Obesity: Have 20 years of policies had any effect?

Started by GBNews, July 28, 2020, 04:49:12 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Anyone with a BMI over 25 needs a talking to. Anyone with a BMI over 30 needs a serious talking to. It's all about self control, something so many people refuse to accept they are responsible for.

yeah. Perhaps next time i see an arse drowning in a sea fit to make an old spice ad, I should say, Sarah, our muscles have given us both BMI's of 28+, we will just have to let them drown we're too unfit to save them...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on July 30, 2020, 12:18:49 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on July 30, 2020, 12:01:53 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on July 29, 2020, 11:59:40 PM
Quote from: cromwell on July 29, 2020, 11:40:43 PM
Might be better to provide evidence to the contrary than accuse ignorance.
Your dad is rather compelling evidence that it is not just down to lifestyle choices.

But more learned evidence is easy to find....

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/genetics#genetics-vs.-environment
It can be either or, but it is fair to say obesity does create a good deal of type 2.

Maybe, but type 2 is easily treated so I just carry on being a fattie and drugging up twice a day.

More to the point, if Bojo is trying to whip up a storm because some of us have wives and sweethearts who like to see us well feed, then it looks as though the Chinese flu has run its course and the Blond Moppett is looking for another non issue to make a fuss about.
At a wild guess conformity of the masses comes way up the list before education of the masses. Which at another wild guess the US is paying dearly for.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Your dad is rather compelling evidence that it is not just down to lifestyle choices.

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/genetics#genetics-vs.-environment

Your evidence suggests exercise, healthy diet and healthy snacks to combat type 2 diabetes. The genetics is just the beginning part.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/20-tips-to-eat-well-for-less/

The NHS's own website gives a rundown for those counting the pennies on how to make them go further and also eat healthy . All pretty basic common sense really .

I dont personally think the main meal is that much of a contributory factor in obesity though . Its the snacking between meals  that does it

Borchester

It can be either or, but it is fair to say obesity does create a good deal of type 2.

Maybe, but type 2 is easily treated so I just carry on being a fattie and drugging up twice a day.

More to the point, if Bojo is trying to whip up a storm because some of us have wives and sweethearts who like to see us well feed, then it looks as though the Chinese flu has run its course and the Blond Moppett is looking for another non issue to make a fuss about.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

It can also be due to the pancreas slowing down through old age or through disease. But the growth in children would be mostly due to obesity/bad diet.

srb7677

Obesity can be a factor too yes. It is not all down to genetics anymore than it is all down to lifestyle choices. It can as you say be either or.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on July 29, 2020, 11:45:00 PM
I would suspect that a hidden problem for many at the bottom of the social ladder, is the poor or otherwise lacking provision of proper cooking facilities.
I see first hand what some landlords get away with in some properties and the pressure of competition for usage in many HMO's.
Not much point in buying good healthy ingredients if you have nowhere to store them, little facility to prepare them and very inadequate/missing/poorly maintained cooking appliances.
Fair point
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

I would suspect that a hidden problem for many at the bottom of the social ladder, is the poor or otherwise lacking provision of proper cooking facilities.
I see first hand what some landlords get away with in some properties and the pressure of competition for usage in many HMO's.
Not much point in buying good healthy ingredients if you have nowhere to store them, little facility to prepare them and very inadequate/missing/poorly maintained cooking appliances.

cromwell

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 29, 2020, 11:30:42 PM

Can't believe it's all down to a crappy lifestyle,my old man was diagnosed with type 2 late in life.
He wasn't overweight nor did he eat crappy  unhealthy food and apart from that he was never off sick in his hard working life.
You are of course perfectly correct. Whilst lifestyle choices can be a factor, genetic inheritance is also a factor. To deny that betrays ignorance on Nick's part

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2020, 11:13:00 PM
Quote from: srb7677 on July 29, 2020, 10:51:05 PM
Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2020, 10:46:00 PM

In essence, type 2 diabetes says your lifestyle is shit and you need to change, that is your problem to fix, not the governments.
That is a rather ignorant and excessively judgemental statement. Type 2 diabetes can often be a genetic inheritance. Diet and lifestyle can help manage it but cannot prevent it if it is in your genes.

Ignorant? At least I can spell my name!!

Genetic inheritance means what? You got it from your parents.
All that says is that maybe your parents had a bad diet and developed type 2, therefore increased your chances of having it through genetics.
How did the first person in history get type 2? It ain't genetic is it.
It is a well established fact that diabetes can have genetically inherited factors. But by all means continue to trumpet your ignorance if you insist.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2020, 11:18:37 PM
Quote from: Borchester on July 29, 2020, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: Nick on July 29, 2020, 11:00:05 PM
Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Anyone with a BMI over 25 needs a talking to. Anyone with a BMI over 30 needs a serious talking to. It's all about self control, something so many people refuse to accept they are responsible for.

That is a very simplified view Barry. I have spent the best part of 35 years working around the world, therefore 35 years in hotels. For example, China is MSG personified, USA is lard city. My wife was a chef in an Italian restaurant so when I'm home I eat healthy, problem is that's only 20% of the time, the other 80% I'm restricted to the food culture of where I am. At present I am working at LCY airport and my choices are, hotel which is not the best, Chinese, Indian, Lebanese or some micro pop-up stalls that have been granted licenses by the council.

So no, I have very little options for food. The caveat to this is that I drink too much red wine, my bad. But my point still stands that it is not necessarily down to personal choice.

Pappy's beef that Boris doesn't regulate what he puts in his mouth is pathetic, and quite frankly is just another anti blue attack.

According to Petronella Wyatt, Boris's ex girlfiend, Bojo runs and cycles and plays sports and never loses a pound because the only thing he likes more than a plate of sausages and chips is a bigger plate of sausages and chips.

If possible, I will vote for him twice.

These people won't accept their part in having type 2 diabetes through a crappy lifestyle, it's all genetics. So the sooner they all die off and stop spreading their crap genes the better.
Can't believe it's all down to a crappy lifestyle,my old man was diagnosed with type 2 late in life.
He wasn't overweight nor did he eat crappy  unhealthy food and apart from that he was never off sick in his hard working life.