Main Menu

Benefits.

Started by Nick, December 04, 2020, 02:07:18 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 04, 2020, 08:16:46 PM

Whatever the conditions are they're suffering from obviously need looking into if they span generations...?

I agree. The problem with that it is likely a close inspection would put most of them on more benefits than they are on now.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: patman post on December 04, 2020, 08:16:46 PM
I've not inferred anything. I've just taken on board the info in your link. But I'm amazed that you imply it's OK if there's 26,000 households of two or three generations of non-working people aged between 16 and 64.
Whatever the conditions are they're suffering from obviously need looking into if they span generations...?

It's called swinging the lead and sterilisation is the cure.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 04:54:53 PM
It is a tiny number, the Tory lies and propaganda inferred it was a million plus, also why they have never worked is not detailed.
I've not inferred anything. I've just taken on board the info in your link. But I'm amazed that you imply it's OK if there's 26,000 households of two or three generations of non-working people aged between 16 and 64.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 04:08:25 PMI try to give you a lot of licence but there are times when your rudeness surmounts belief.
Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 04:08:25 PM
That opinion is frankly one expressed by people who are ignorant of the real life situation.
I don't think so, Toots puts over opinion very well and backs it up with as a whole the reasons for her thoughts.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 04, 2020, 04:14:41 PM

Twenty-six thousand households plus, with two or three generations who had 'never worked' is still a significant number...

It is a tiny number, the Tory lies and propaganda inferred it was a million plus, also why they have never worked is not detailed.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 04, 2020, 02:07:18 PM
Should benefits be linked to N.I. payments? If you've never paid in you get nowt.
Why should an individual go through life from the minute they are born to the minute they are put in the ground, never having contributed a single penny?
I'm not talking about those who are incapable of working through no fault of their own, but the lazy oinks that play the system.

In general I would say yes  but Im not sure what we would do with the 'lazy oiks'  if they had no income at all .  Its ok saying it would force them into work (I know you haven't said that ) but what if there is no work . Would that force them into crime ?
We are pretty lucky here in the SE with continual employment but you go to some towns in the North and its very much an in and out of work existence at the best of times but yes someone who has never paid a penny needs a kick up the backside and if thats no benefits Id go with that .

Supporting your kids when they leave education is something I think we naturally do and even when they are skint we tend to help out where we can but it wears a bit thin when they move back in when they are 30 and expect to pick up where they left off when they were 18 .   Boomerangs I think they have been labelled.  I dont think they get much benefits while they look for work if they say they are back with the old folks , well thats what he told me anyway , I must be going soft .   

Nick

That opinion is frankly one expressed by people who are ignorant of the real life situation.

Just like you, who refuses to acknowledge that the vast majority on the dole could work.

Think you've been drinking too much Silkolene.

T00ts

I try to give you a lot of licence but there are times when your rudeness surmounts belief.  You have the audacity to accuse me by association of 'ignorance of the real life situation' - you should be ashamed of yourself. Your real life situations are a culmination of years of political intervention by governments who only thrive on people's dependence. The more people who are State dependent, the weaker society becomes. The more the State can persuade of their entitlement the more the State can berate the rest of us into pity for the 'poor'.

The more people are persuaded that there is an increase in the needy the more it belittles those who are really genuinely in need of help from those of us capable. I am not advocating that there are none in need of society's best help but I do hope and expect that those who can help carry the load, do so.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on December 04, 2020, 04:14:41 PM
From the link given in Reply#8:

The Centre for Market and Public Organisation (CMPO) [......] found that, while workless households were certainly a problem, worklessness across two generations accounted for only a small fraction of households, and those with two-generations who had 'never worked' accounted for around 0.1 per cent of all households, around 26,000.

Twenty-six thousand households plus, with two or three generations who had 'never worked' is still a significant number...

Some people refuse to believe there is any.

patman post

From the link given in Reply#8:

The Centre for Market and Public Organisation (CMPO) [......] found that, while workless households were certainly a problem, worklessness across two generations accounted for only a small fraction of households, and those with two-generations who had 'never worked' accounted for around 0.1 per cent of all households, around 26,000.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 04:04:25 PM
. To enable people to ride on the backs of others when they are capable of walking themselves does no-one any service in this life.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 03:48:19 PM
You are years out of touch, suggested area of study the claimant commitment.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment#:~:text=The%20Claimant%20Commitment%20is%20your,your%20latest%20Claimant%20Commitment%20online.

You should know by now that I don't follow the crowd papa. It is a basic principle of life that we should all, to the best of our ability, provide for ourselves. Regardless of Left/Right ideology, it should be a matter of self esteem. By being self reliant we each one of us put ourselves into a position to help others. To enable people to ride on the backs of others when they are capable of walking themselves does no-one any service in this life.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 04, 2020, 03:41:07 PM
How are they linked to NI contributions when they have never worked?

Those who have never worked are usually severely disabled in one way or another.
Other than that they are a figment of Tory imagination.

https://fullfact.org/economy/freedom-information-shows-no-evidence-thousands-never-worked-families/

Freedom of Information shows no evidence for thousands of 'never-worked' families

Some researchers tried to find the people of Tory myth, and failed they likened it to "Hunting the Yeti and shooting zombies"

In search of 'intergenerational cultures of worklessness': Hunting the Yeti and shooting zombies
Critical Social Policy, 34(2), 199-220 - May 2014
https://doi.org/10.1177/0261018313501825
Authors
Robert Macdonald - Teesside University
Corresponding Author
Tracy Shildrick - University of Leeds
Andy Furlong - University of Glasgow

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 04, 2020, 03:13:46 PM
How can you say that? Is it wrong in your view that those who are able to work should stay home and expect State Benefits while they do nothing or worse,

You are years out of touch, suggested area of study the claimant commitment.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-your-claimant-commitment#:~:text=The%20Claimant%20Commitment%20is%20your,your%20latest%20Claimant%20Commitment%20online.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2020, 02:46:15 PM
They already are.

How are they linked to NI contributions when they have never worked?