General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

And yet we get better trade deals than the EU does.
Want to know why?

Because most of the EU's size is dead weight.

Economies of scale work both ways.

I'll give example.

The USSR.
Russia is richer without it.

The British Empire.
Britian is richer without it.

Because we are not carrying everyone else.
That shit costs money and it is not paid for evenly amongst the people in the EU.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:14:52 AMoooh.
Small.
Out of 186 economies, the 6th biggest is to be considered "small" now.

FFS mate.

We have the fish mate.
We sell to anyone who wants to buy it.

If the EU countries happen to like it, and we know they do, it happens to be the cheapest and freshest on the market.

If they don't want it, the Russians do.

And if no one wants it, we let the little fishy's swim in the sea. Where they are very happy.

Yes it is. The big boys wearing big boy trousers are the EU, USA, China and emerging markets that will join the India and Africa as a block. You might just include Japan, but it's not really big.

The UK is then a big small country, with Brexit about to really dent the UK services market which is 80% of the UK economy the future isn't bright.

Fish is a very small part of the UK economy, really not worth worrying about. A tiny portion of the EU economy, but it's the only card (you saw the cards Frost has, posted those earlier) the UK has, lets face it, a pair of 2's beats UK fishing all day.

Baff

And?

Are you saying that record investment in FDI is a bad thing?

And yes, foreign investment fell from the highest on record by 36% to....the second highest on record.

And again you are saying that like it is a bad thing.

The two highest years on record, at a time when "Remain" predicted an economic disaster and no one being willing to invest in the UK any more.

It is quite the most moronic stuff.
The amount of complete arse you people talk.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 12:59:50 AM
https://www.businessfirstonline.co.uk/advice/what-is-behind-the-record-foreign-investment-in-uk-tech/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-holds-more-foreign-investment-than-germany-and-france-combined

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/is-foreign-investment-in-the-uk-really-at-a-record-high

https://www.icaew.com/technical/business-and-management/economy-and-business-environment/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

Real wage growth.

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/ea036.pdf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49328855

Pre Covid unemployment.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/employmentintheuk/september2019

Pre Covid Consumer spending
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/satelliteaccounts/bulletins/consumertrends/apriltojune2019

Pre Covid car sales.

Sorry, but look this shit up for yourself.
Something you should have done before posting.

Pre Covid exports.

Because I CBA to link more.

The economy has quite literally been booming for 3+ years while you have been crying "disaster".
You couldn't make this shit up.

I just looked at your second link, it talks about the record high FDI in the UK, better than Germany or France. Then you read on and it explains that that figure is the value of stock the FDI investment over all time has in the UK in terms of pounds 1.5T. What Johnson didn't mention is the fall in FDI into the UK over 2017/2018 by 37% and equity investments falling by 50%...

Boris Johnson was talking about "stock" in his speech. The book value of foreign investments at the end of 2018 was actually higher than £1.3 trillion – it was around £1.48 trillion, according to the UN.

This was indeed a record high, and higher than any other EU country. In fact, Britain ranked third in the world for inward FDI stock in 2018, behind Hong Kong and the United States.

Mr Johnson didn't mention the alternative "flow" figure though, possibly because the latest numbers do not show a record high. In fact, FDI flows to the United Kingdom declined by 36 per cent between 2017 and 2018, as new equity investments halved, according to the UN data.

As you say you couldn't make this shit up, but you did.

Baff

oooh.
Small.
Out of 186 economies, the 6th biggest is to be considered "small" now.

FFS mate.

If the EU had an army or a Navy at all, which it doesn't.
Although it does want one. Project of peace you see, needs to be able to start wars.
Hitler had his own private army too. Same reason. To unite Europe.

If the EU member states combined their armies and Navy's which they have never in the history of man been able to do once... You'd have a bunch of noobs with some out of date gear.

We have the fish.
We sell to anyone who wants to buy it.

If the EU countries happen to like it, and we know they do, it happens to be the cheapest and freshest on their market.

If they don't want it, the Russians do.

And if no one wants it, we let the little fishy's swim in the sea. Where they are very happy.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 12:14:49 AMYes mate...bla bla bla....No biggie.
Baff nobody but you is talking about WW111. Nobody is talking about sanctions, put the gun back in the lockup. What you need to realise is the UK is now small, if you were to bother comparing the countries of the EU combined army/navy it would make the UK's look very small. I've shown how a handful of paddies in ford cortina's out numbered by 700 to 1.
It's simple really, the EU stop buying UK fish, no point in UK fishermen catching fish that doesn't sell in the UK, soon after UK fishermen sell their UK quota to french fishermen. People like eating fresh not frozen fish, well in Ireland they do.

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 12:12:52 AM
I answered the question about success (post #1076).  Don't try to muddy the waters with GDP, that was a separate issue based on the numbers you quoted.
This is what you wrote about success
Well it pissed off all the limp wristed Lilly livered lefty remoaners no end for a start, that's  worth a billion right there.
You do know that historically when the British leave chaos reigns? The EU will be different, but in a year or so when Brexit is shown to be a success, the eyes of countries like France, Italy and the NetherLands will be looking at Britain and wanting the same. Italy already wants it and a vast majority of the Netherlands does too. So there is a success, driving the final nail into the failed EU project.

You didn't answer it, come on, some news where there's been a financial success re brexit... ?

I can't be bothered to show where you first posted a GDP ratio with national debt. But it was in response to me asking for a example of a success story... A ratio that has nothing to do with the question was posted.

Do you give in, no success.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 12:43:04 AM
I thought that worked better in the context of rolling out the navy
All great with the North and South, no border as Johnson was good enough to put a border in the UK when he signed, sealed and delivered the WA. Thats when the EU ensured that there would be no border in Ireland. Hows the borders in the UK going ?

Yes, you keep telling yourself that.
The UK border is in the same place it has always been.

You will find that Mrs Mays attempt to move it into the Irish Sea was removed by Mr Johnson.
And you have agreed this.

You were so convinced you had done it too.
That you had the UK on the ropes.
And now all you've got left is denial.
Bit sad really.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 12:40:24 AM
Interesting conversation doesn't seem to be part of your skill set either.

Lol! You're a worthy opponent, Baffled.' Interesting conversation'. Good one.

I'm off to bed now. I'll be back when someone who can put up a half-decent fight shows up. Looks like Cromwell has copped out of the other 'conversation.'
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on October 15, 2020, 10:06:56 PM
That doesn't really work. It's all in the spelling, Gerry.
By the way, how's the preparations for the border checks going, which the EU will ensure you make?

I thought that worked better in the context of rolling out the navy
All great with the North and South, no border as Johnson was good enough to put a border in the UK when he signed, sealed and delivered the WA. Thats when the EU ensured that there would be no border in Ireland. Hows the borders in the UK going ?

Baff

Interesting conversation doesn't seem to be part of your skill set either.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 12:34:00 AM
He couldn't be worse at it than you, let's face it.

Yeah, but I'm not an itinerant. Second-sight isn't supposed to be part of my skill-set.
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Baff

He couldn't be worse at it than you, let's face it.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 12:31:43 AM
I'd worry about your own if I were you.
Your country is the next to leave the EU.

Has Porky been reading your tealeaves as well?