Are the BBC for real.

Started by Nick, October 30, 2019, 09:11:31 AM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=3296 time=1572533796 user_id=83
The religion of Brexit : apply logic and factual scrutiny to all other aspects of your life, but when it comes to Brexit thou shalt not think critically, thou shalt believe in Britain.

In reference to me, empty words that have no substance.  And as Borchester kindly points out, in lieu of my absent memory, the editor is a Remainer, so the evidence shows the delusion is all yours.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Borchester

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=3220 time=1572507840 user_id=59
Daily Mail is fast becoming a Remainer paper, I think that's the one that was taken over by a Remainer not long ago.  The Sun isn't news, it's junk, so hardly has value for Brexiters.

The Daily Mail is edited by Geordie Greig, who is a stauch remainer. The Times advocated remain in 2016 and is currently looking to buy the Daily Telegraph. The London Evening Standard is edited by George Osborne who adores the EU and is almost terminally pissed off because even he has finally realised that his chances of getting back onto the government front benches are pathetically small.
Algerie Francais !

Conchúr

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=3220 time=1572507840 user_id=59
Daily Mail is fast becoming a Remainer paper, I think that's the one that was taken over by a Remainer not long ago.  The Sun isn't news, it's junk, so hardly has value for Brexiters.

You're entitled to your opinion Scott, but I can only express mine too: if you are trying to claim that the Daily Mail is a Remainer paper, then I have to tell you that you are engaging in an act of spectacular self-delusion.

Conchúr

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3223 time=1572508330 user_id=75
'Chancellor Sajid Javid has refused to recalculate Treasury assessments on the impact of the government's Brexit deal, saying it is "self-evidently in our economic interest.'

In other words it's easier to lie if you're not having to contradict your own governments updated impact assesment which will likely find the impact of Mr Johnson's deal will be worse than Mrs May.

I find it remarkable that UK politics has regressed to the point where the Chancellor can make such statement.

The Conservatives have given up all pretences of being the party of fiscal responsibility.

The religion of Brexit : apply logic and factual scrutiny to all other aspects of your life, but when it comes to Brexit thou shalt not think critically, thou shalt believe in Britain.

Ciaphas

'Chancellor Sajid Javid has refused to recalculate Treasury assessments on the impact of the government's Brexit deal, saying it is "self-evidently in our economic interest.'

In other words it's easier to lie if you're not having to contradict your own governments updated impact assesment which will likely find the impact of Mr Johnson's deal will be worse than Mrs May.

I find it remarkable that UK politics has regressed to the point where the Chancellor can make such statement.

The Conservatives have given up all pretences of being the party of fiscal responsibility.

Scott777

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=3203 time=1572477080 user_id=83
Who calls it a Utopia?  From what I've seen, Remainers see the EU as something which has been more successful than unsuccessful.  I've always found the Remainer view to be much more nuanced, while Leaver mentality tends to veer into total vilification of the EU.

As for the that irritating phrase "MSM". . .  the Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph and the Express have huge readerships in the UK so calling them anything other than mainstream is like calling the Pope a Hindu. Those papers hardly give the EU an easy ride do they ?

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Conchúr

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=3200 time=1572476718 user_id=59
If anything, the fervency and pseudo-religious insistence of Remainers that the EU is a utopia where everyone is treated well and we all live happily ever after is treated with praise by the MSM.

Who calls it a Utopia?  From what I've seen, Remainers see the EU as something which has been more successful than unsuccessful.  I've always found the Remainer view to be much more nuanced, while Leaver mentality tends to veer into total vilification of the EU.

As for the that irritating phrase "MSM". . .  the Sun, Daily Mail, Telegraph and the Express have huge readerships in the UK so calling them anything other than mainstream is like calling the Pope a Hindu. Those papers hardly give the EU an easy ride do they ?

Scott777

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=3133 time=1572455241 user_id=83
If anything, the fervency and pseudo-religious insistence of Brexiteers to believe in Brexit at all costs have actually led to them getting a far easier ride in the media than they really should.

If anything, the fervency and pseudo-religious insistence of Remainers that the EU is a utopia where everyone is treated well and we all live happily ever after is treated with praise by the MSM.

Javert

Quote from: Nick post_id=3152 time=1572459447 user_id=73
How the F@@@ can they model anything when they don't know what deals and how much the deals are going to be for. It's called guesswork not modelling.

You can make assumptions about what the most likely outcome of trade negotiations might be, what the impact on the current trade would be and how much if any additional trade would result.  e.g. you could assume that a trade deal with the US would result in zero tariffs on UK exports to the US of certain products, and that this would increase those exports by a certain amount.

You can make these assumptions based on being an expert in international trade, trade negotiations, and what are each countries' main strengths and weaknesses.

Alternative, you can just go around saying that we will make many billions more out of trade deals with non EU countries for sure because their combined GDP is bigger and therefore of course it's obvious that we will do much better trade deals - even my mate down the pub could figure that out.

I prefer the first approach of asking people who actually know a lot about it.

Nick

Quote from: Javert post_id=3148 time=1572458834 user_id=64
Did you read the post?  He stated that many of these models do assume that certain trade deals will be done.

How the F@@@ can they model anything when they don't know what deals and how much the deals are going to be for. It's called guesswork not modelling.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Javert

Quote from: Nick post_id=3145 time=1572458530 user_id=73
And all the anti-Brexit modelling is based on getting zero deals, and as we know the Government has over 10 deals ready to go.

As for the fact that trade with the EU and other countries not compensating, can I have your proof of that? I know the answer to that, and the answer is know, there isn't any.

Did you read the post?  He stated that many of these models do assume that certain trade deals will be done.

Nick

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=3142 time=1572457478 user_id=83
I'd agree that the BBC lacks bottle, or at least has done as regards Brexit. Ironically though to the point you're making, if they did actually have bottle on the matter of Brexit they would be eviscerating the baseless blustering of Brexiteers in the same way I would expect to have any baseless bluster on my part eviscerated in a business meeting, job interview or conference.

The only baseless facts are the financial ones coming from Remainers. Brexiteers have stated time and again that we are happy to take a hit on the economy and that nothing is certain. But Remainers know to the penny how much the UK will loose. Amazing!

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=3138 time=1572456849 user_id=88
This is great example of how brexiters get numbers out of proportion.

You make a play of the £108bn "we won't be sending to the EU", but that's the annual loss Vs remain. Comparing it with the cumulative "saving" over 10 years of EU contributions is comparing apples to oranges.

Over 10 years, the cumulative GDP of the UK will be somewhere around £200,000 billion and the cumulative short fall (what you should be comparing the £100bn figure with) around £350bn.

A lot of the modeling assumes trade deals with the US, Japan, Australia, India, NZ, China etc.

The fact is that trade deals with far off countries do not have as great a beneficial as trade deals with closer countries.

The trading environment with our biggest and closest partner will get worse.  There is no way around that fact.  Trading will be harder than now.  There will be more friction in both directions and there is no chance of it being better.

The trade environment with other countries may get a little easier but it simply won't be able to compensate.

And all the anti-Brexit modelling is based on getting zero deals, and as we know the Government has over 10 deals ready to go.

As for the fact that trade with the EU and other countries not compensating, can I have your proof of that? I know the answer to that, and the answer is know, there isn't any.

Conchúr

Quote from: Borchester post_id=3140 time=1572456988 user_id=62
No.

The BBC's job is to survive and for that it needs the licence fee. Without that it would not last ten minutes against the commercial giants. So it tries not to offend left or right and cowers in the middle. And still gets brickbats from all sides.

The BBC's problem is not that it is Conservative or Labour or sympathetic to the Flat Earth Society. Its real problem is that it lacks bottle.

I'd agree that the BBC lacks bottle, or at least has done as regards Brexit. Ironically though to the point you're making, if they did actually have bottle on the matter of Brexit they would be eviscerating the baseless blustering of Brexiteers in the same way I would expect to have any baseless bluster on my part eviscerated in a business meeting, job interview or conference.

Borchester

Quote from: Javert post_id=3128 time=1572453347 user_id=64
You do realise that the job of BBC news and its journalists it to report the news and what is happening.

No.

The BBC's job is to survive and for that it needs the licence fee. Without that it would not last ten minutes against the commercial giants. So it tries not to offend left or right and cowers in the middle. And still gets brickbats from all sides.

The BBC's problem is not that it is Conservative or Labour or sympathetic to the Flat Earth Society. Its real problem is that it lacks bottle.
Algerie Francais !