Main Menu

Facts about Covid-19

Started by Barry, September 08, 2020, 10:21:59 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2020, 02:25:11 PM

I don't see the point in testing 200,000 a day. At such a rate it would take nearly a year to test the entire country, by which time most everybody would either be dead or recovered.

Its like the placebo effect borkie.

The governemnt know fine well this flu is going to go wround every human in these islands ,and the world , so they have to be seen to be doing something to calm the peoples fears , when in reality they know they cant do anything about it.

Thats the hard feckin truth no one wants to talk about.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 22, 2020, 01:47:48 PM
Matt Hancock apparently showed his ignorance when he answered a question on false positives. He didn't understand the maths.

This is how it works:
NHS now testing 200,000 people a day.
Suppose 2000 (1%) are actually positive.
Say the false positive rate is 0.8% (It is known to be less than 1% but depends on lab procedure)
198,000 x 0.8%  = 1584 people are added to the positive tests, making 3,584. The result is now inflated by 79%.

Matt Hancock thought that 16 of the 2000 would be incorrect. Go to the bottom of the class.
How's my maths, Mr Borchester?

Pretty good Barry, although those 1584 could just as easily be subtracted from the total to Matt Hancock look good. But since nothing will ever make poor Hopeless Hancock look good, I will stick with your figures  :)

I don't see the point in testing 200,000 a day. At such a rate it would take nearly a year to test the entire country, by which time most everybody would either be dead or recovered.

The best thing would be to isolate me on my allotment and send the rest of the country back to work to pay for this nonsense

Edited by Forum Admin. Comment removed.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Matt Hancock apparently showed his ignorance when he answered a question on false positives. He didn't understand the maths.

This is how it works:
NHS now testing 200,000 people a day.
Suppose 2000 (1%) are actually positive.
Say the false positive rate is 0.8% (It is known to be less than 1% but depends on lab procedure)
198,000 x 0.8%  = 1584 people are added to the positive tests, making 3,584. The result is now inflated by 79%.

Matt Hancock thought that 16 of the 2000 would be incorrect. Go to the bottom of the class.
How's my maths, Mr Borchester?
† The end is nigh †

Barry

It's the under 35's that are getting it, apparently. Which is ideal to create herd immunity.

Note the protected age groups are not getting it passed on to them.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on September 15, 2020, 11:19:05 AM
The obvious danger of course is in this virus possibly taking off again as the colder weather arrives which is not far off now.

Plus to complicate matters further there will be a lot more colds and flu going around confusing the issue.

What if we feel like shit with a bad cold? Are we supposed to isolate in case it is covid? What if we are too ill with bad cold or flu to make it to a testing centre?

There are likely to be large numbers of people off work at any given time as a precautionary measure because it will not be clear whether they have just got a cold or frigging covid.

On the plus side though the various precautionary measures re distancing and masks and handwashing should hinder the spread of colds and flu too somewhat - hopefully.

But schools have always been a breeding ground for colds and flu and are likely to be for covid.
So ignore it and try to avoid all infections is the best advice.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Here's some more facts.

Current official UK stats:
Infected (tested positive) 385,936
Died within 28 days of a positive test 41,732

Showing antibodies in the UK - 6% of the population = 3.999,000
Death rate 41732/4,040,732 = 1.03%
39,000 of the deaths were over 75 years of age.
Less than 600 people under 45 have died.

These are facts to add perspective.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 15, 2020, 11:24:34 AM
The obvious danger of course is in this virus possibly taking off again

It already is.
It is likely to take off far more substantially yet.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

The obvious danger of course is in this virus possibly taking off again

It already is.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

The obvious danger of course is in this virus possibly taking off again as the colder weather arrives which is not far off now.

Plus to complicate matters further there will be a lot more colds and flu going around confusing the issue.

What if we feel like shit with a bad cold? Are we supposed to isolate in case it is covid? What if we are too ill with bad cold or flu to make it to a testing centre?

There are likely to be large numbers of people off work at any given time as a precautionary measure because it will not be clear whether they have just got a cold or frigging covid.

On the plus side though the various precautionary measures re distancing and masks and handwashing should hinder the spread of colds and flu too somewhat - hopefully.

But schools have always been a breeding ground for colds and flu and are likely to be for covid.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Well we could always say, the Swedes reckon you have all been full of shit from the start and they seem to have been proved right.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Here's some indisputable facts.

The current rate of infections in the UK is rising, now at about 3,500 per day. When the first rise in infections was at this stage, it was 2nd April and there were 640 deaths per day. Currently there are 7 deaths per day. There are far more tests being done than on 2nd April.

In fact, on 2nd April there were around 12,000 tests being done each day.
On 10th September there were 227,000 tests being done.

Therefore the ratio of positive tests is about 19 times less than it was then.
i.e. on 2nd April more than 25% of tests were positive.
On 10th September only 1.27% of tests were positive.

Therefore, although the positive figures appear similar, the infection rate in society is 20 times lower.
The increase in cases, R rate > 1 is a concern to many.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on September 13, 2020, 03:39:35 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 13, 2020, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2020, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 13, 2020, 11:34:11 AM

And that is your (and this forums) biggest problem. As such you are a privileged individual, who in a spectacular display of irony spends much of his time whinging about "tourists" in an area whose whole economy relies heavily on tourism to survive.

Locally does not rely on tourism at all, it is 11% of the local economy little of which end up with the people who live here.
It is a very short tourist season. Mainly staffed by seasonal staff from outside of the county, and a large tranche of the tourism based business is not  locally owned.
The particularly vile type of tourist who rocked up this year are not the usual ones at all. (That applies nationally not just to Cornwall.)
It is going to cost local council taxpayers a lot to do a clean up when they have gone.
You and other here rant on as if I am in a minority of one.
It the the majority of the local population complaining, whilst the local tourism "boss" and the MP have their head firmly up their backsides.

tourism is the second largest part of the cornish economy after agriculture.

Both industries heavily rely on the mass movement of people into cornwall  , which you oppose.
The largest part of Cornish Agriculture is via the Duchy of Cornwall, which the profits go into Charlie's pockets, it isn't a direct income like Tourism, which is spread across the board, even into local agriculture, with buying local produce, the Cornish economy would completely collapse without it. Smurf is a blithering idiot.

aye i remember years ago sheep reading an article about the duchy of cornwall ,and how the prince makes his money.

For exmaple the duchy of cornwall owns the land dartmoor prison stands on  , and government has to pay some thing like( at the time fo reading) three quarters of a million pounds per annum rent.

As for smurf , what more can we say?

Sheepy

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 13, 2020, 10:49:17 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2020, 09:23:13 AMIt is people like him who are the problem. If there had been 100% compliance with the regulations the problem would have been gone  months ago.

He isn't the one constantly complaining, bleating about litter and tourists, and telling everyone he will die unless the whole world locks itself away and hide under the fecking bed

While you've been hiding away in your retirement home, many of us have worked day in day out through lockdown, including many weekends and much overtime to try and make up for staff shortages due to self isolation and limp-wristed individuals refusing to come to work even though they work in mandated essential industries and services. Last week was the first week off I've had off this year, and a lot of the guys I work with have done the same - we've had to, because much of the work our business does idiots like you take for granted

The truth is papasmurf, the only reason you are able to lock yourself away is because millions of ordinary workers kept going to work, not just nurses and doctors but 10s of thousands of support workers, to ensure that hospitals could still function, that electricity water and gas services remained live, that there was food in the shops for you to eat, that essential services like police, fire and ambulance still functioned, that things you take for granted like the internet, the telephones and sewerage system continued to work, and that society could still function

You've peddled some utter rubbish on these forums, but the idiotic, self centred and naive belief of fools like you who seem to think we can all just lock ourselves away for months on end for YOUR benefit, without there being any consequences is biggest pile of horseshit yet
Trying to explain to Smurf about unsung heroes who do the real work, when the chips are down, might be an uphill task. He probably has ten thousand toilet rolls that came out of thin air.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 13, 2020, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2020, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 13, 2020, 11:34:11 AM

And that is your (and this forums) biggest problem. As such you are a privileged individual, who in a spectacular display of irony spends much of his time whinging about "tourists" in an area whose whole economy relies heavily on tourism to survive.

Locally does not rely on tourism at all, it is 11% of the local economy little of which end up with the people who live here.
It is a very short tourist season. Mainly staffed by seasonal staff from outside of the county, and a large tranche of the tourism based business is not  locally owned.
The particularly vile type of tourist who rocked up this year are not the usual ones at all. (That applies nationally not just to Cornwall.)
It is going to cost local council taxpayers a lot to do a clean up when they have gone.
You and other here rant on as if I am in a minority of one.
It the the majority of the local population complaining, whilst the local tourism "boss" and the MP have their head firmly up their backsides.

tourism is the second largest part of the cornish economy after agriculture.

Both industries heavily rely on the mass movement of people into cornwall  , which you oppose.
The largest part of Cornish Agriculture is via the Duchy of Cornwall, which the profits go into Charlie's pockets, it isn't a direct income like Tourism, which is spread across the board, even into local agriculture, with buying local produce, the Cornish economy would completely collapse without it. Smurf is a blithering idiot.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2020, 11:28:50 AM

No it isn't it is an opinion backed up by science, you really are a frankly very ill informed person. That is why you can't debate, and why you have just passed my not having a battle of wits with an unarmed person limit and you are going back on ignore where I should have left you.

Still no link?

ok lets go back to what you insinuated earlier.

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2020, 11:09:25 AM
.  People could have been back at work safely months ago had they ALL stuck to the regulations, unfortunately a significant number have not, because there is next to no enforcement.

and heres what the WHO says.....

QuoteCoronavirus may never go away, World Health Organization warns

"It is important to put this on the table: this virus may become just another endemic virus in our communities, and this virus may never go away," Dr Ryan told the virtual press conference from Geneva.

"HIV has not gone away - but we have come to terms with the virus."

Dr Ryan then said he doesn't believe "anyone can predict when this disease will disappear".

You clearly are a completely ill informed hysterical individual constantly looking for a scapegoat.....either its al lthe tores fault , or its the young and tourists fault.

The regulations governments are putting in place are to try and stop the spread of the virus. Not to eliminate the virus , which is what you appear to have hinted at in your earlier post.

This is why i am saying the virus may never ever go away , and that every time we slightly relax regulations , there will be an upsurge in cases.

The who have also said this.....