Started by Dynamis, August 27, 2020, 10:10:26 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 07, 2020, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 11:29:56 AM
Quote from: Nalaar on September 07, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 07, 2020, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: Nalaar on September 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 06, 2020, 05:32:25 PMDepends on how you program the computer, if it was an AI with awareness then yes. If it wasn't then no nalaar.

I agree that computers can be conscious, the question then becomes did we create the consciousness or was it already there. Neither possibility is overly satisfactory, but I'd lean on it already being there.
Here's a question. If a computer had actual consciousness and was self-aware, would it also have a conscience or would it be some kind of electronic sociopath? Would it have a soul?

I see no reason why it could not be both a sociopath, or act with compassion depending on the software it was running, just like humans.
I think the term soul is vague, unnecessary, and unlikely to exist inside humans much less robots.

Soul - the combination of body and spirit. One cannot survive without the other hence resurrection and Eternal life.
That supposition presupposes a belief in Christianity which many, including myself, do not share. I believe we have an immortal soul that has evolved over billions of years along with life itself, and which is successively reincarnated. I do not believe in the resurrection nor in eternal life for our bodies in any physical sense.

Nalaar it seems believes in neither your beliefs nor mine. But I guess it is a case of each to our own in terms of beliefs.

Nalaar and I are long term combatants on this point but it all will come down to choice in the end. I believe  ;D

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts
I think the term soul is vague, unnecessary, and unlikely to exist inside humans much less robots.

Soul - the combination of body and spirit. One cannot survive without the other hence resurrection and Eternal life.

Quote from: srb7677That supposition presupposes a belief in Christianity which many, including myself, do not share. I believe we have an immortal soul that has evolved over billions of years along with life itself, and which is successively reincarnated. I do not believe in the resurrection nor in eternal life for our bodies in any physical sense.

That's exactly what I mean by the term being vague, you both use the word "soul" but it means completely different things 
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 08:51:26 PM

I bet papa came out the womb with a rifle and a bayonet, ready to start killing Tories!

Yet more personal insults, you just can't stop can you.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2020, 11:29:56 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 06, 2020, 05:32:25 PMDepends on how you program the computer, if it was an AI with awareness then yes. If it wasn't then no nalaar.

I agree that computers can be conscious, the question then becomes did we create the consciousness or was it already there. Neither possibility is overly satisfactory, but I'd lean on it already being there.
Here's a question. If a computer had actual consciousness and was self-aware, would it also have a conscience or would it be some kind of electronic sociopath? Would it have a soul?

I see no reason why it could not be both a sociopath, or act with compassion depending on the software it was running, just like humans.

That supposition presupposes a belief in Christianity which many, including myself, do not share. I believe we have an immortal soul that has evolved over billions of years along with life itself, and which is successively reincarnated. I do not believe in the resurrection nor in eternal life for our bodies in any physical sense.

Nalaar it seems believes in neither your beliefs nor mine. But I guess it is a case of each to our own in terms of beliefs.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Nalaar

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nalaar

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar on September 06, 2020, 08:09:36 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 06, 2020, 12:32:38 AMI guess my question should more have emphasized the 'maybe' about a theoretical senseless person. I'm just saying we don't actually know what he's perceiving do we.

True, you can even go beyond that to confirm that we can not be sure if another person is conscious. The classic example is that of 'is it like something to be a bat' vs 'is it like something to be a rock' as far as our understand it is like something to be a bat (they have perception, experience etc) but not so with rocks. The same can be said for other humans. We know it is like something to be ourselves, but can only speculate that it is like something to be someone else.

Chambers brought this problem to attention with the famous p-zombie thought experiment.

The difference is that we're talking about another human, not a rock, but other than that you've hit the nail on the head yourself. ;)

QuoteSo who's to say he is really 'senseless' just because he doesn't perceive things as others do? That's all I'm.saying - but good article anyway.

Correct, and by extension - who's to say if a computer is senseless. We can program a robot to separate red and green apples, does the robot "see" red and green? Does the robot "sense" colour? Or is it another p-zombie, and at what point do the p-zombies reactions to red, green, pain, and joy become so seamless as to be indistinguishable from the (assumed to be conscious) human sat beside them, subject the same red, green, pain, and joy.

Depends on how you program the computer, if it was an AI with awareness then yes. If it wasn't then no nalaar.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on September 06, 2020, 12:32:38 AMI guess my question should more have emphasized the 'maybe' about a theoretical senseless person. I'm just saying we don't actually know what he's perceiving do we.

True, you can even go beyond that to confirm that we can not be sure if another person is conscious. The classic example is that of 'is it like something to be a bat' vs 'is it like something to be a rock' as far as our understand it is like something to be a bat (they have perception, experience etc) but not so with rocks. The same can be said for other humans. We know it is like something to be ourselves, but can only speculate that it is like something to be someone else.

Chambers brought this problem to attention with the famous p-zombie thought experiment.

QuoteSo who's to say he is really 'senseless' just because he doesn't perceive things as others do? That's all I'm.saying - but good article anyway.

Correct, and by extension - who's to say if a computer is senseless. We can program a robot to separate red and green apples, does the robot "see" red and green? Does the robot "sense" colour? Or is it another p-zombie, and at what point do the p-zombies reactions to red, green, pain, and joy become so seamless as to be indistinguishable from the (assumed to be conscious) human sat beside them, subject the same red, green, pain, and joy.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar on September 05, 2020, 11:45:32 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 11:32:05 PMWhat is red other than your perception of it?

Dan Dennent is probably the most articulate and well known of the qualia skeptics. I disagree with him, and I think that communication with a sense-less human could prove difficult For Dennetts position.

https://www.naturalism.org/philosophy/consciousness/dennett-and-the-reality-of-red

Thanks, very interesting article.

I guess my question should more have emphasized the 'maybe' about a theoretical senseless person. I'm just saying we don't actually know what he's perceiving do we.

So who's to say he is really 'senseless' just because he doesn't perceive things as others do? That's all I'm.saying - but good article anyway.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 11:32:05 PMWhat is red other than your perception of it?

Dan Dennent is probably the most articulate and well known of the qualia skeptics. I disagree with him, and I think that communication with a sense-less human could prove difficult For Dennetts position.

https://www.naturalism.org/philosophy/consciousness/dennett-and-the-reality-of-red

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 05, 2020, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 27, 2020, 10:10:26 AM
How do people with no way to smell, talk, hear, or see have thoughts?

What do they think? Do they think?

A further one;

How do people with all that + no (or barely any) sense of touch (feeling in most of their body) interpret or interact with the world?

what do you call a man with no body and no nose???

Nobody nose.
Quote from: Nick on September 05, 2020, 02:49:25 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 27, 2020, 10:10:26 AM
How do people with no way to smell, talk, hear, or see have thoughts?

What do they think? Do they think?

A further one;

How do people with all that + no (or barely any) sense of touch (feeling in most of their body) interpret or interact with the world?

If there is a sixth sense maybe it comes to the fore when all other senses are missing.
Quote from: T00ts on September 05, 2020, 03:27:10 PM
Perhaps if new babies could talk as soon as they were born they would answer so many questions.

Oh, I don't think they would. :)

Quote from: Nalaar on September 05, 2020, 09:44:47 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 27, 2020, 10:13:21 AM
I guess wrt one of the questions; most obviously you'd use the modern machines to send them thoughts directly and pickup what they're thinking.

That would seem to be the answer, a technological advancement could open the door to discussion with currently unconnectable consciousness.

A fundamental question that arises from this is whether the person would be able to experience qualia  that they are unable to sense, for example could the "redness" of red be communicated to someone who has never seen, and can't see red.

What is red other than your perception of it?

Maybe this senseless fella's perception (vs our perception of his lack of perception) is actually more perceptive than ours! ;)
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis on August 27, 2020, 10:13:21 AM
I guess wrt one of the questions; most obviously you'd use the modern machines to send them thoughts directly and pickup what they're thinking.

That would seem to be the answer, a technological advancement could open the door to discussion with currently unconnectable consciousness.

A fundamental question that arises from this is whether the person would be able to experience qualia  that they are unable to sense, for example could the "redness" of red be communicated to someone who has never seen, and can't see red.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 05, 2020, 04:10:45 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 05, 2020, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 05, 2020, 03:27:10 PM
Perhaps if new babies could talk as soon as they were born they would answer so many questions.

"you call yourselves 'adults'? children are more grown up than you twots! I hope I don't turn out like em'!"

Or more Danny Dyer maybe..

"you mugging m

;D ;D ;D ;D It's a thought!

I bet papa came out the womb with a rifle and a bayonet, ready to start killing Tories!

+++