Marriage age to be raised to 18 if Sajid's bill goes through

Started by Barry, June 12, 2021, 11:06:30 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

In my opinion a marriage is forced if you don't want to marry the person someone has arranged. In @T00ts case it was requested and an agreeable partner was found, fine. Like Barry said, there has been many a marriage ceremony conduct in the presence of a 12 Gauge.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2021, 11:12:57 PM
Morals. A concept you are well aware of.

Morality covers countless topics, saying 'These two issues are moral ones, and therefore connected' is about a loose a connection as it's possible to make. 

Gambling is a moral issue, it is not related to marriage.
Don't believe everything you think.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2021, 10:58:53 PM
Yes, OK, I see your point.
But for over 18's there is an option of marriage, whereas for 16 years olds there would not be. The two ought to be aligned.
I agree. But they are aligned already at 16. And should stay that way.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on June 17, 2021, 10:58:53 PM
But for over 18's there is an option of marriage, whereas for 16 years olds there would not be. The two ought to be aligned.

Why? They are not related.

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar on June 17, 2021, 08:26:22 PMThe government does condone sex before marriage, with or without this change.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on June 12, 2021, 11:06:30 PM
Apparently, it's abusive to children to marry at 16.  :o
I was 19 when I married my 16 years old girlfriend. She's sitting next to me almost half a century later!

If the age of sexual consent stays at 16 does this mean the government will be condoning sex before marriage?

Surely the two ages should be the same. Raise both to 18, or leave things as they are?
I pretty much agree with you which doesn't happen often but is nice from time to time.

I would further like to add that young people tend to have sex when they feel ready for it, whatever the law says. Raising the age of consent will never stop people having sex when they want to, though it does risk criminalising them for it for no good reason. No, the age of consent should stay where it is, as should the age of marriage. I don't even know what is motivating the government ot outlaw marriage for 16 and 17 year olds? Is it perhaps to weaken one of the arguments for lowering the voting age? Or am I being cynical?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nalaar

If asked to guess I would of assumed it was 18, in any case it doesn't seem like much a matter for government to be concerned about.

Quote from: Barry on June 12, 2021, 11:06:30 PMIf the age of sexual consent stays at 16 does this mean the government will be condoning sex before marriage?

The government does condone sex before marriage, with or without this change.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on June 17, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
Well I would far rather people be free to marry whomsoever they wish than have it all done for them by their parents/family and in the case of the female often by coercion.

But Cromwell we are both on the same side. I do not condone forced marriage. Of course if they hate one another on sight or if even one partner does, or family are pushing for whatever reason then of course that should be illegal and I believe it is here. No-one should be marrying their cousin either, and certainly no-one should marry for the sake of anyone's honour, or because they were raped first. There are so many scenarios which should be stamped out in this country and for those born here. No-one should be forced to marry within their religion on pain of death which also happens.

What I am suggesting is that arranged marriages often work well, dependant on the willingness of both parties.

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on June 17, 2021, 10:16:30 AM
Well I would far rather people be free to marry whomsoever they wish than have it all done for them by their parents/family and in the case of the female often by coercion.

Especially when they are prevented from marrying who they really love and forced to marry someone deemed "suitable" by the family!

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on June 17, 2021, 09:17:19 AM
What do you mean by 'jaundiced'. Do you not agree that this is often what happens? How many marry in the heat of lust rather than wondering if they will still want to wake up with the same person when they are wrinklies. Isn't the modern marriage often one of 'if it doesn't work out we can walk away'? Why are so many not even bothering to marry? I do think our generation were a tad more thoughtful and committed to marriage. Divorce laws have been made successively easier for that very reason. So often now it is luck rather than judgement that makes a lasting marriage.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on June 16, 2021, 09:30:02 PM
Very jaundiced view of the Anglo Saxon majority.

What do you mean by 'jaundiced'. Do you not agree that this is often what happens? How many marry in the heat of lust rather than wondering if they will still want to wake up with the same person when they are wrinklies. Isn't the modern marriage often one of 'if it doesn't work out we can walk away'? Why are so many not even bothering to marry? I do think our generation were a tad more thoughtful and committed to marriage. Divorce laws have been made successively easier for that very reason. So often now it is luck rather than judgement that makes a lasting marriage.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on June 16, 2021, 08:58:58 PM
I don't agree. What it wasn't was the standard plan of meet in the pub, at some party or somewhere equally random, jump into bed on the 3rd date or even before, at which point most girls are hoping for marriage. They will tell you anything that they think you want to hear but is that really the best way to decide a life partner? It wasn't a forced marriage but it was arranged.
Very jaundiced view of the Anglo Saxon majority.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on June 16, 2021, 06:34:07 PM
Then that's not an arranged marriage is it?

I don't agree. What it wasn't was the standard plan of meet in the pub, at some party or somewhere equally random, jump into bed on the 3rd date or even before, at which point most girls are hoping for marriage. They will tell you anything that they think you want to hear but is that really the best way to decide a life partner? It wasn't a forced marriage but it was arranged.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 16, 2021, 07:14:39 PM

The biggest being that it is the Family that decides on the suitability of suitors and not the girl herself.

You mean like the British Royal Family?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe