« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 12, 2020, 10:57:55 AM
You are all so blinkered,

Frankly it is you who are blinkered.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
So which 'freedom' have you been waiting for? . . . . .
Losing your EU citizenship and the right to live, work and travel anywhere in the EU? 
Losing your right to operate a business anywhere in the EU? 
Losing being covered by EU healthcare protection when travelling in the EU?
Your taxes being used to fund stand-alone British projects instead of saving money by pooling resources in joint EU ones?
Losing any say in the formulation of EU regulations which, in the real world, we'll still need to comply with in many instances?
Scotland voting to leave the UK in a second indyref?

These might seem like small things and they might not affect you, but I've not seen any evidence of any real benefits of leaving the EU.

I know there are anti-EU movements in other EU countries but unless Britain has a world-beating economic miracle after Brexit, what happens here is likely to serve as a reminder to other nations that they're better off staying in the EU.

You are all so blinkered, so wrapped up in your European fantasy that you can't see what so many of us see as the truth.

The EU is the sick man of Europe with a crippling cash crisis, bankrupt bureaucracy and infighting - despite leaders insisting it's Britain that will be left behind after Brexit, writes MARK ALMOND;

He is not alone in this thinking and the evidence is clear for us all if we but look properly. The EU is so bound up in its ideology that it has become an overweight tanker unable to turn. Their decision making protocol is cumbersome and as time passes they have been left behind. They are not fit for the 21st century and to remain attached to their chains is just suicide for us. They are tinkering around the edges of situations looking busy while achieving very little and while advertising their great unity the cracks are fast appearing. This much vaunted unity is maintained increasingly with financial sanctions. Members have suffered through free movement in that so many of their young have moved to other countries for work leaving them with the elderly and infirm. There are so many things wrong with the EU ideology and it is crippling. They dream of an empire but the end is already in sight.

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2020, 10:10:48 AM
Neither have I.

I suppose, at a stretch, I'd have to admit that not having to see Nigel Farage snogging Jean-Claude Juncker again counts as a benefit of leaving the EU !
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on December 12, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
I've not seen any evidence of any real benefits of leaving the EU.

Neither have I.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on November 19, 2020, 07:38:32 PM
When the endless wait for freedom is over and the UK announced its self back on the world stage, who out of the 27 will be watching and thinking we%u2019re next?

Italy want it but know the country is that messed up they can%u2019t walk. France do but Macron has flipped them the bird. Poland and Hungary keep accepting bigger bungs so as to play nicely so for me The Netherlands is up there.

If Marine Le Pen gets in its curtains for the EU as that will leave Germany well and truly holding the baby.

So which 'freedom' have you been waiting for? . . . . .
Losing your EU citizenship and the right to live, work and travel anywhere in the EU? 
Losing your right to operate a business anywhere in the EU? 
Losing being covered by EU healthcare protection when travelling in the EU?
Your taxes being used to fund stand-alone British projects instead of saving money by pooling resources in joint EU ones?
Losing any say in the formulation of EU regulations which, in the real world, we'll still need to comply with in many instances?
Scotland voting to leave the UK in a second indyref?

These might seem like small things and they might not affect you, but I've not seen any evidence of any real benefits of leaving the EU.

I know there are anti-EU movements in other EU countries but unless Britain has a world-beating economic miracle after Brexit, what happens here is likely to serve as a reminder to other nations that they're better off staying in the EU.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 25, 2020, 12:24:18 AMAs for the 83% claim, I asked you to show where that came from, the article wasn't addressing that and came up with some dodgy calculations.

So fullfact.com is a dodgy website now it doesn't agree with you?

As for WTO, ignore it Gerry. You're using it as a deflection.

What percentage of global trade is conducted outside of the EU? Not what is WTO, not what is FTA. WHAT IS OUTSIDE OF THE EU?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 24, 2020, 10:38:48 PMQuote 1.  Nick, WTO is how countries trade outside the EU

Quote 2.  Also I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms

In the words of Lister. "Get out of that one Smeghead"
First you chop the first quote which should be
Nick, WTO is how countries trade outside the EU unless they have FTA's.
I then go on to say how no country wants to trade under WTO terms but want a FTA to conduct trade.

You then chop the second quote
Also I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms unless your counting FTA's recognised by the WTO which are actually outside the WTO trading terms
This again confirms what's being said above, countries preference is to trade under FTA's and the fall back position is WTO. So where's the U-Turn. I don't see a U-Turn. I'm saying the same thing, twice.

The link you posted finished with  No country trades exclusively on WTO terms.. It also says The EU trades with 105 of the 135 other members of the WTO through a trade deal or "preferential trade agreement", rather than on WTO terms

As for the 83% claim, I asked you to show where that came from, the article wasn't addressing that and came up with some dodgy calculations. Like it didn't count any trade within the EU as part of global trade. Thats leaving out a sizeable chunk of the 18.5T. It also discounted some FTA's where the tariff on certain goods wasn't reduced. News flash, FTA's reduce tariffs but these are NOT the largest barrier and cost to trade, it is the other non tariff barriers that slow/stop and cost a fortune. Such as the 50,000 additional customs officers the UK is looking to employ--dead money.

So again can you show, because you haven't, how much of all global trade is done on just WTO terms. An inaccurate and dodgy report isn't really any proof for your claim.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 10:11:39 PM
Yes you do

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 07:10:16 PM
Nick, WTO is how countries trade outside the EU, unless they have FTA's. Nobody wants to trade on WTO, it's why only 1 country in the world does this solely. In January the majority of UK trade will be done under the WTO. So where's the U-Turn.

Quote from: GerryT on November 22, 2020, 02:31:19 PMAlso I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms unless your counting FTA's recognised by the WTO which are actually outside the WTO trading terms and very misleading if that's what your doing.

Quote 1.  Nick, WTO is how countries trade outside the EU

Quote 2.  Also I'd love to see how you thing 84% of global trade is done under WTO terms

In the words of Lister. "Get out of that one Smeghead"

Your beloved full facts, quoting 83%, but before the U.K. left.

https://fullfact.org/online/how-much-trade-wto-terms/

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 24, 2020, 09:04:22 PM
Gerry, you don't have to explain it to me, you're the one with two conflicting posts. Now do I have to go them and post them side to side for all to see or are you going to explain the opposing views?

Yes you do

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 08:15:40 PMI doubt that, just look at your silly u-turn comment which I now have to explain like your 12yrs old so you get it.

Gerry, you don't have to explain it to me, you're the one with two conflicting posts. Now do I have to go them and post them side to side for all to see or are you going to explain the opposing views?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 08:50:37 PM
tongue in cheek, I wasn't given him a grammar lesson, which I think that's how it was taken.
Now read what it says below my post.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on November 24, 2020, 08:38:58 PM
Totally coherent and makes perfect sense,I must say I find it a bit rich Gerry you pulling others.
tongue in cheek, I wasn't given him a grammar lesson, which I think that's how it was taken.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 08:18:05 PM
That makes no sense and it's not even a coherent sentence. You should take a note to self, "must try harder"
Totally coherent and makes perfect sense,I must say I find it a bit rich Gerry you pulling others.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on November 24, 2020, 08:18:05 PM
That makes no sense and it's not even a coherent sentence. You should take a note to self, "must try harder"
Sure Gerry, sure. Caught red handed old son.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on November 24, 2020, 07:58:33 PMYet you are here on behalf of the EU and spout anything they say, amusing Gerry. With a few feck you English thrown in for good measure, gotta keep the Republicans believing.