Higher gas prices as Brexit is confirmed

Started by Nick, October 06, 2021, 07:46:48 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 08:39:53 PM
I know where Jersey is and they have now issued the majority of licences applied for. (If you kept up to speed with current affairs you would know that. )
Be fair he is up to date but has been rather busy schooling you on
Off licences
Hgv drivers
Cornwalls viable fishing industry
Supermarkets well stocked
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on November 10, 2021, 05:56:57 PMi dont come on this forum for the stimulating political discourse....... more the laugh listening to some of the zany contributors.
I find this forum to be a hotbed of conspiracy theorists and science denialists, but your posts at least are intellectually stimulating from time to time.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
What has Britain issuing licences got anything to do with was being discussed? I suggest you learn where Jersey is cause it isn't part of Britain or the U.K. And Gerry's statement about the U.K. issuing licenses shows his geography isn't up to speed either.
I don't need to keep up with current affairs with you two, an understanding of geography does it every time 😂 😂
I know where Jersey is and they have now issued the majority of licences applied for. (If you kept up to speed with current affairs you would know that. )
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
What has Britain issuing licences got anything to do with was being discussed? I suggest you learn where Jersey is cause it isn't part of Britain or the U.K. And Gerry's statement about the U.K. issuing licenses shows his geography isn't up to speed either.
I don't need to keep up with current affairs with you two, an understanding of geography does it every time 😂 😂
Be fair now nick , Gerry is posting from kent , and pappy doesnt even know where his nearest off licence is never mind the channel islands.

I tell you , i dont come on this forum for the stimulating political discourse....... more the laugh listening to some of the zany contributors.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2021, 02:36:52 PM
Nick do you not follow current affairs at all? Britain has now issued 98% of the licences requested.
The fishing vessel (a scallop dredger,) was arrested because it had two tonnes of scallops on board when scallop fishing has been banned in French waters because of a nasty disease transmissible to humans, Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP). The ban could be as long as a year. Based on past bans, which have happened in UK waters in the past.

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/screen/notification/473163

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2021, 03:26:04 PM
That is the talk, but the people of Ireland don't see it as Ireland stuck in the middle between the EU and UK, the general feeling is Ireland is firmly on one side with the EU and the UK are on the other side.

There is also talk that Johnson likes to keep the anti EU talk going as it distracts from the issues Brexit is throwing up, that the UK will talk of triggering Art16 but in the end won't. But this UK govt has a track record of doing stupid things, so there is the possibility that they will trigger Art 16.

What happens after that is anyone's guess, most likely a timeline will be set where Ireland will have to put up a border between NI and ROI and the UK will have to do the same, logic would say there isn't any other alternative. At the same time the EU will first look for the UK to explain how and why Art16 is being triggered, there is some misconception that Art16 is a magic bullet that can do away with the NI protocol, far from it. Art16 can be triggered where there are unforeseen issues and then only for a limited duration while both the EU and UK sit down to come up with a solution to the issue. If Johnson thinks he can trigger the magic bullet because there are customs checks between GB and NI he's in for a shock. Customs checks between GB and NI is the core of the NI protocol, hardly an unforeseen issue. Maybe if Johnson put in the border infrastructure and employed the customs officials to allow these checks to happen without delay then the problems will go away.

Also the understanding in Ireland is that most people in NI are happy with the NI protocol, most objections are coming from minority groups such as the DUP or some such political group, I haven't seen many business people complaining and that includes Unionist business.
Told you what i think , that johnson will kick the can down the road and let stormont decide wether to continue with the protocol.

It was just interesting reading that the brits are thinking about triggering article 16 after cop 26 finishes , so as you say lets wait and see.

I suspect its all noise and bluster for the party faithfull and unionists throughout the uk to be seen to repair some of the damage with a border within their "country" , but maybe not.

Either way , the clock is ticking down to a border poll one way or the other so it will be interesting to see .

QuoteAlso the understanding in Ireland is that most people in NI are happy with the NI protocol, most objections are coming from minority groups such as the DUP or some such political group, I haven't seen many business people complaining and that includes Unionist business.
i read that too , but dont forget many of the brits are unhappy with it , although many dont care either.

i love it either way , its a large stick to beat the tories with in scotland , brexit woz a uk vote so the uk has to leave and all that.

Johnson is hated with a passion in scotland , and when starmer has to come out and tell people he is accpeting brexit , well i generally fall off the chair laughing at the groans coming from whats left of scottish labour.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on November 10, 2021, 11:12:13 AM
I hear the rumour in ireland is the british are about to rip up the northern ireland protocol after cop26 is finished gerry?

Looks like the Irish are getting geared up for a trade war between the EU and the yookay.
That is the talk, but the people of Ireland don't see it as Ireland stuck in the middle between the EU and UK, the general feeling is Ireland is firmly on one side with the EU and the UK are on the other side.

There is also talk that Johnson likes to keep the anti EU talk going as it distracts from the issues Brexit is throwing up, that the UK will talk of triggering Art16 but in the end won't. But this UK govt has a track record of doing stupid things, so there is the possibility that they will trigger Art 16.

What happens after that is anyone's guess, most likely a timeline will be set where Ireland will have to put up a border between NI and ROI and the UK will have to do the same, logic would say there isn't any other alternative. At the same time the EU will first look for the UK to explain how and why Art16 is being triggered, there is some misconception that Art16 is a magic bullet that can do away with the NI protocol, far from it. Art16 can be triggered where there are unforeseen issues and then only for a limited duration while both the EU and UK sit down to come up with a solution to the issue. If Johnson thinks he can trigger the magic bullet because there are customs checks between GB and NI he's in for a shock. Customs checks between GB and NI is the core of the NI protocol, hardly an unforeseen issue. Maybe if Johnson put in the border infrastructure and employed the customs officials to allow these checks to happen without delay then the problems will go away.

Also the understanding in Ireland is that most people in NI are happy with the NI protocol, most objections are coming from minority groups such as the DUP or some such political group, I haven't seen many business people complaining and that includes Unionist business.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2021, 12:01:01 PM
Care to show where the U.K. issued more licenses?

The French just detained a U.K. fishing vessel out of shear petulance. The EU said nothing.
Nick do you not follow current affairs at all? Britain has now issued 98% of the licences requested.
The fishing vessel (a scallop dredger,) was arrested because it had two tonnes of scallops on board when scallop fishing has been banned in French waters because of a nasty disease transmissible to humans, Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP). The ban could be as long as a year. Based on past bans, which have happened in UK waters in the past.

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/screen/notification/473163
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2021, 09:02:12 AM
You are slow, first the EU and France have done nothing. France and not the EU talked of following the agreement to the letter of the law because the UK were breaching its commitments to issue licences. We can only assume France was right as the UK did quickly issue more licences. Why would the UK do that if they were in the right. The EU gave no comment on the matter, prob because the UK were so fast in doing an about turn. But in your mind that's an example of the EU punishing the UK.

You said the EU is punishing the UK. you have given no example of the EU doing anything of the sort. So come on give us even 1 example of the eu punishing the UK.
Care to show where the U.K. issued more licenses?

The French just detained a U.K. fishing vessel out of shear petulance. The EU said nothing. 

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on November 10, 2021, 09:02:12 AM
You are slow, first the EU and France have done nothing. France and not the EU talked of following the agreement to the letter of the law because the UK were breaching its commitments to issue licences. We can only assume France was right as the UK did quickly issue more licences. Why would the UK do that if they were in the right. The EU gave no comment on the matter, prob because the UK were so fast in doing an about turn. But in your mind that's an example of the EU punishing the UK.

You said the EU is punishing the UK. you have given no example of the EU doing anything of the sort. So come on give us even 1 example of the eu punishing the UK.
I hear the rumour in ireland is the british are about to rip up the northern ireland protocol after cop26 is finished gerry?

Looks like the Irish are getting geared up for a trade war between the EU and the yookay.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2021, 10:05:33 PM
It's not punishment if I only give one example? Is that what you're saying Gerry? Phenomenal argument that is.

Fantastic!! This is the sentence we have all been waiting for, and the acknowledgment from you that the EU are punishing the UK.
How many years has it taken but Gerry finally confirmed in black and white that the EU is corrupt and a self serving political monster, and you wonder why the UK didn't want to be held to account by the EC(NF)J Union Flag
You are slow, first the EU and France have done nothing. France and not the EU talked of following the agreement to the letter of the law because the UK were breaching its commitments to issue licences. We can only assume France was right as the UK did quickly issue more licences. Why would the UK do that if they were in the right. The EU gave no comment on the matter, prob because the UK were so fast in doing an about turn. But in your mind that's an example of the EU punishing the UK.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2021, 05:22:12 PMSurely if you think the EU is punishing the UK you would have a number of examples.
It's not punishment if I only give one example? Is that what you're saying Gerry? Phenomenal argument that is.

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2021, 05:22:12 PMWhat did France do ? the UK is no longer a member so the EU won't be backing the UK, if anything they will back France.
Fantastic!! This is the sentence we have all been waiting for, and the acknowledgment from you that the EU are punishing the UK.
How many years has it taken but Gerry finally confirmed in black and white that the EU is corrupt and a self serving political monster, and you wonder why the UK didn't want to be held to account by the EC(NF)J Union Flag

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2021, 04:09:04 PM
If you don't think it's happening then you're a fool.
What is the EU doing about France breaking the rules? Supporting them that's what, is that punishment? You need to give Ray his glasses back.
No, you said the EU is punishing the UK, how so ? is it just the French fishing issue or is it other issues. Surely if you think the EU is punishing the UK you would have a number of examples. It just sounds like the same old same, blame the EU, even after you've left.
What did France do ? the UK is no longer a member so the EU won't be backing the UK, if anything they will back France. France said they would perform a go slow at ports, still following the rules but any little issue and they would make a meal out of it. What would the EU do about that, nothing. France believes the UK played silly buggers about the issuing of licences, I read a article that showed the issue isn't black and white, so prob an element of truth in what Franc says and what the UK says. Either way this is the new reality. But like everyone kept telling me, they knew what brexit meant and what would happen when out, so I'm sure none of this is a surprise.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on November 09, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
How is the EU punishing the UK, the UK made agreements and they are not keeping up with their commitments, do you think it's punishment because the EU call them out on it ? or do you think those agreements shouldn't be implemented the way they were agreed. Or maybe your talking about something else, how is it the EU is punishing the UK.
If you don't think it's happening then you're a fool. 
What is the EU doing about France breaking the rules? Supporting them that's what, is that punishment? You need to give Ray his glasses back.