Main Menu

One Jab not two

Started by T00ts, January 01, 2021, 10:17:16 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on January 03, 2021, 02:55:35 PM
If a single dose of vaccine is effective for a certain period of time (for argument's sake, let's say 6 months), then if enough people can be vaccinated as early as possible, mass vaccination could reduce the number of cases drastically. If the vaccine 'wears off' after 6 months then cases could be expected to rise again.
i suspect it is actually as little as 3 months ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg on January 03, 2021, 04:27:05 PM
This is certainly a change of direction. Quack Quack is usually the first to call for seconds

only when the first isnt to his liking deppity.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on January 03, 2021, 03:17:54 PMi fink you are onto something here quackers.

This is certainly a change of direction. Quack Quack is usually the first to call for seconds

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on January 03, 2021, 02:55:35 PM
If a single dose of vaccine is effective for a certain period of time (for argument's sake, let's say 6 months), then if enough people can be vaccinated as early as possible, mass vaccination could reduce the number of cases drastically. If the vaccine 'wears off' after 6 months then cases could be expected to rise again.

i fink you are onto something here quackers.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 03, 2021, 01:05:05 PM
Oh yes I can heartily recommend this.

When my employer demanded I get professional stress and grief counselling or they wouldn't let me back to work (admitting the last thought in my mind as I choked to death was "I'll never have to deal with that bitch in Gatwick again" probably wasn't the smartest confession to make to the suicide helpline) I dutifully did as I was told

A few weeks later I had a phone call from my former diving instructor. She was very, very unhappy with me. She was a stress counsellor - a sideline she went into years before - and the woman my employer demanded I spoke with was so depressed after my consultations she booked a stress counselling session with her......

I consider that a result ....

My diving instructor, who was part of the support group in place for me should I have lost someone I set out to rescue as a divemaster, was annoyed with me mainly because I was supposed to understand how this counselling and networking stuff worked. Unloading my shit so hard it gave the poor counsellor depression was a Jolly Bad Show ....

:)

Having spent the last three decades putting my best foot forward and then falling arse over tea kettle, I have been to busy to get really depressed. I have put my fist through the door once in a while, but those old oak one are sods for falling out of alignment and while the modern hardboard stuff does not campare, they are easy to hang and keep the wind out, so it is all to the good. :)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on January 03, 2021, 12:20:32 PM
Sounds like me when I had transverse myelitis thirty years ago. The quacks said I had pretty near equal chances of a perfect recovery, ending up so so with various bits not working, being confined to a wheelchair or death. They then offered counseling. I told them to f**k off, which made me feel better almost immediately  :)

Oh yes I can heartily recommend this.

When my employer demanded I get professional stress and grief counselling or they wouldn't let me back to work (admitting the last thought in my mind as I choked to death was "I'll never have to deal with that bitch in Gatwick again" probably wasn't the smartest confession to make to the suicide helpline) I dutifully did as I was told

A few weeks later I had a phone call from my former diving instructor. She was very, very unhappy with me. She was a stress counsellor - a sideline she went into years before - and the woman my employer demanded I spoke with was so depressed after my consultations she booked a stress counselling session with her......

I consider that a result ....

My diving instructor, who was part of the support group in place for me should I have lost someone I set out to rescue as a divemaster, was annoyed with me mainly because I was supposed to understand how this counselling and networking stuff worked. Unloading my shit so hard it gave the poor counsellor depression was a Jolly Bad Show ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 03, 2021, 12:55:24 PM
There is no clinival reason for the extra delay that I can see a claim f.

Neither can I.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Ok.

My best shot after reading things up.

The drug companies planned the two dose regimen with the short break between. The longer break is a political / logistical move to vaccinate more people with the meagre supplies available to give many more SOME degree of protection.

The vaccine was not tested with this longer delay.

Studies show Globulin levels drop after as little as three months. A delay of much more than that may mean there is little immunity left to "boost".

I don't have any answers because nobody did any tests. There is no clinival reason for the extra delay that I can see a claim f.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 03, 2021, 12:08:44 PM
I am very glad it is not my decision. However the Oxford vaccine is cheap, 70% effective after the 1st dose.
The big picture choice is it better to give many millions of people one jab in the interim or a few million two jabs.
I do know someone aged 30. who is due for major elective and very dangerous orthopaedic surgery with several possible  outcomes, success, life time wheelchair user, double amputation or death. They will have had two vaccinations pre surgery.

Sounds like me when I had transverse myelitis thirty years ago. The quacks said I had pretty near equal chances of a perfect recovery, ending up so so with various bits not working, being confined to a wheelchair or death. They then offered counseling. I told them to F@@@ off, which made me feel better almost immediately  :)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

The way things are going, by the time the government decides how the jab is to be administered the epidemic will be over.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 01, 2021, 10:17:16 AM
They have reduced the dosage to one with the follow up in 12 weeks not 3.

I am very glad it is not my decision. However the Oxford vaccine is cheap, 70% effective after the 1st dose.
The big picture choice is it better to give many millions of people one jab in the interim or a few million two jabs.
I do know someone aged 30. who is due for major elective and very dangerous orthopaedic surgery with several possible  outcomes, success, life time wheelchair user, double amputation or death. They will have had two vaccinations pre surgery.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I think the government may have it wrong.
Surely, they should administer the vaccine according to how the trials were done. Everything else is unknown.
The manufacturers oppose it. People could be put off having the vaccine if they can't trust those giving it to do so according to the intentions of the experts.
It's bad enough being guinea pigs for the unknown long term effects.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on January 01, 2021, 10:53:27 AM
I read a while back it was deemed around 60% efficient with one dose and 92% with two. 60% less cases seems a good start then.

If this at 60/70% is as efficient as the flu,, vaccine which has a similar claim for its effectiveness. Then it's going to help enormously . It is not just a case of not getting the illness, but reducing the symptoms if you do.

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on January 01, 2021, 10:53:27 AM
I read a while back it was deemed around 60% efficient with one dose and 92% with two. 60% less cases seems a good start then.

It would explain the focus on continuation of mask wearing, washing hands and distance etc regardless of vaccine. I think they are slow feeding us info.