Did you like school? (Does not include further education.)

Started by papasmurf, September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

T00ts

I guess it's inevitable that as a girl my experience was very different. Primary was good, my first Grammar was all girls and was a bit bitchy when Dad's job moved I was relieved to change schools but it was Easter of my 4th year. My GCE's changed from London to Oxford Board and most syllabi changed. Zoology turned into botany in the Biology class, English lit changed all the books, Maths had done calculus and I had never seen it, they were on the 2nd time through Latin books that I had never seen although my grammar was probably better. Combined science became 3 separate subjects. I had been scheduled to take 13 subjects but the new school catered for just 9. Because I wanted to be a doctor sciences ruled and arts disappeared.

My first day I was befriended by a girl with a 6th Form brother. He lent me all his books and I seem to remember spending the whole year sitting on an ash tree stump in the garden swotting. It made for an interesting time. A co-ed country school and very different in style, atmosphere and social life from the all girls hot house that I had left! Thankfully the swotting paid off.

Borg Refinery

The first few days at my school, I saw some kid lose an eye (literally), head shoved on a nail by a much bigger kid..

I too faced a constant bully in the third year, he accosted me in the street with a knife, but the bit of change in my pocket was all I had and something just snapped... I kneed him as hard as I could in the balls and was about to grab his head and start slamming it into a lamppost, but (and this isn't an exaggeration) he ran off yelping. He must have forgot what happened because he continued to try and bully me at school (!), anyway I lost it again and whacked him in the head loads of times, he got up and shoved me over.. he was about to stamp on my chest I guess but I kicked him as hard as I could, propelling him into the radiator in the classroom. That was satisfying. Anyway I did it again, then the teacher stepped in the way of us as I got up.Guess what? He tried to start something with me again many years later in a chance encounter at the train station. The point is that some people have the brain of a chicken, they never ever learn.. It had its rough points but mostly school was a mixed blessing.
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 01, 2020, 02:25:01 PM

I suspect had I been allowed to go to the grammar school my 11+ pass entitled me to attend but shirley williams and the marxists of Cardiff's LEA conspired to prevent me attending by abolishing it , things may have been different.

That reminds me . I was at the local comprehensive when the Grammas were shut down and  the everywhere was equal but some were more equal than others system was brought in .
I ended up getting moved for my last year to an ex Gramma but you would never have known it . The headmaster was right old school and looking back wouldn't accept the change . Only Rugby and Cricket played here , teachers in black robes ,mortar boards and silence notices everywhere , you get the picture .

The first day assembly after singing Jerusalem the head is giving his speech laying down the law  to the new intake . The head boy whos father had brought him the TR7 that was parked in the staff car park as a reward for his achievement  stood next to him .

Anyway to cut a long story sideways the head boy starts to wilt ,slowly leaning into the head who gives him a nudge , well the  elbow and the kid goes head first off the stage . As the teachers scramble to the rescue the head bellows  'Leave him !'  they all return to their positions leaving the fainted one on the floor .

I remember thinking feck me Im going to keep my head down here , and I did .

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM
I didn't like school from the day I started primary school until my last day at Grammar School. On the day I got home from my last day at Grammar School I chopped my school cap to pieces with an axe.

In the middle of year four I finally had enough of the bullying shithead who had made my life a living hell since day one, snapped, and put him in hospital with a fractured skull with a little help from the seriously ornate fretwork adorning the edge of the the "our glorious dead" noticeboard in the main hall.

He was carted off to hospital, I cheered, clapped and danced, the cleaners were hastily summoned to cleanup the blood and volumes of puke others had chucked at the sight of said blood, I got carted off to be endlessly asked "well why did you not say anything about being bullied" by teachers who seemed increasingly pissed off with my "because i fucking did four years ago and you did F@@@ all about it" answers ....

The bullying shitbag never returned to school, maybe he never recovered. I did not give a F@@@. His sidekick who was actually nastier than him died of cancer at 48, I found out from a facebook group, I cheered and went out and got drunk to celebrate him dying.

The upside was I inherited the bullying shitbag's very pneumatic in the brave new world sense of the term harem.

I suspect had I been allowed to go to the grammar school my 11+ pass entitled me to attend but shirley williams and the marxists of Cardiff's LEA conspired to prevent me attending by abolishing it , things may have been different.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 09:52:00 AM
I didn't like school from the day I started primary school until my last day at Grammar School. On the day I got home from my last day at Grammar School I chopped my school cap to pieces with an axe.

Primary school was just an unpleasant experience, secondary had some nice moments but wasn't great for the most part, overall I'd say it was mixed.

Never had a uniform luckily, but I can see why others would enjoy it (someone came in first day in that get-up, with a briefcase and was labelled something akin to 'briefcase wanker', I guess some enjoy the blazers or whatever).
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 11:31:08 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on September 01, 2020, 10:49:05 AM

Education wise I did as little as I could get away with having reports of 'shows little effort ' 'lethargic doesn't cover it ' and even one memorable ' this boy needs a kick up the backside '

Happy days .

I once got a report in which the teacher remarked that if I had any brains I would be a half wit. But then I never was any good at music.

Overall I reckon I had a pretty good time. I skivved off as much as I could but at the end of the day it was a grammar school and I had effectively volunteered. And I did not realise what an easy time I had of it until I became a teacher myself and ended up in front of classes of poor little buggers who had no ambitions other than to leave school and sign on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=2m45s&v=GWn2kFMGnB8
+++

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 11:58:26 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 01, 2020, 11:46:32 AM
Well its a funny old world ain't it, my old Dad used to say best days of your life son, which I used to say, you don't know what you are talking about Dad, but then at 14 he was in a mine pulling a truck from the coal face to the pit pony with a rope around his belly, ah he thought time to escape this and join the army, where he spent 6 years having another chap or chaps trying to kill him because their beliefs were different from his, he spent most of the rest of his life just getting through and becoming angry very easily and handing out his brand of discipline, which always seemed a bit harsh, but then after he died one of his old work mates told me he had to kill a German with his bare hands because it was him or the German. Of course he did his duty, so maybe school wasn't so great, but it was a lot better than some things you could be faced with, I guess I learnt that the hard way.
Like i always tell you I have the best stories because they are true.

Come to think about it, that was something I really enjoyed about school. Most of my teachers had been in some man's army and if they did not have any true stories to tell, they still knew how to tell some great lies.
well I am pleased to say it jogged your memory and it wasn't all bad then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 12:03:30 PM

I told you the poor little sods were thick.

Compared with my childhood, I disagree. Currently there are so many Elfin Safety regulations, they can't get any experience and knowledge outside of school. (Or in it in some cases.)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 11:45:39 AM
Quote from: srb7677 on September 01, 2020, 11:43:31 AM

My attitude towards the school tie was very similar.

I cut mine up into little pieces.

Feck me you must have been minted . I wore mine for years . Not just the tie either . Mum took the badge off the blazer and my school uniform became my best suit , well my only suit till ,well for ever . Its a bit short in the arms now mind and the short trousers are a bit tight but theres still  some life in it yet .

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2020, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: Borchester on September 01, 2020, 11:31:08 AM
no ambitions other than to leave school and sign on.

They can't do that now the education leaving age has been raised.

I told you the poor little sods were thick.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on September 01, 2020, 11:46:32 AM
Well its a funny old world ain't it, my old Dad used to say best days of your life son, which I used to say, you don't know what you are talking about Dad, but then at 14 he was in a mine pulling a truck from the coal face to the pit pony with a rope around his belly, ah he thought time to escape this and join the army, where he spent 6 years having another chap or chaps trying to kill him because their beliefs were different from his, he spent most of the rest of his life just getting through and becoming angry very easily and handing out his brand of discipline, which always seemed a bit harsh, but then after he died one of his old work mates told me he had to kill a German with his bare hands because it was him or the German. Of course he did his duty, so maybe school wasn't so great, but it was a lot better than some things you could be faced with, I guess I learnt that the hard way.

Come to think about it, that was something I really enjoyed about school. Most of my teachers had been in some man's army and if they did not have any true stories to tell, they still knew how to tell some great lies.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Good old on September 01, 2020, 10:20:25 AM
I can not remember what happened to that cap , it was rarely on my head and treated with distain. In a bin for sure.
My attitude towards the school tie was very similar. Never wore the damned thing unless told to, and took it off again as soon as I rounded the nearest corner. I burnt it on the day I left.

It was a garishly horrible thing of maroon, blue, yellow, black and red and was about as pleasing to the eye as a turd on a dinner plate, and no more stylish.

It instilled in me a lifelong dislike of ties. I only ever wear one for very special occasions more for the benefit of others, or maybe job interviews. Have probably worn a tie less than 20 times since I left school 39 years ago.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.