Extreme poverty ‘will double by Christmas’ in UK because of Covid-19

Started by Dynamis, September 14, 2020, 09:47:37 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

When one is reduced to quoting qickers' hysterically hyperexaggerated views on COVID, and much else, you may have refuted yourself.

Pretty sure more people die of poverty related illnesses each year than COVID, pretty sure quoting facebook memery evidence is a sound strategy. If only the govt planned everything based on facebook talk and memes we'd be alright.. oh wait they already do and no we aren't. Oh well.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 11, 2020, 10:36:00 AM
There are already millions going hungry in Britain. That you are not aware of that is frankly worrying.

Well i agree with quackers smurf.

Quote from: HDQQ on December 10, 2020, 08:59:55 AM
. Western people, whether white or black, face little or no threat from starvation or diseases from associated with third-world poverty

My cousin in manchester said this the other week , one minute those on his timeline were screaming about foodbanks and no money , the next , they were all out buying playstation fives at around £450. a go.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 10, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
Those living in the greatest poverty - those on benefits, will see no reduction in their incomes.
I don't believe millions will go hungry this Christmas, not in the rich UK, anyway.

There are already millions going hungry in Britain. That you are not aware of that is frankly worrying.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on December 10, 2020, 06:08:52 PM
Thanks for being certain of that for me, it's appreciated, I feel deeply reassured now and can safely ignore all the statistics and evidence.

👍

Well if you are going to be poor , scotland and england are probably two of the best countries in the world to be poor in.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on December 10, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
Those living in the greatest poverty - those on benefits, will see no reduction in their incomes.
I don't believe millions will go hungry this Christmas, not in the rich UK, anyway.

Thanks for being certain of that for me, it's appreciated, I feel deeply reassured now and can safely ignore all the statistics and evidence.

👍
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on December 10, 2020, 05:45:42 PM
Are you a Tory MP posting under a pseudonym?

I am yes. And I work for the Corporate Step and the EU, and I'm Irish and Scottish and Welsh and a Wiseguy and a Goodfella.  :P :P :P
+++

Barry

Quote from: Dynamis on December 10, 2020, 04:48:39 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35862763

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/27/dying-cold-europe-fuel-poverty-energy-spending

It's estimated that millions could go hungry this xmas, not just pensioners but kids and even normal adults. That's just not acceptable. Or maybe it is to some and that's the benchmark and is seen as a good thing.. but others do not wish to see people dying.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35862763

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/27/dying-cold-europe-fuel-poverty-energy-spending

QuoteOn average, there are 32,000 more deaths between December and March than the rest of the year. Many have perished because of the refusal of a society with abundant wealth and resources to provide for its most vulnerable citizens. An average of 9,700 deaths each year are believed to be caused by living in a cold house, according to research by National Energy Action (NEA) and the environmental group E3G. According to its figures, that is as many as those whose lives are cut short by breast or prostate cancer. While, sadly, we do not have the ability to cure all forms of cancer, we do have the means to ensure all have a warm home. Indeed, 6,900 of those deaths were linked to the 25% coldest homes in the country.

Advertisement

Let us be frank. If thousands of people were dying needlessly each year in affluent neighbourhoods and suburbs, wouldn't this be treated as a national emergency, and wouldn't action have been taken sooner?

Poverty kills: this isn't hyperbole, but fact. Some 10% of the total deaths, significantly more than 3,000, are directly linked to fuel poverty itself. These are older people – perhaps those who survived war, and who helped build the country – dying of cold because they don't have the money to pay their energy bills.

It's estimated that millions could go hungry this xmas, not just pensioners but kids and even normal adults. That's just not acceptable. Or maybe it is to some and that's the benchmark and is seen as a good thing.. but others do not wish to see people dying.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on December 10, 2020, 05:21:33 AM
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/thousands-solihull-families-supermarket-vouchers-19425392

Good to see councils being proactive..

Every year of my life at this time of year , i have noticed we regualrly get treated to the same headlines.

Extreme poverty will double.

The nhs is in danger of being overwhelmed etc etc etc and then some feelgood dickensian philanthropist story to cheer the plebs up.

same shit different day as barry said on the other thread.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 08:53:33 PM

However, what really fascinates me is the really early history when they had the world's most unique alphabet and were literally the 'painted ones'. That's also the most obscure.

dyno all that shite about the painted ones is exactly that...shite.

Painting your body in dye at one stage was common across the whole of europe , if not the world in mans early history. The whole "picti" thing seems to have stuck and been mythologised since the romans coined it in the third century ad. The practice was pretty much dead before scotland was formed in the 9th century. The whole pictish thing is extremely hard to seperate the fantasy from fact.

As for the alphabet.......you are talking about the pre latin aphabet ogham?

Again that isnt scottish  , there are inscription in ogham all over england wales scotland and ireland , possibly europe too from memory.

Its just the old pre christian pre latin alphabet the celtic tribes across large parts of europe used. It might have originated in spain i think?

Fair enough, then maybe I need better books. ;) What do you recommend?
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 08:55:36 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 08:50:43 PM

However, I think I'm mad enough that drugs would have no effect.  :D

You need to learn a wee bit of scottish dyno , and drink like feck if you want admitted into the bell clan.

Their motto in scottish is "thalla is cac" , away and shite. :D

So you can't be uptight.

Sounds more like Borkie's clan, the translation appears to be "eat shit" which is his fave charming phrase for people on the bus in London.  :D

Given that my family were all criminals on that side of the family, our little joke is that they were the "bell(end) clan" (it's meant nicely..sorta). :D
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 20, 2020, 02:33:45 PM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 20, 2020, 02:11:04 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 11:57:32 AMI agree with what you have written , but the same thing can be said in terms of having differing factions in  all the other parties out there as well.

I have comented on the snp and our factions ( aye we have the woke types too) we remember the different factions in the liberals under clegg , we have repeatedly commented on the tory factions expecially over europe , so i dont think this is unusual.

What im commenting to steve is he wishes to portray the blairite faction as something else outwith his labour party , so he can run away from their inglorious record , while trying to ignore the fact if you vote labour , you are voting momemtum and blairite as one.

He can't keep running away from labours past record in power as though it wasnt his labour party , hence my comment to him

That's true, but with other parties, the tail doesn't wag the dog to the same extent that it does with Labour. For example, here is an article that shows you the corrosive effect of identity politics, where Jess Phillips gets out-woked by an even more extreme example of the kind of shite we have to put up with from Labour - so she comes under fire for the "whiteness" of her "feminism".

https://gal-dem.com/heres-why-weve-got-no-time-for-jess-phillips/

This is "intersectionality" apparently - a theory where everyone's own particular brand of victimhood sits in a league table, all trying to "out victim" the next. I am so fecking sick of this shit - Phillips is an MP whose seat is wasted, along with so many of the rest of Labour's MPs now. To use this woman's own complaint, the rest of us have no time for Jess Phillips or Leah Cowan, so they can both f**k off, along with the rest of the whole skanky "victim group" circus, and give us our fecking party back

I have just had a chat to my daughter about this. She is a lesbian, recently married to her girlfriend and should have a fairly secure position in the looney leftie circles in which she moves.

Sadly that is not the case. First of all she is white and secondly the in thing these days is to be transgender and possibly worst of all, she has a sense of humour.

She enjoys strutting up and down Queen Street in Cardiff and shouting whatever bollocks is in fashion, but the way things are going  I can see her quietly voting Tory at the next election.

My eldest had a boyfriend about 15 - 20 years ago when we had a caravan in west Wales. They drifted apart but last year she got a message on arsebook. Hes had a chop and silicone insert job and now 'she's looking for fashion hints.

'It' was told shes a single mum these days with neither time nor money for fashion...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 08:53:33 PM

However, what really fascinates me is the really early history when they had the world's most unique alphabet and were literally the 'painted ones'. That's also the most obscure.

dyno all that shite about the painted ones is exactly that...shite.

Painting your body in dye at one stage was common across the whole of europe , if not the world in mans early history. The whole "picti" thing seems to have stuck and been mythologised since the romans coined it in the third century ad. The practice was pretty much dead before scotland was formed in the 9th century. The whole pictish thing is extremely hard to seperate the fantasy from fact.

As for the alphabet.......you are talking about the pre latin aphabet ogham?

Again that isnt scottish  , there are inscription in ogham all over england wales scotland and ireland , possibly europe too from memory.

Its just the old pre christian pre latin alphabet the celtic tribes across large parts of europe used. It might have originated in spain i think?

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 08:50:43 PM

However, I think I'm mad enough that drugs would have no effect.  :D

You need to learn a wee bit of scottish dyno , and drink like feck if you want admitted into the bell clan.

Their motto in scottish is "thalla is cac" , away and shite. :D

So you cant be uptight.