Main Menu

Less active

Started by srb7677, October 13, 2020, 10:09:52 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on October 14, 2020, 11:46:57 AM

You are, of course welcome to come and go, as you please.
I am not going anywhere. Am just going to be around less often, that's all.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell on October 14, 2020, 11:22:42 AMNot being rude Steve but you need to grow a thicker skin,putting people on ignore is pointless if you want to ignore people just don't respond to what you perceive to be goading though they may just be more robust in their approach.

I agree. Even posters who appear to enjoy deliberately provoking other posters with one liners then running away can sometimes make a valid point that's worth considering. Mind you a sense of the absurd, humour and irony helps — even if there's a few on here who appear to consider themselves ever so superior to everyone else...

;)

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 14, 2020, 12:40:24 PM
Fairplay for getting involved at your local level, it's certainly a commitment in terms of time, energy, and other personal sacrifices that most would rather do without.

I disagree with this, at there core forums (whether it's one about politics, or gardening) are communities. You may be nonchalant about a particular member, or even all other members, but I don't think that generalises to others, or at the very least doesn't generalise to me.
There are individuals who I hold in regard but let's face it if I or anyone else disappeared tomorrow would you be that bothered,Barry mentioned Major Sinic he was a long termer from the old old forum......he suddenly disappeared and someone eventually said haven't seen the Major for a bit and that was it.

So community no individuals yes.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 14, 2020, 12:08:36 PM
Best option really because we are who someone once said  "just pixels in space bit annoyed with myself can't remember which poster had that as a signature.
Reality is no one really cares that much who is or isn't here other than a healthy number of posters is a good thing.

Quite.

This is just cyber space. Anyone who gets worked up over a few high words really needs to get a grip.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Fairplay for getting involved at your local level, it's certainly a commitment in terms of time, energy, and other personal sacrifices that most would rather do without.

Quote from: cromwell on October 14, 2020, 12:08:36 PMReality is no one really cares that much who is or isn't here

I disagree with this, at there core forums (whether it's one about politics, or gardening) are communities. You may be nonchalant about a particular member, or even all other members, but I don't think that generalises to others, or at the very least doesn't generalise to me.
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on October 14, 2020, 11:46:57 AM
Or what you really think:Or you could just do a Major Sinic and leave without announcement, but that isn't your way, is it Steve.
Best option really because we are who someone once said  "just pixels in space bit annoyed with myself can't remember which poster had that as a signature.
Reality is no one really cares that much who is or isn't here other than a healthy number of posters is a good thing.

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on October 13, 2020, 10:09:52 AM
Following upon my decision to remain in the Labour Party and to fight for what I believe in from within - which I feel to be a less futile strategy than leaving and going it alone - I have become very active again in local party politics. Having meetings, keeping up to speed with developments, sometimes voting. Small steps but locally we are making progress on the ground and have the Blairites on the back foot in terms of numbers. An advantage we'd immediately lose if we left in significant numbers. And whilst we fight in our own wards and constituencies, others on the left are doing the same the length and breadth of this country. For as long as we remain the Blairites will never gain total control. Only our departure would hand that to them.

Because - following upon my decision - I have become much more active in real world politics, I have less time to spare for more frivolous activities like posting here. Am not leaving this forum but am likely to be posting a lot less often. I definitely have little time or patience for abuse and insults, so anyone blocked will remain so and I will think nothing of blocking others. I will come here in recreational moments to chew the fat in constructive and interesting ways, not get down and dirty in slanging matches, insults and abuse flying, with me giving it back. I just don't need to go there.

The long and the short of it is I am going to be around a lot less often now that I am active again in local politics.
Or what you really think:
Quote from: srb7677 on October 01, 2020, 09:13:14 PM
What possible purpose does a forum such as this serve beyond entertaining oneself? What else do you think anyone's participation achieves? I can tell you that it all adds up to the sum total of f**k all and if you think otherwise you are deluding yourself.
Or you could just do a Major Sinic and leave without announcement, but that isn't your way, is it Steve.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on October 13, 2020, 10:09:52 AM
Following upon my decision to remain in the Labour Party and to fight for what I believe in from within - which I feel to be a less futile strategy than leaving and going it alone - I have become very active again in local party politics. Having meetings, keeping up to speed with developments, sometimes voting. Small steps but locally we are making progress on the ground and have the Blairites on the back foot in terms of numbers. An advantage we'd immediately lose if we left in significant numbers. And whilst we fight in our own wards and constituencies, others on the left are doing the same the length and breadth of this country. For as long as we remain the Blairites will never gain total control. Only our departure would hand that to them.

Because - following upon my decision - I have become much more active in real world politics, I have less time to spare for more frivolous activities like posting here. Am not leaving this forum but am likely to be posting a lot less often. I definitely have little time or patience for abuse and insults, so anyone blocked will remain so and I will think nothing of blocking others. I will come here in recreational moments to chew the fat in constructive and interesting ways, not get down and dirty in slanging matches, insults and abuse flying, with me giving it back. I just don't need to go there.

The long and the short of it is I am going to be around a lot less often now that I am active again in local politics.
Not being rude Steve but you need to grow a thicker skin,putting people on ignore is pointless if you want to ignore people just don't respond to what you perceive to be goading though they may just be more robust in their approach.

When you are in a party situation you find many like minds which maybe reassuring that you're right doesn't really expose you to wider thought........anyway your call.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on October 13, 2020, 03:25:45 PM
Clearly, this post is a borderline piss take.

More like delusional.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on October 13, 2020, 03:07:02 PM
Wishful thinking Pappy. Remember, he is still a relatively young man who kept himself fit by running, cycling, bonking women half his age and all the rest.

Nope, I reckon that Boris will be in good order come the New Year. By then the Chinese flu will have burned itself out because if nothing else all the cotton tops will have died off. And by then he will have the energy to rally Middle Britain behind him on his crusade against the Anti British Remainers of Islington

God bless Boris!
Clearly, this post is a borderline piss take. As a parody of some imagined reality it is rather amusing though.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 13, 2020, 03:07:02 PM
Wishful thinking Pappy.

Not judging by recent close ups of him.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 02:48:00 PM
He looks ill and getting worse. the man is a shambles.

Wishful thinking Pappy. Remember, he is still a relatively young man who kept himself fit by running, cycling, bonking women half his age and all the rest.

Nope, I reckon that Boris will be in good order come the New Year. By then the Chinese flu will have burned itself out because if nothing else all the cotton tops will have died off. And by then he will have the energy to rally Middle Britain behind him on his crusade against the Anti British Remainers of Islington

God bless Boris!
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 02:48:00 PM
The saying "be careful what you wish for" very much springs to mind in his case.

He yearned to be Prime Minister for it's own sake. Yet no sooner than he gets there he is landed with covid and utterly found wanting and out of his depth, exposed as the incompetent and lazy buffoon he always was.

No wonder he looks ill. Floundering and being hopelessly out of your depth is very stressful, especially if you have an ego the size of an elephant.

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on October 13, 2020, 02:06:12 PM
But putting posters on ignore rather than just ignoring them seems to demonstrate a fault in one's own make up.
No mystery. It is simply easier not to be goaded and wound up by insults and lies if you cannot see them. That's the way I prefer it. Which is a pity because I am likely to be missing good points and valid arguments too. But tough shit on that one. It is possible to debate and disagree without resorting to abuse. Anyone who cannot or will not do that I don't want to be engaging with.

Bottom line is I only come here for recreation. I find debate and even disagreement recreational. I do not find lies and abuse recreational. I simply prefer not to see it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 13, 2020, 02:24:01 PM
the restoration of Boris to full health