Remembering forgotten experiences.

Started by Nalaar, October 20, 2021, 11:26:15 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on October 21, 2021, 10:56:56 PMHave just noticed the font setting on the OP is odd, I assume due to the text being copy/pasted. Anyways - Yes, whether you will find out about the person/event is a large part due to other people and circumstance, which is why the query is based on what you think you would  want in such a situation, as opposed to what you might get.
I can't see a font problem but I'm posting on an android phone using the forums mobile setup and crazy things are happening and have been for months ...  Like when I post this, all the carriage returns will be erased. Moving on to what I came to say, as I said below I'm one of a few who in common with Richard Hammond have actually lost all memory of events over a short time frame directly prior to a traumatic event.  I have for years maintained the view that I have to know as much as I can about that lost time. All of it, good and bad. When it was realised I had lost all memory of those events, I became the holy grail to a while load of neurologists and brain biochemists and from my limited interactions with the other people in the same condition I met through those researchers, it seemed we all wanted the same thing.  Like the black guy on the ground who Dirty Harry asks if he feels lucky, "I got to know, man"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Have just noticed the font setting on the OP is odd, I assume due to the text being copy/pasted.

Anyways - Yes, whether you will find out about the person/event is a large part due to other people and circumstance, which is why the query is based on what you think you would  want in such a situation, as opposed to what you might get.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Srb's got a good point there. If my brother hadn't spotted the death notice and said "hey isn't that the shitbag"... I'd have no idea.  And if you've totally forgotten - as I had - reading of the demise would not mean anything. So yes, it will require a judgement call in the part of those around you ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

It would depend upon the circumstances. If someone had caused me a lot of potential upset in the past by for example scamming me successfully in some way, even if they were dead I would like to know about it, just to be sure I could not be taken in by something similar again. But if it were some terrible childhood trauma involving abuse of some kind and the perpetrator was dead and gone now, I might well be happier not knowing about it.

It would ultimately have to be a judgement call by those around me. After all I could not make the decision without first knowing about it myself. In which case I would already know and not need to be told. So it would inevitably rely upon those closest to you making a judgement call in your best interests. Which itself will be decided by how lucky you are with your relatives, and how wise in your choice of friends or partner.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on October 20, 2021, 11:26:15 AMThe setup for this is a little clumsy but I hope I can get across the crux of the idea. Imagine (or remember) a person who was cruel towards you, be they colleague, friend, or family - someone who was malicious in their treatment of you. Imagine also that you have an accident - you recover fully, except you have lost some memories of your life. The memories of your life that you have lost include all interactions with the cruel person. The cruel person is now dead and will never interact with you again. Would you want someone to tell you about your interactions with the cruel person, to learn/remember memories lost to the accident. Or would you prefer to never learn/remember those memories.
As I think I have mentioned more than once, back in 1977 a large articulated lorry came pretty close to killing me when it failed to stop for a red light. Among my various injuries was a total loss of knowledge of the entire three weeks of my life prior to this, plus other losses It was many years later that I found a newspaper announcement of the death of a certain person who attended my secondary school through cancer My middle brother reminded me this was the sick bastard that hat made my life utter hell for five years I had totally forgotten his existence. That evening I went out and drank several pints to celebrate the bastard getting what was coming to him. So yeah, I'd want to know.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2021, 02:05:38 PM
What if it was an ex girlfriend who had really stitched you up and although you didn't remember you had met her again and been smitten again? Would you want your friends to warn you?
Not into necrophilia :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: Nalaar on October 20, 2021, 02:43:16 PM
Cheers, Nalaar comes from the character (and family) of Chandra Nalaar from the Wizards of the Coast property 'Magic: The Gathering'.
Ah ok. There is a character in raymond e feists novels regarding the world of midkemia called nalaar , havent heard the name anywhere else so was just wondering.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nalaar

Quote from: Thomas on October 20, 2021, 02:30:42 PM
Good to see you back nalaar.

Just wondering( off topic ) where did  you get the idea for the username? Is Nalaar from one of raymond e. Feist novels on the Midkemia world?
Cheers, Nalaar comes from the character (and family) of Chandra Nalaar from the Wizards of the Coast property 'Magic: The Gathering'. 

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 20, 2021, 02:22:07 PM
Thanks, its been that long that I did indeed forget my password ^,^;; but I've just been too busy irl for much time online, that said I have a few different questions lined up that I've been thinking on so will post I've the next while on them.

The 'what if your judgement is misplaced in future' seems to be the most common reason for people wanting the 'bad memories' of those I've asked. Which is why I include the 'person is dead' statement.
Silly me I forgot that bit. ???

Thomas

Quote from: Nalaar on October 20, 2021, 02:22:07 PM
Thanks, its been that long that I did indeed forget my password ^,^;; but I've just been too busy irl for much time online, that said I have a few different questions lined up that I've been thinking on so will post I've the next while on them.

The 'what if your judgement is misplaced in future' seems to be the most common reason for people wanting the 'bad memories' of those I've asked. Which is why I include the 'person is dead' statement.
Good to see you back nalaar.

Just wondering( off topic ) where did  you get the idea for the username? Is Nalaar from one of raymond e. Feist novels on the Midkemia world?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nalaar

Thanks, its been that long that I did indeed forget my password ^,^;; but I've just been too busy irl for much time online, that said I have a few different questions lined up that I've been thinking on so will post I've the next while on them. 

The 'what if your judgement is misplaced in future' seems to be the most common reason for people wanting the 'bad memories' of those I've asked. Which is why I include the 'person is dead' statement. 

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on October 20, 2021, 02:02:14 PM
No wouldn't,people who are tossers and forgotten better staying that way.
What if it was an ex girlfriend who had really stitched you up and although you didn't remember you had met her again and been smitten again? Would you want your friends to warn you?

cromwell

No wouldn't,people who are tossers and forgotten better staying that way.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Yes, you have been missed, I wondered if you'd lost your password. ;)

Another interesting if pointless mental hurdle to help us all through the day.
I've not thought too deeply about this, but suspect that any given answer will be wrong on some score. Personally, I think that the previous difficulties we have all suffered in life tend to shape our characters, generally making us stronger people.
Therefore, I will go for yes to being reminded, although it might be the experience which made us lose the memory trumps the other for making us stronger.
† The end is nigh †