We don't have enough Lorry drivers?

Started by Sheepy, June 09, 2021, 10:25:42 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 03, 2021, 05:19:07 PM
Something to chew over: 

Shortage of Haribo sweets to hit the UK due to a lorry driver shortage.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15464278/shortage-haribo-sweets-lorry-driver-shortage/

I am heartbroken none of these for me:-
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Something to chew over: 

Shortage of Haribo sweets to hit the UK due to a lorry driver shortage.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15464278/shortage-haribo-sweets-lorry-driver-shortage/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Never fear Smurphy sheepbrain is on the case, one of the crew just got a call from his career advisor and will be starting his course on the 12th of July through a national haulier with a job offer at the end of a 12-week course. which I told him to do a few weeks ago and it won't cost him a penny. So, he is over the moon. One door closes so we open another.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2021, 11:56:07 AM
Not a lot of local authority waste collection vehicles are articulated — and that's one sector that seems to be critically affected by driver shortage according to reply #15...

Locally you have to wait until someone dies or retires before there is a vacancy "on the dust."

patman post

Not a lot of local authority waste collection vehicles are articulated — and that's one sector that seems to be critically affected by driver shortage according to reply #15...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on June 29, 2021, 11:33:22 AM
Shame PSV drivers can't readily transfer to HGV and the southern councils don't provide living accommodation — there's an oversupply of buses in most of the central London boroughs with E, EC, N, NE, NW, SE, SW, W, WC post codes, and they're still advertising for drivers...

The main shortage is for articulated truck drivers, it would need a training course to convert PSV to LGV.

patman post

Shame PSV drivers can't readily transfer to HGV and the southern councils don't provide living accommodation — there's an oversupply of buses in most of the central London boroughs with E, EC, N, NE, NW, SE, SW, W, WC post codes, and they're still advertising for drivers...

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on June 29, 2021, 11:06:18 AM
Is that so, well a hell of a lot of them were in the queue for Dartford tunnel on Saturday,

It is so, and delays at ports both sides of the channel are adding to the problems of the driver shortage.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on June 29, 2021, 07:54:56 AM
A straw poll of people I know in the logistics business resulted in between 25% and 30% of their LGVs (HGVs) have not moved a wheel for months due to an inability to recruit drivers.  Training schools shut down because of the pandemic one factor but a bigger factor is Brexit and Priti Patel not letting European drivers back into to the UK to work. Apparently the driving schools are now back and in theory can train 3000 drivers at any one time.
That sounds good BUT anyone who has just passed an LGV test will still need a lot of further training before they are employable.
Is that so, well a hell of a lot of them were in the queue for Dartford tunnel on Saturday, anyway another point of Brexit not to be reliant on the EU to survive.As the last 50 years of creeping damage they have done needs undoing. So I suggest they get training.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 29, 2021, 04:41:32 AM

And the regularity by which those with LT number plates could be found lying on their side on the SDR at its junction with the A4810 shows the degree to which that is justified. Bunch of f**king cowboys.

A straw poll of people I know in the logistics business resulted in between 25% and 30% of their LGVs (HGVs) have not moved a wheel for months due to an inability to recruit drivers.  Training schools shut down because of the pandemic one factor but a bigger factor is Brexit and Priti Patel not letting European drivers back into to the UK to work. Apparently the driving schools are now back and in theory can train 3000 drivers at any one time.
That sounds good BUT anyone who has just passed an LGV test will still need a lot of further training before they are employable.

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on June 10, 2021, 04:45:10 PM
For too long, too many HGV drivers have been treated as unskilled labourers.

And the regularity by which those with LT number plates could be found lying on their side on the SDR at its junction with the A4810 shows the degree to which that is justified. Bunch of fucking cowboys.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Some areas in Kent are not having their rubbish collected (recycling, particularly) because of a shortage of about 70,000 HGV drivers.
Local resident reported recycling being put into the normal waste lorry. Others had not put it out because they had heard the recycling lorry was suspended due to lack of staff.
Retiring drivers are not being replaced because driving tests were suspended due to Covid.
Some foreign drivers have returned to their country of origin.
https://www.mrw.co.uk/news/council-waste-services-across-uk-hit-by-driver-shortage-23-06-2021/
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

For too long, too many HGV drivers have been treated as unskilled labourers. But the job is very demanding, with a good proportion of one's day involved in safety-critical activity. Been there, done that, not a lot of fun.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 09, 2021, 03:03:32 PM

I suspect not. I suspect it is what it is, a cut down course that covers the bare minimum in hope you can blag it at the test centre at the end of the week. They are pretty detailed in their description of the minimalist nature of their course.

The price would not cover the cost of the truck.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on June 09, 2021, 01:50:33 PM
That has to be some kind of scam. (Seriously.)

I suspect not. I suspect it is what it is, a cut down course that covers the bare minimum in hope you can blag it at the test centre at the end of the week. They are pretty detailed in their description of the minimalist nature of their course.

The school up the road from my former employer wanted that much for one module of the continuous training they offer the refresher courses on. They wanted the same for the first aid course they did too. To do it properly with the new "little Annie" whose tits crackle with electronics that tell you if you are CPR ing properly, I would need to charge £200 a head for one day too.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>