Better late than never I suppose, after all this time how to cope with shielding

Started by papasmurf, July 30, 2020, 04:37:50 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on August 01, 2020, 09:48:30 AM

Looks like more than a couple of smurfys neighbours
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-53571128

from the link.......

QuoteBut Adrienne Munday, a small business owner there, said Covid-19 concerns had been "over dramatised" in the media and most people were delighted to welcome back the "summer buzz".

Drama queens over dramatising seems to be the same across much of the western world at the minute.

QuoteThere were 20 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Cornwall in the week up to 26 July, a rise of 14 from the previous week.

A Cornwall Council spokesperson said: "To help guide people in city and town centres we have marked 'keep right' walkways and put up signing, and there are street wardens on hand to offer advice.

"Cornwall Council will continue to monitor congested sites and provide signs and marshals where they may help, but we ask everyone to be considerate of others and follow public health guidance to help reduce the risk of transmission."

Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall said: "It seems busier than ever but we are actually below the normal peak levels".

So despite the headline locals being too scared to go shopping and talking of "benidorm on steroids" , the fact of the matter is its much ado about nuthing and the head of the cornish tourist board is saying numbers are below normal levels for the time of year.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 01, 2020, 05:53:48 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 01, 2020, 05:52:07 PM

So you keep promising. What about the other average of 5 people?

That is you on ignore I really cannot be bothered with idiots.
Thank gawd for that.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 01, 2020, 05:52:07 PM

That is you on ignore I really cannot be bothered with idiots.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 01, 2020, 05:35:06 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 01, 2020, 04:04:47 PM
I have just been along the seafront, it is packed the money is rolling in and nobody is wearing a mask, I shouted out of the window at them, that the Smurf and his vigilantes will be looking for them, but they couldn't careless.

There is no seafront here. You are also coming very close to my not trying to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person limit.
If you can't be sensible you will have to be put on ignore.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 01, 2020, 04:04:47 PM
I have just been along the seafront, it is packed the money is rolling in and nobody is wearing a mask, I shouted out of the window at them, that the Smurf and his vigilantes will be looking for them, but they couldn't careless.

There is no seafront here. You are also coming very close to my not trying to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person limit.
If you can't be sensible you will have to be put on ignore.

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 01, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

would this be a statement on behalf of the Cornish tourist board, or just in the world of Smurf?

Local residents, who would probably lynch the man in charge of the Cornish Tourist Board if they get the opportunity.

I just got an everything is well in the World news letter from the local Tory MP. He won't like the detailed reply I sent him.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 01, 2020, 10:07:30 AM

Quite. It is what is not in that report is the problem.
I had to go out last Wednesday and Friday, the Ball and Chains Motorcycle went in for its annual "birthday" and MOT.
I had to take a magical mystery tour route as the main road was rammed solid. (It appears most of the current crop of tourists have never taken a driving test or read the Highway code.)
Even the magical mystery tour route was infested with dangerous drivers.
Also the number of cars "abandoned," causing obstructions is too many to count.
The village green has a very large notice:- NO OVERNIGHT STAYS yet last night several were parked "circle the waggons," style with a party going on in the middle. (My wife had gone out for a late walk hoping it would be safe.)

I suspect it will not be long unless the police do something that vigilante action is inevitable.
would this be a statement on behalf of the Cornish tourist board, or just in the world of Smurf?

papasmurf

Quite. It is what is not in that report is the problem.
I had to go out last Wednesday and Friday, the Ball and Chains Motorcycle went in for its annual "birthday" and MOT.
I had to take a magical mystery tour route as the main road was rammed solid. (It appears most of the current crop of tourists have never taken a driving test or read the Highway code.)
Even the magical mystery tour route was infested with dangerous drivers.
Also the number of cars "abandoned," causing obstructions is too many to count.
The village green has a very large notice:- NO OVERNIGHT STAYS yet last night several were parked "circle the waggons," style with a party going on in the middle. (My wife had gone out for a late walk hoping it would be safe.)

I suspect it will not be long unless the police do something that vigilante action is inevitable.

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on July 31, 2020, 06:00:12 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 31, 2020, 02:03:04 PMI had to go out today, and unless it is a dire emergency, I will not be going out again for months. It is too bloody dangerous.
As one of my neighbours said the morning "we are getting a terrible type of tourist here this year." (In my opinion that is an understatement.)
You mean you now think two or three neighbours made the remark about tourists?
On the other point — you appear to have made a sensible decision by taking your own circumstances into account. But with people criticising the modified laws and advice issued as knowledge increases, it appears many of them are unable to apply common sense to their own situations. Sometimes I wonder whether they have their footwear marked R and L and (according to my brother in law) their knickers marked C&A...
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 31, 2020, 06:00:12 PM

Think?  It was a comment, (from a social distance,) this morning.  There is widespread, and there is no other way to put it hatred of  tourist locally now.
There are causing  a lot of problems, that have not happened before. Hence the "we are getting a terrible type of tourist here this year."comment.
From the traffic jams today (20 miles long on the M5), and jammed in a number of other places, it look as if 1/2 million potential plague carriers have arrived for a holiday. (They seem intent on wrecking the place. from the anti-social behaviour of far too many of them. They don't seem to understand the Covid-19 rules apply here as well.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 31, 2020, 02:03:04 PMI had to go out today, and unless it is a dire emergency, I will not be going out again for months. It is too bloody dangerous.
As one of my neighbours said the morning "we are getting a terrible type of tourist here this year." (In my opinion that is an understatement.)
On the other point — you appear to have made a sensible decision by taking your own circumstances into account. But with people criticising the modified laws and advice issued as knowledge increases, it appears many of them are unable to apply common sense to their own situations. Sometimes I wonder whether they have their footwear marked R and L and (according to my brother in law) their knickers marked C&A...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 31, 2020, 01:52:11 PM

So that seems to indicate a conscious decision to get the information out there before most shielding people were officially street legal on 1 August...

I had to go out today, and unless it is a dire emergency, I will not be going out again for months. It is too bloody dangerous.

patman post

Quote from: patman post on July 31, 2020, 01:27:32 PM

From the tone of your post I guess you're certain there's not been either a mail delay or a swift PHE reaction to a rise in complaints that those people

Quote from: papasmurf on July 31, 2020, 01:42:01 PMQuite certain the paperwork with it was dated only a few days ago.
So that seems to indicate a conscious decision to get the information out there before most shielding people were officially street legal on 1 August...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...