Fear Not.

Started by Nick, July 01, 2021, 02:06:49 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 07, 2021, 05:55:36 PM
What skills do you need to pull a pint, wait on tables or clean up a bed and breakfast?

Tell me Pappy, have you ever had a job?

A lot more skills and training that you seem to think.
I am fed up with your continual very nasty personal comments and lies about me.
I was working from the age of nine, part time farm work, and many odd jobs as well.
I did part time work throughout my school years and when I was studying at college.
I did five year engineering apprenticeship as well as part time work and odd jobs as well.
I worked for wide range of engineering companies.
I was also self employed during most of the 1970s as a long distance lorry driver as well as odd jobs.
In the early 80s I went back into engineering programming,setting and operating NC and CNC machines.
Thatcher destroyed that job.
I then moved to Cornwall due to that and a 17.5% mortgage. For a short time I had two 17.5% mortgages.
I worked for a firearms dealer, (that led to tribunal because I was asked to carry out compliance certification on MOD contracts which I was not qualified to do.)
The government sent a QC to represent me at the tribunal, which I won.
I then did some work which I can't comment on due to having to sign the official secrets act.
After that I did many and various engineering jobs.
So in answer to your vary nasty personal comment yes I have worked 60 to 80 hours a week until I retired a few years early due to working 60/80 hours a week screwing up my health. (I also has small private pension.)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 04:17:15 PM

You also make the mistake that those available for work have the skills needed.

What skills do you need to pull a pint, wait on tables or clean up a bed and breakfast?

Tell me Pappy, have you ever had a job?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 07, 2021, 03:19:24 PM

The fact is that unemployment doubled in Devon and Cornwall during the Pandemic, 55,000. So don't say there is no Labour available to work in the restaurants and pubs.

There is NO labour available, FFS just how  many references do you want?

There is no labour available because of the now crisis level of nowhere for them to live, plus the many thousands of workers from the EU who went back home to Europe and Priti Patel won't ley them back in.
(As I referenced ages ago there are only around 4000 people available for work, and that won't even start to address the 40000 plus needed.
You also make the mistake that those available for work have the skills needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57403083

Hospitality workers priced out of UK tourism hotspots
By Julia Paul
Radio 4, You and Yours

Published10 June

Hotel worker Jon Phillips has given up trying to rent a home near his job in Cornwall and is now living on his boat.

"My landlord said: 'Look Jon, you're paying me £800 a month for this one bedroom apartment, and I've just found out that I can be charging people on holiday £1,200 a week.'"

He is one of many hospitality workers in British tourist hotspots who are finding accommodation scarce.

This is as landlords want to cash in on the UK holiday boom.

Hospitality 'struggling to fill thousands of jobs'
Covid and jobs: Why are hospitality workers leaving the industry?
Jon is the front of house manager for Red Hotels, which includes the Scarlet Hotel and the Bedruthan Hotel in Mawgan Porth, along the coast from Newquay.

He moved to Cornwall to take up his job in October 2020, and, after staying in staff accommodation, in January began renting a one-bedroom flat in Newquay for £800 a month.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 12:03:28 PM
Your link does not cover my circumstances or the circumstances of where I live. (You are making wrong assumptions about me.)

It could be that we are making the right ones Pappy.

The charabancs full of tourists probably pull at and see the signs in the shops, "Service with a Scowl" and everyone thinks, sod it, lets try the Lido in Regent's Park. But then the tour guides say hang about folks. Have you seen the local eccentric? He has been in quarantine since the arrival of the Black Death in 1348, but he is let out once a day to gibber and entertain the tourists. So everyone one goes to your place where you moan non stop about bloody near everything and the tourists laugh and poke you with stick and then go home feeling that they have had a really good day out.

Have you tried smiling and waving so that the tourists think, well, this isn't any fun and slink off leaving you in peace and house prices at gound zero?
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 09:25:12 AM
Bollocks, the problems did not start until a few years ago. Where I live back in 1984 there were no second homes or holiday lets, that situation was maintained until around five years ago.
(I also moved here in 1984 because of a combination of personal problems caused by Margaret Thatcher and I was also advised to move for health reasons by my then GP.)
Also the numbers of tourists did not get more than could be handled until three years ago.
I am not part of or a cause of the current problems.

None of which points remotely towards the OP: Project Fear and Brexit.
Doesn't matter what anyone says you have an angle.

The fact is that unemployment doubled in Devon and Cornwall during the Pandemic, 55,000. So don't say there is no Labour available to work in the restaurants and pubs. If anyone hinted at pushing the unemployed towards taking these jobs you'd be up in arms.

I'd simply reduce the benefits month on month, they'd soon sharpen up their job seeking skills.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 12:03:28 PM
Your link does not cover my circumstances or the circumstances of where I live. (You are making wrong assumptions about me.)
Oh yeah Saint Papa of Smurf on sea
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 07:53:20 AMAlso a 2 bedroom bungalow is of no use to a local young couple at all

Our first house when we got married was a 2 bed bungalow, one was in the dormer admittedly but still.
Stating a bungalow is of no use to a young couple is absolutely ridiculous.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2021, 11:43:41 AM
Well you can keep telling us that till you're blue in the face (Oh bugger I forgot,you are) but you cannot escape the fact as outlined in the link I provided that you are one of a wave of incomers.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 11:31:10 AM
Cannot as  be extrapolated to cover other coastal areas of Cornwall. The housing problem here is only recent, there were no holiday lets and second homes here until recent years. There was no over tourism until recent years.

Well you can keep telling us that till you're blue in the face (Oh bugger I forgot,you are) but you cannot escape the fact as outlined in the link I provided that you are one of a wave of incomers.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 07, 2021, 11:28:51 AM
No, the main exodus was in the mid 60s to early 1970s when the hippies moved to the West Country,

Not to the part of "The West Country" where I live, the only hippies here were born here.  (Something those telling them to piss off back to where they were born don't seem to know.)

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2021, 11:23:19 AM
Where you live....

Cannot as  be extrapolated to cover other coastal areas of Cornwall. The housing problem here is only recent, there were no holiday lets and second homes here until recent years. There was no over tourism until recent years.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 07:53:20 AM

Also back in 1984 when I moved here there was not the mass exodus of white flighters and plague avoiders from upcountry to here.

No, the main exodus was in the mid 60s to early 1970s when the hippies moved to the West Country, clutching copies of John Seymour's The Fat of the Land and dreams of futures as elkhorn carvers. By the early 1980s a few had decide to move to Walthamstow and become property developers, which should have given young Cornish folk a chance to get on the property ladder. Unhappily, Pappy and another wave of immigrants moved in and destroyed the youngsters dreams..... :(
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 11:16:27 AM
That is bollocks they are not people like me at all. The massive rise in house prices, where I live, is a very recent phenomenon. Until a few years ago there were no second home and no holiday lets.
Other villages nearby have had a second home/holiday let problem for some years. (The National Trust being a major problem with holiday lets.)
Where you live.....by the sea in cornwall,an older outsider moving in like it says for a better lifestyle (for you) but not better for cornish residents.

And as usual you plead you're a special case,you're not and you expect us all to believe that the seaside place you live in unlike all the othe seaside places nearby has only had this problem for a few years......utter cobblers and you know it.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 07, 2021, 11:06:02 AM

And there we have it,people like you moving in since the 1950's and forcing up house prices.

That is bollocks they are not people like me at all. The massive rise in house prices, where I live, is a very recent phenomenon. Until a few years ago there were no second home and no holiday lets.
Other villages nearby have had a second home/holiday let problem for some years. (The National Trust being a major problem with holiday lets.)

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 07, 2021, 09:25:12 AM
Bollocks, the problems did not start until a few years ago. Where I live back in 1984 there were no second homes or holiday lets, that situation was maintained until around five years ago.
(I also moved here in 1984 because of a combination of personal problems caused by Margaret Thatcher and I was also advised to move for health reasons by my then GP.)
Also the numbers of tourists did not get more than could be handled until three years ago.
I am not part of or a cause of the current problems.
Bollocks......where you live is cornwall and by the sea
QuoteWhile second homes have traditionally been viewed as holiday bolt-holes since the trend first emerged in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there has been a more recent move to buy houses in rural and coastal areas as an investment, mirroring developments in the London property market.
that quote from this link https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/03/st-ives-second-home-referendum-financial-cleansing

And there we have it,people like you moving in since the 1950's and forcing up house prices. https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/cornwall/statistics.htm