Have you been affected by the issues in this programme?

Started by papasmurf, September 02, 2021, 08:43:18 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 08:43:18 AM

That message or something like it plus a helpline number is appearing at the end of more and more TV programs.
It is starting to get very irritating.

If only they'd offered such helplines in the days of Andy Pandy and the Woodentops.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

I have to say that I admire the way the media got stuck in.

Back in the glory days of Teletext, the TV had a section asking if you had a crap deal over anything and where you were given a telephone number to ring. My favourite was Have you ever had a bad tutor? This was at a time when schools in London were so bloody awful that every time I turned up to cram a kid I was always afraid that Mrs Patel, Begum or Cohen would lock me in the cellar until Shuba, Fatima or Rachel got a first at Oxbridge. That ad ran for years. I never saw a program about bad tutors but I had to admire the media. It never gave up. 
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 08:43:18 AM

That message or something like it plus a helpline number is appearing at the end of more and more TV programs.
It is starting to get very irritating.
I expect it is to protect them against people suing them for damage to their mental health.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 02, 2021, 11:29:07 AM
Have you been effected by the issues raised in this Topic?
If so our trained trauma councilor moderators are available on PM to talk to you....
No, but I have been traumatised by the difference between affect and effect. Not to mention counsellors.
I'm off to take one of my red pills.  ;D
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 02, 2021, 02:51:15 PM

Now hang on, that's a slightly different issue surely.

Numerous shows have "this show might offend you as it was made in times when people had a sense of humour and weren't swivel eyed snowflakes triggered at the slightest thing" warnings. That isn't remotely what this thread was started to whing about .....

Have you been affected by the issues in this programme? Has been added to more and more TV programs over the last few months
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 12:08:41 PM
The whinge is because it appears to be now on old TV "cop" fictional TV shows and many others unrelated to current affair or programs covering specific issues.

Now hang on, that's a slightly different issue surely.

Numerous shows have "this show might offend you as it was made in times when people had a sense of humour and weren't swivel eyed snowflakes triggered at the slightest thing" warnings. That isn't remotely what this thread was started to whing about .....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on September 02, 2021, 11:19:15 AM
He's right John,they all do it,the commercial stations too
https://www.itv.com/advice

In which case I lay the blame squarely at my disinterest in TV these days ....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

∆∆∆
But if it triggers an over-the-top reaction in some people — for them it can be all consuming...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

∆∆∆
My suggestion is try focusing on something else — sounds like you have sight and movement adjuncts to misophonia, a sort of selective sensitivity syndrome...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 02, 2021, 12:46:03 PM
Anyhow, back to the way your issue affects you —

It doesn't it is merely irritating. Locally every year Cornwall Council does a mail shot to every home. Amongst the propaganda are several pages with "help," and counselling organisations listed for wide range of problems.
Also the GP medical practice, the library, post offices, hospital waiting areas have a large quantities of notices and leaflets for any problem you can think of.

patman post

The whinge is because it appears to be now on old TV "cop" fictional TV shows and many others unrelated to current affair or programs covering specific issues.
Does it matter if it's fact or fiction, or current or in the past, if someone is upset by portrayal of an event? And is the information interrupting the flow of programme?  Are you, perhaps being over sensitive?

For myself, I find it verging between laughable and to see old broadcasts hacked about and bowdlerised because of past attitides and wording, and would much rather they were accompanied by an explanation if one is thought to be needed. 

Anyhow, back to the way your issue affects you — Talk therapy can be helpful, as can anger management classes. Anger management sessions can be taken in person or online:
https://www.healthline.com/health/why-am-i-so-angry#treatments 

I understand that some people constantly feel impatient, irritated, and hostile and can experience an uncontrollable anger that often escalates, especially when the provocation is minor. But it seems Healthline can help...

cromwell

Well it's like any break in between one show and another,off to the bog,brewing up,reading the news it's so minor don't even notice.
Still if you write in and say you are affected by the notices to people affected by issues they might do one for you.😛
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 02, 2021, 12:04:00 PM
It happens on radio too — and not just BBC.   
LBC and Times do it differently, but if they cover a "sensitive issue" there will frequently be reference to a help organisation to contact. 

Frankly, I don't understand the complaint. Surely, the announcements are examples of public service. They don't interfere with the programme.

The whinge seems like the guy who called a phone-in complaining about the corrugations on the pavement by pedestrian crossings because they hurt his feet...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 10:50:39 AM
It is across all channels not just the BBC.
It happens on radio too — and not just BBC.   
LBC and Times do it differently, but if they cover a "sensitive issue" there will frequently be reference to a help organisation to contact. 

Frankly, I don't understand the complaint. Surely, the announcements are examples of public service. They don't interfere with the programme.

The whinge seems like the guy who called a phone-in complaining about the corrugations on the pavement by pedestrian crossings because they hurt his feet...