Devon and Cornwall Police use dashcam footage to combat dangerous driving

Started by papasmurf, September 03, 2020, 08:04:52 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 10:21:23 AM

Have you been taking lessons from Hill Street Blues again papa? ;D

Not at all, there is no way I would waste that much ammunition on a powered model alligator.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 10:14:35 AM

My comment was prompted by the fact plod have publicly declared "zero tolerance" for illegal drug peddling even in the days when LSD was still legal. Yet today Christ knows how many decades later the street price of a fix continues to fall....

The police have never carried out a zero tolerance policy for illegal drug peddling. (Personal opinion in some cases because I suspect they are involved in it.)
The only big busts that have happened locally is when law enforcement from outside of the local police has been involved and not told the local plod until after the raids and the arrests.
Seven Tonnes of Cannabis and 250 kilos of cocaine were involved in two such cases.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on September 04, 2020, 09:49:30 AM

Which politician fed you that hogwash ?

None, it was the success of the policy that did for Ray "Robo Cop,"  Mallon.
Once you let the small things go in your area, bigger crimes happen, and before you know it your street ends up as a crime infested, drug blighted, graffitied, shithole.
(I suspect you have some experience of that.)

Have you been taking lessons from Hill Street Blues again papa? ;D
+++

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PM
Some of these incidents are clearly dangerous but I hate the growing trend whereby the public are asked to become snitches. We simply need more police on the roads, not turn us into a Stasi state spying on each other.
Dashcams often provide irrefutable evidence of a crime, and I have uploaded dashcam video to the police where a motorist almost killed a woman on a Pelican crossing failing to stop at the red light. The vehicle was also untaxed and uninsured.
How is that wrong on the part of the complainant. Society should never attack the whistle blowers.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 10:01:50 AM

Once you let the small things go in your area, bigger crimes happen, and before you know it your street ends up as a crime infested, drug blighted, graffitied, shithole.

My comment was prompted by the fact plod have publicly declared "zero tolerance" for illegal drug peddling even in the days when LSD was still legal. Yet today Christ knows how many decades later the street price of a fix continues to fall....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 08:55:37 AM

Not sure what you're implying here exactly, but best leave it there eh.

Well I suspect drug testing MPs before they are allowed into the debating chamber would have some interesting results as would alcohol testing.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on September 04, 2020, 08:52:54 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 08:47:26 AM

We shouldn't rat on folks for minor things but proper crimes, yes they should be reported, but he's right - more police is the key.

Zero tolerance results in near zero crime.

Well done mate, give yourself a pat on the back, you sound like Reagan in 1979. We can't all enforce the law with bikers' chains.

QuoteThe middle class are all for Law and Order until they get caught breaking the law.

Not sure what you're implying here exactly, but best leave it there eh.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on September 04, 2020, 08:47:26 AM

We shouldn't rat on folks for minor things but proper crimes, yes they should be reported, but he's right - more police is the key.

Zero tolerance results in near zero crime. The middle class are all for Law and Order until they get caught breaking the law.

Borg Refinery

srb's comment was well-written so as not to apologize for law breakers, whilst rightly condemning the totalitarian stasi snitch state we're increasingly finding ourselves living in.

Just look at the "not wearing a mask" snitch hotline bollocks. WTF is that supposed to be about?

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on September 04, 2020, 08:37:36 AM

Do you use the term 'snitches' to intentionally load the sentence to paint the reporting of an incident as a bad thing?

Normally only criminals used such terminology.  Concerned Citizens would be more apt.
Neighbourhood Watch get the same kind of insults, but I have as yet not heard anyone complain about the 15% discount on their home insurance being in a Neighbourhood Watch area get them.

Nalaar

Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PMthe public are asked to become snitches

Do you use the term 'snitches' to intentionally load the sentence to paint the reporting of an incident as a bad thing?
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 03, 2020, 11:52:27 PM
Some of these incidents are clearly dangerous but I hate the growing trend whereby the public are asked to become snitches. We simply need more police on the roads, not turn us into a Stasi state spying on each other.

I don't like it either, but locally for the last few months, it is bloody dangerous on local roads due to appalling driving, the accident rate is horrendous.
I fear for my wife's safety every time she goes shopping.
I am considering fitting a dash cam to our car.  I would fit one to my motorcycle if I thought it practical.  (Helmet cams are a bit unwieldy for me.)

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.