All Governments incompetent?

Started by T00ts, September 18, 2020, 09:43:30 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

QuoteLegacy PFI contract payments in Scotland top 'staggering' £1bn
SNP blasts previous Labour-led Scottish Executive as Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland statistics for the 2016/17 financial year are revealed

QuotePayments for legacy PFI contracts in Scotland topped £1 billion for the first time in the 2016/17 financial year, the Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (GERS) statistic show.
Annual unitary charge payments related to PFI projects - initial capital spend, interest and ongoing operation and maintenance costs - rose to £1.009 billion in 2016/17 – up from £995 million in the previous year.

https://archive.is/GAqGw

Ten years after labour were booted out in scotland , and 7 years after they were booted out in westmisnter , both the scottish and uk governments were still trying to desperately deal with the legacy of labour disasterous PFI projects , where for example in scotland alone , scottish taxpayers were required to pay more than 6 times the worth of the asset labour had built on PFI , over a typical timescale of 30 years plus.

....and you have the cheek to tell me labour balanced the books before the banking crises and it was all the bankers fault?

LMFAO.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on September 20, 2020, 12:58:54 PM

As this thread is about government incompetence, I commented, all governments are incompetent to a degree..

yep , and im making sure labours terrible record in government is brought to light .and ?
To say thirteen long years of incompetence is only partially true. There was no hiding behind a banker crisis, as Labour borrowing had never exceeded that of the previous Tory government, until the banking crisis. A crisis that had a similar effect on numerous major economies . It was only in 09, 10, that the borrowing went sky high and the figures for supporting the banks support that

Nope this is wrong.

Blair and brown loved PFI because it allowed them to build schools hospital and other infrastructure , but keep the figures off the  labour government books and kick them into the long grass for future generations and governments to pay for.

If you take into account labours PFI debt , borrowing was sky high long before the banking crises so what are you talking about?

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 11:30:10 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on September 20, 2020, 11:26:54 AM

Yeah but it was fun for a while and you were lapping it up. So why not.

You mean trying to quench, the unquenchable, your ego.

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 01:08:55 PM
Quote from: Good old on September 19, 2020, 12:53:46 PM

My post was merely a generalisation Toots, but it is true I am no admirer of Boris, or many of those around him.
I do have some sympathy for him getting caught up in this terrible Covid, situation. It is true to say any administration would be in a very difficult place right now ,regarding that issue.
Regardless of that , the policies , that were followed by Tory governments , in the previous ten years , which were not strictly needed in the severity used over such a long period., have now bitten Boris, on the back side.
The lack of facilities , contributed to by constant cuts over the whole period , across the board.  Are now playing no small part in this governments inability to respond fully to many of the problems thrown up by Covid.

...and why did we have tory austerity i the first place?

After thirteen long years of labour incompetence and profligacy when your heros were in power , left the incoming tory/liberal administration with a mess to clear up.

What was it , you left a note saying there is no  money left?

Then went on to try and hide youtr profligacy when in power behind the "banking crises"?

You left generations of scottish children in  debt up to their eyeballs with eyewatering PFI debt and needlessly expensive build costs for new schools and hospitals , which the snp government have constantly highlighted for the last decade.

The tories and snp have had to spend years tidying up the economic mess profligate labour left behind.

...and now you try and tell us its austerity that is to blame for the covid crises?

You labour cants are beyond belief in the lies and spin.

Every issue affecting the uk today you bleat about can be laid right at your door when you were in power.

As this thread is about government incompetence, I commented, all governments are incompetent to a degree..
So do you get that.? It infers that every government will have an Achilles, heel .
To say thirteen long years of incompetence is only partially true. There was no hiding behind a banker crisis, as Labour borrowing had never exceeded that of the previous Tory government, until the banking crisis. A crisis that had a similar effect on numerous major economies . It was only in 09, 10, that the borrowing went sky high and the figures for supporting the banks support that .
Our government took a bigger hit than some because of its massive support for the failing banks, much to the gratitude of other nations.
PFI is an area of Labours borrowing policy that can not be thought to have been totally successful . But at the same time it can not be viewed in the one eyed , manner you choose to view it in. And it certainly is not the only reason for our present ills.
In many ways Labour walked into an Elephant trap, with PFI. John Major, had introduced the concept in 1992. six years before Labour  got there hands on it.
As is now common knowledge it was used to finance a massive renewal and maintenance project of schools and Hospital facilities.
The  question should be asked ,Why? But of course you avoid doing so. The reason why was because in twenty years the Tory governments of that period had done next to nothing on those issues. Little to maintain and virtually nothing to renew.
So before you dismiss the financing issues , why not some credit for actually  tackling the issue head on?
Not all PFI deals were found totally wanting, never the less a better way to do the finance should have been found as to many were faulty and have resulted in costs beyond easily acceptable.
The whole country Including Scotland has benefited from  the use of the facilities gained in that period. And the question has to be asked . If it was so easy and obvious as to how to finance a project as extreme, and needed as this was. Why had the Tories never thought of it , and more importantly never used it?
PFI in Labours hands may be open to criticism , but  then cutting  local authority budgets , and restrictions on council tax does nothing to help the situation. With those that set the cuts happy to have and use the same facilities they are content to use as a political football.
Oh! Yes PFI . George Osbourne , called it PF2 and carried on using it as if nothing had happened, until Phillip Hammond, said enough  is enough , in let's see. 2018. Now they didn't do to much with it , but then they never have in a total of thirty years.
If you are going pull out single issues, why not , remember let's say , the 1990 recession and it's effects. There were others over twenty odd years but one will do. 15% interest rates , 3million unemployed, 1million people displaced by repossession . How much do you think that ever cost in real terms?  So in terms of looking for competence in a government you will find little there.
Austerity as practised over ten years was to severe , it never needed to be, and if the general maintenance of our main services , was not to be impaired to a point whereby they struggled to function )adequately , as they are clearly not seen to do now.  To deep and to long. And there was money way before ,Boris, owned up to the fact , with his very generous spending pledges at the last GE. So though you like any platform to blast Labour all governments are at one time or another incompetent . And Sheep, May be right , get rid of all of them.
Still never mind you go off with this and fill the next six pages  questioning every word. And reinventing its meaning.
I must say to you Thomas on a personal note. You get so many things wrong. You see Toots, is far to astute, to need your help.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 11:30:10 AM

am still lapping it up sheep.Its like shooting fish in a barrell with these labour types.

I mean the lies they tell  , and the u turns they perform.

The thirteen inglorious years labour were last in charge is merely a click of a button away . :D
well to be fair, I did tell them they are shit, but I guess you got to let it play out for them, or it ain't democratic, I might fancy living in Bali, but it is full of students and other drop outs who think they have all the answers, so maybe not then slimy Starmer.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

am still lapping it up sheep.Its like shooting fish in a barrell with these labour types.

I mean the lies they tell  , and the u turns they perform.

The thirteen inglorious years labour were last in charge is merely a click of a button away . :D

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 11:01:41 AM
Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2020, 10:39:21 AM

Waddya mean sometimes ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know cromwell , but i just can't stand the absolute lies of these labour supporters , and non stop double speak and misrepresentation.

I think despite our political differences , it is something you and i have greatly in common , the massive hatred for that labour party.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on September 20, 2020, 09:59:40 AMWhats the problem?

Back in march we were being told by the media we were all going to die and this was the modern bubonic plague( which killed up to 60% of the population across europe).

The scot gov relaeased its covid figures to end august and 77% of covid deaths ( and i use the term loosely) were over 75 with underlying health issues , and half of those passed away in care homes.

The same or similar situation has been seen across much of europe.

So i stand by my original statement.

Careful, Rob Roy. You'll be getting accused of being some Genghis Khan type genocidal maniac by Hysterical Duck Quack Quack for voicing opinions like that  :D

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2020, 10:39:21 AM

I know cromwell , but i just cant stand the absolute lies of these labour supporters , and non stop double speak and misrepresentation.

I think despite our political differences , it is something you and i have greatly in common , the massive hatred for that labour party.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 01:49:19 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 19, 2020, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 01:24:20 PMToots the guy is talking absolute nonsense.

Thomas - the difference between you and I is that I try not to upset people.

The difference between you and I Thomas is that I would not have posted that to Good Old.  :)

i know toots and i respect that , but sometimes i am a great believer in telling people it straight.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 20, 2020, 10:12:58 AM
"Pubic health was never in danger to the extent of the original wild claims."

Just sounded very carry on movieish. :D

Don't mind me, as you were..

got you.....typo.

Bit slow this morning. :(

Borg Refinery

"Pubic health was never in danger to the extent of the original wild claims."

Just sounded very carry on movieish. :D

Don't mind me, as you were..
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on September 19, 2020, 09:22:42 PM
Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 03:04:21 PMPubic health was never in danger to the extent of the original wild claims.

???

Whats the problem?

Back in march we were being told by the media we were all going to die and this was the modern bubonic plague( which killed up to 60% of the population across europe).

The scot gov relaeased its covid figures to end august and 77% of covid deaths ( and i use the term loosely) were over 75 with underlying health issues , and half of those passed away in care homes.

The same or similar situation has been seen across much of europe.

So i stand by my original statement.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2020, 03:04:21 PMPubic health was never in danger to the extent of the original wild claims.

???
+++

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on September 19, 2020, 03:03:12 PM
Quote from: HDQQ on September 19, 2020, 02:58:23 PMI think the scottish and uk public have dodged a bullet over the last ten years keeping these clowns out of power and away from  our money.

And hit by the Tory Brexit bullet instead.

Democracy in action quackers.

....but as we know , you liberal democrats dont like democracy , which is why you got a thumping last december.