition along Cornish beaches. Perhaps he simply doesn't like change and one thing is for sure. Change is coming. Only those businesses prepared to up their game and emerge from under the comfort blanket wielded by the EU for 45 years will survive and that's without the corvid problem.

Baff

Oh. I'm scared.

Why don't you get them to join the forum and I'll explain it to them. Or... as I think it more likely, they can explain it to you.
Frankly I doubt you give an accurate representation of what they think anway.

With fishermen being the most pro Brexit of us all.
They stand in strong opposition to you and always have.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 15, 2020, 06:24:36 PM
Then you should reassure him otherwise.
Just explain to him that he will still have the freshest and cheapest fish in the EU.

I appreciate you want all your friends to go out of business and are encouraging them to.
But there is no reason why they should, outside of your political vanity.

You will find there is going to be a big demand for fishing vessels as the UK gives more quota to domestic fisherman.
We currently don't have enough to service it.
That boat will be worth more on January than it is today.

The EU's argument is that since we don't have enough boats to fish all the fish... they should get to keep them. In case you weren't paying attention.

Do your friends a favour. Don't give them advice.

Baff  you really are talking nonsense you haven't got a clue what you are on about.
You come down here and "explain," to them, but I would suggest having the local ambulance service on speed-dial.

Baff

Then you should reassure him otherwise.
Just explain to him that he will still have the freshest and cheapest fish in the EU.

I appreciate you want all your friends to go out of business and are encouraging them to.
But there is no reason why they should, outside of your political vanity.

If they fish specifc area's of EU seas only, they may apply to the EU for a lisence to continue fishing there.... or.... fish for a different catch instead.

You will find there is going to be a big demand for fishing vessels as the UK gives more quota to domestic fisherman.
We currently don't have enough to service it.
That boat will be worth more in January than it is today.

The EU's argument is that since we don't have enough boats to fish all the fish in our seas... they should get to keep them. In case you weren't paying attention.

Do your friends a favour. Don't give them advice.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2020, 06:19:51 PM
..but Cornish and Devonshire fishermen voted Brexit.

The inshore fishermen  are now realising the gravity of their mistake.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 15, 2020, 06:16:19 PM
Baff you really do not have a clue what you are on about.
I live in a coastal village with numerous inshore fishermen.  They are in the main getting ready to cease trading, and I have a space prepared in by front garden for a free fishing boat as an ornament as the current owner only needs to tow it 50 yards. His boat wlll be worthless.

..but Cornish and Devonshire fishermen voted Brexit.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 15, 2020, 06:09:06 PM
Tariffs are irrelevent for the reasons already mentioned.

I don't expect delays at any other port than Calais.
Other ports are available.

Delays at Calais I expect to be temporary in nature.
Ultimately if the French fisherman block the port or it is unable to deal with our freight quickly, Rotterdam will take up the slack gladly.
They want the business.

I agree that fish heading to France from the UK will be less fresh than fish landed in France.
If the french refuse to land our fish, that may well reduce quality.
However, it will still be the freshest fish available to their markets.

Will UK people eat more fish?
Yes.

If there is a glut, domestic prices will fall.
If their are tariffs, add that to our depreciated currency and people will eat less imports.
Shopping habits will change to take into account the change in prices and availability of things.

Baff you really do not have a clue what you are on about.
I live in a coastal village with numerous inshore fishermen.  They are in the main getting ready to cease trading, and I have a space prepared in by front garden for a free fishing boat as an ornament as the current owner only needs to tow it 50 yards. His boat wlll be worthless.