Gas price rises prompt urgent government talks

Started by papasmurf, September 19, 2021, 07:21:27 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 19, 2021, 01:10:29 PM

I thought that had been abandoned as part of the Chinese plit to starve and freeze us to death.

No it hasn't. Still being constructed.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 19, 2021, 11:19:47 AM
Has anyone noticed the wind has reduced this year?
I don't think Revelation 7:1 has started quite yet! However having any power system based on wind is foolish. Supplemental is OK but Boris (or Carrie) wants to make it our main source of power.
I support nuclear, which keeps the carbon nut jobs happy, too.

We're going to have people dying in their homes in the winter if governments don't get a grip on this. We are 10 years behind doing anything which might have saved us from energy shortfall.
We've changed all our light bulbs for Chinese LEDs, now all we can do is switch them off.

Quite the opposite

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/21/may-gales-help-britain-set-record-for-wind-power-generation

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 08:59:58 AM
Well I know this is an old issue but the utilities should never have been sold off.

Tell that to die hard tories who believe in the myth of the blessed Margaret,even the more wealthy and industry leaders came to that conclusion years ago.

Gas yes, electricity no. That was not Maggie.
Gas prices have remain fairly constant, with the steepest rise coming under Labour 😉.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 09:22:09 AM
The Chinese already are Hinkley Point C.

I thought that had been abandoned as part of the Chinese plit to starve and freeze us to death.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 19, 2021, 11:19:47 AM

Not where I live. but is has elsewhere in Britain.

Barry

I don't think Revelation 7:1 has started quite yet! However having any power system based on wind is foolish. Supplemental is OK but Boris (or Carrie) wants to make it our main source of power.
I support nuclear, which keeps the carbon nut jobs happy, too.

We're going to have people dying in their homes in the winter if governments don't get a grip on this. We are 10 years behind doing anything which might have saved us from energy shortfall.
We've changed all our light bulbs for Chinese LEDs, now all we can do is switch them off.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 09:24:06 AM
PFI as we know was labours sleight of hand where they loaded up billions of debt  , didt show up on their books , and was passed down to future generations and governments to deal with.

is there?

I wouldnt know cromwell , i dont watch telly , or rarely. How do you mean?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09vymhq
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2021, 09:20:35 AM
Brexit has and will make those problems worse.
Along with the tories being worse than the nazis.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2021, 09:15:57 AM
All too true,short term policies to balance the books or give out freebies to say look how good we've been for you when the reality like pfi is you'll pay through the nose in the end.

PFI as we know was labours sleight of hand where they loaded up billions of debt  , didt show up on their books , and was passed down to future generations and governments to deal with.

QuoteI see there's a new Bliar/Brown show being trumpeted on the box

is there?

I wouldnt know cromwell , i dont watch telly , or rarely. How do you mean?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Thomas

Plenty of gas out there , and very low demand for it at the minute. Russia Alone has enough to power most of europe for the next century.

On top of that , for various reasons including apparently "covid" , many european countries havent stocked up on gas supplies and storage . Funny how when the "market" prices decline , that is rarely passed on to consumers , but let the merest hint of prices go up , and these companies are busting a gut to pass the price rise on.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

To show how much the uk is reliant on foreign power , when i was looking at this the other day , norway was supplying 1.3 GW (4% ) of uk electric demand , with France Belgium and holland supplying a further 8%.

As i said , the uk governments of both labour and tory for the past 40 years if not more and their inept energy policy is madness. I would expect more and more disruption going forward , and suggestions of brexit or covid are merely convenient excuses for short term visionless policy which sees the uk government teetering one minute behind green energy , and the next begging the chinese to build nuclear , and a lot of fannying about in between.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 09:06:28 AM

To be fair cromwell , England im sorry to say is largely where the issues are. Your country cannot feed fuel or power itself , and largely because of succesive governments short term lack of forward thinking while continuing to drive the population upwards is leaving you at the mercy more and more of global issues where you are reliant on foreigners for your basic everyday needs.

Brexit has and will make those problems worse.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on September 19, 2021, 09:06:28 AM
Totally agree cromwell , started with thatcher and continued under blair and brown while labour had their 13 year stint. We have discussed it many a time .

Labour even began privatising scottish water , until they were kicked out before they could go any further and the process stopped.

To be fair cromwell , England im sorry to say is largely where the issues are. Your country cannot feed fuel or power itself , and largely because of succesive governments short term lack of forward thinking while continuing to drive the population upwards is leaving you at the mercy more and more of global issues where you are reliant on foreigners for your basic everyday needs.
All too true,short term policies to balance the books or give out freebies to say look how good we've been for you when the reality like pfi is you'll pay through the nose in the end.
I see there's a new Bliar/Brown show being trumpeted on the box :-X