Britannia does not rule the waves.

Started by HDQQ, August 24, 2020, 08:15:34 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on August 28, 2020, 10:58:23 PM
It's tradition!. We don't have a national costume or many traditions. I see no good reason for not allowing people to sing songs that rouse them and have emotional value. The country is turning into a dull grey mass of empty rhetoric. Turning every which way to appease dissenting voices leaves us valueless and directionless.

That's fair, but the reason was wrt spreading COVID. Don't you think mass singalongs are a bit ..risky? If everyone's distanced and maybe masked then in principle it should be ok, if muffled.
+++

T00ts

It's tradition!. We don't have a national costume or many traditions. I see no good reason for not allowing people to sing songs that rouse them and have emotional value. The country is turning into a dull grey mass of empty rhetoric. Turning every which way to appease dissenting voices leaves us valueless and directionless.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: HDQQ on August 27, 2020, 12:45:35 PM
Oh well, it seems like they're going to be singing this silly song again next year.

Quite apart from whether or not Rule Britannia is politically correct or not, I still maintain it's ridiculous since while we did rule the waves 150 years ago, we certainly don't now and the way things are going Britannia herself is in great danger of falling apart.

It's embarrassing enough having a national anthem that's all about asking a fictional being to save a hereditary monarch without having to endure more of these silly, pompous and clumsily worded dreary durges from a different era.

Lol.

I thought the Brexiters would be the ones FUMING(!) that the song be banned!

It's a total Remoaner Commie LGBTQLSD trip, dear boy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sDtyJyidhlc

😆 Well, fair enough if the Brexiters are defending THAT. I can't stand it myself because it's just not my thing, but I love the rest of the proms, and Elgar and some Britten pieces etc, but none of that thanks.
+++

HDQQ

Oh well, it seems like they're going to be singing this silly song again next year.

Quite apart from whether or not Rule Britannia is politically correct or not, I still maintain it's ridiculous since while we did rule the waves 150 years ago, we certainly don't now and the way things are going Britannia herself is in great danger of falling apart.

It's embarrassing enough having a national anthem that's all about asking a fictional being to save a hereditary monarch without having to endure more of these silly, pompous and clumsily worded dreary durges from a different era.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 26, 2020, 09:39:39 PM
Thats a ridicules poll . How many people know all the words to any song  and frankly how can 21% of people not know any of the words ?

Q Do you know any of the words to the song Rule Britannia ?
A No I dont know any of the words

Who were they fecking asking  ,stupid and stupider  ?

Careful, JoG might send a cruise missile your way by "accident".

(He is a yougov poll answerer :) )
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: Dynamis on August 26, 2020, 09:38:12 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2020, 07:03:28 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on August 25, 2020, 12:08:13 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53895000

BBC retreat and WILL be playing it.

But without an audience, will there be any bloody point ??

Not really (a lot of point) ,now saying no singing allowed . I guess as there  is nobody to sing in the hall they mean us at home . Not that I would be watching it mind but its a bit of a cheek telling us what we can do in our own drum .

Ive been to the proms , not the last night but a 'rock' spectacular  that was a load of crap written by the guys in Deep Purple . The only decent bit was  when they came on stage armed  with electric guitars and treated us to a few rifts of Smoke on the water before the violins took over and sent us running for the exit and the nearest boozer which for those in the know is the student bar at the Imperial college .

Where the proms goes from here is probably BBC radio 6 ,the Albert Hall already in financial trouble has alienated a market of potential punters even if it was for one time only

May as well leave the last night  to the EU flag waving tossers  who can riminess of times gone by and play Ode to joy to their hearts content and get ripped off having a couple of pints in Knightsbridge because obviously ,they are not in the know .

Oh no do you mean Blackforest gateaux or whatever Ritchie Blackmore's renaissance band was called. 😆

No it was Deep Purple . I recall they wrote it to prove rock and classical can go together .  They didn't succeed

Streetwalker

Thats a ridicules poll . How many people know all the words to any song  and frankly how can 21% of people not know any of the words ?

Q Do you know any of the words to the song Rule Britannia ?
A No I dont know any of the words

Who were they fecking asking  ,stupid and stupider  ?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2020, 07:03:28 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on August 25, 2020, 12:08:13 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53895000

BBC retreat and WILL be playing it.

But without an audience, will there be any bloody point ??

Not really (a lot of point) ,now saying no singing allowed . I guess as there  is nobody to sing in the hall they mean us at home . Not that I would be watching it mind but its a bit of a cheek telling us what we can do in our own drum .

Ive been to the proms , not the last night but a 'rock' spectacular  that was a load of crap written by the guys in Deep Purple . The only decent bit was  when they came on stage armed  with electric guitars and treated us to a few rifts of Smoke on the water before the violins took over and sent us running for the exit and the nearest boozer which for those in the know is the student bar at the Imperial college .

Where the proms goes from here is probably BBC radio 6 ,the Albert Hall already in financial trouble has alienated a market of potential punters even if it was for one time only

May as well leave the last night  to the EU flag waving tossers  who can riminess of times gone by and play Ode to joy to their hearts content and get ripped off having a couple of pints in Knightsbridge because obviously ,they are not in the know .

Oh no do you mean Blackforest gateaux or whatever Ritchie Blackmore's renaissance band was called. 😆
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 26, 2020, 09:11:57 PM
Poll asks Guardian readers and a load of black fellas in Dover if they know the words . 2% of Guardian readers and 30% of the Black fellas say they do know them ,the black fellas saying they thought they had better in case someone asks .

I thought (on a limb) I'd research this bit and lo and behold.

According to YouGov polling 58 per cent of the population believe the song should should be performed with the lyrics on the Last Night following suggestions it could just be an orchestral arrangement.

That's compared to just nine per cent who believe it should be played without – regardless of the Covid restrictions.

But the last majority (96 per cent) admitted to not knowing all the words to the song, while only 21 per cent would say they know most of the words.

That's a D+ for effort sir. ;)

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/status/1298288417592279041
+++

Streetwalker

That wasnt the timeline though was it Dynamis .
The BBC said the bird conductor from Finland or wherever thought it a good idea to give it a miss this year in line with BLM which she supports
https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/23/bbc-proms-considering-axing-rule-britannia-anthem-black-lives-matter-13166372/

Traditionalists and  Nationalist (whats it got to do with Brexit ) shout foul

Other people talk shite about our Imperialist history

Farage puts out a clip of him singing Rule Britannia from 2016 at the Brexit Victory party

Poll asks Guardian readers and a load of black fellas in Dover if they know the words . 2% of Guardian readers and 30% of the Black fellas say they do know them ,the black fellas saying they thought they had better in case someone asks .

Boris Johnson says the BBC are wet and History is just that, history . The song is actually  a celebration that all Britons including migrants ,black fellas included will never be slaves and they should be proud to be Brits .

The song goes to number one

The BBC say they are not playing it because of corona and there wont be anybody to sing it anyway

The Conductor bird gets hate mail , she then blames the BBC saying it wasnt her idea to pull the tunes

The only people that have gone mad are those who think messing with our traditions  is a good idea and the remoaners who , well they were mad in the first place

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on August 26, 2020, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 26, 2020, 07:54:35 AM

There are not many tunes or songs that come to mind for an English anthem , Jerusalem has been used at recent Commonwealth games medal ceremonies taking over from Land of hope and glory which was ditched  after the 2006 games . I guess it would be one of those .

This seems apt:-

Lyrics
Maggie Holland's original version of A Place Called England

I rode out on a bright May morning like a hero in a song,
Looking for a place called England, trying to find where I belong.
Couldn't find the old flood meadow or the house that I once knew;
No trace of the little river or the garden where I grew.

I saw town and I saw country, motorway and sink estate;
Rich man in his rolling acres, poor man still outside the gate;
Retail park and burger kingdom, prairie field and factory farm,
Run by men who think that England's only a place to park their car.

But as the train pulled from the station through the wastelands of despair
From the corner of my eye a brightness filled the filthy air.
Someone's grown a patch of sunflowers though the soil is sooty black,
Marigolds and a few tomatoes right beside the railway track.

Down behind the terraced houses, in between the concrete towers,
Compost heaps and scarlet runners, secret gardens full of flowers.
Meeta grows her scented roses right beneath the big jets' path.
Bid a fortune for her garden—Eileen turns away and laughs.

So rise up, George, and wake up, Arthur, time to rouse out from your sleep.
Deck the horse with sea-green ribbons, drag the old sword from the deep.
Hold the line for Dave and Daniel as they tunnel through the clay,
While the oak in all its glory soaks up sun for one more day.

Come all you at home with freedom whatever the land that gave you birth,
There's room for you both root and branch as long as you love the English earth.
Room for vole and room for orchid, room for all to grow and thrive;
Just less room for the fat landowner on his arse in his four-wheel drive.

For England is not flag or Empire, it is not money, it is not blood.
It's limestone gorge and granite fell, it's Wealden clay and Severn mud,
It's blackbird singing from the May tree, lark ascending through the scales,
Robin watching from your spade and English earth beneath your nails.

So here's two cheers for a place called England, sore abused but not yet dead;
A Mr Harding sort of England hanging in there by a thread.
Here's two cheers for the crazy diggers, now their hour shall come around;
We shall plant the seed they saved us, common wealth and common ground.

👍
+++

Streetwalker

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1327493/bbc-proms-land-of-hope-and-glory-number-one-itunes-chart-laurence-fox

After a short campaign started by Lawrence Fox and continued across social media Land of Hope and Glory has reached number 1 in the charts . The BBC Radio one chart show on Sunday will have to play it or face  yet another backlash from the public

Maybe next week we will get Rule Britannia in at number two .  Swing low sweet Chariot at three ,  this could be a fun distraction from the schools going back ,the covid numbers and the tories are killing us threads . 

Nalaar

Quote from: Thomas on August 25, 2020, 04:30:42 PMI think it time the english started taking pride in their country.

I'll probably be a lone voice in this - but taking pride in something that someone has no agency in seems folly, and ripe ground for tribalism, segregation, and prejudice.
Don't believe everything you think.