Bob the billionaire.

Started by Nalaar, October 21, 2021, 11:09:36 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 28, 2021, 03:44:49 PM
What you mean is if someone has to be sterilised because of a medical condition and is black and Bob the racist wants to give them a shedload of cash to do what has to be done anyway then yes if the person wants to accept it.

It would just prove Bob besides being a racist billionaire is also stupid which when you think about it is probably the case.

Thanks. 
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 28, 2021, 02:42:10 PM
I think whether or not you see sterilization as legal in certain circumstances is more relevant than a meta-projection onto international politics.

But keeping with what you have defined as a good reason - If someone had a medical reason for the surgery, do you think Bob should be able to legally pay them a lump sum to be sterilized if they meet his other criteria?
What you mean is if someone has to be sterilised because of a medical condition and is black and Bob the racist wants to give them a shedload of cash to do what has to be done anyway then yes if the person wants to accept it.

It would just prove Bob besides being a racist billionaire is also stupid which when you think about it is probably the case.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 27, 2021, 03:19:29 PM
For a good medical reason yes,but that is not relevant to the op is it.

The other thing that I posted regarding the developed and undeveloped world you thought irrelevant was certainly more pertinent.

Also in todays climate I would expect that were I to present that scenario as a workable idea I expect that I would have no problem people thinking it an excellent proposition.
I think whether or not you see sterilization as legal in certain circumstances is more relevant than a meta-projection onto international politics.

But keeping with what you have defined as a good reason - If someone had a medical reason for the surgery, do you think Bob should be able to legally pay them a lump sum to be sterilized if they meet his other criteria?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on October 27, 2021, 06:24:46 PM
I am not bothered. I am white and male and assume that I am a racist because all white males are. Can't say that it bothers me, but as said before, it would have been nice if Nalaar had raised the age of sterilisation to 35. Both my children were born by then and like most parents, I could have done with £100,000
Damn. I never thought of that. But you're right, I was 33 when Jennifer was born. A guarantee I was shooting blanks would have been useful when I was working in Essex in my early 40s. And like you, i would have found a hundred grand useful.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on October 27, 2021, 06:13:47 PM
Yes indeed. You know that your comments and conclusions are quite likely to cause offence, particularly to those with a faith who don't see the world as you appear to, but that doesn't stop you pressing on regardless

I don't care what race your characters are, I'm just observing that you chose to identify the "bad" character in this story as white and male, probably because our liberal society has encouraged you to view this group negatively. While you are happy to "provoke" those with more conservative views, you lack the moral courage to have cast your racist villain as anything other than a white man

I am not bothered. I am white and male and assume that I am a racist because all white males are. Can't say that it bothers me, but as said before, it would have been nice if Nalaar had raised the age of sterilisation to 35. Both my children were born by then and like most parents, I could have done with £100,000
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar on October 26, 2021, 10:08:45 PM
Yes. I am quite deliberately trying to provoke responses, given this is an Internet forum.

The races of the people involved can be in whatever you want them to be, it doesn't matter.

Yes indeed. You know that your comments and conclusions are quite likely to cause offence, particularly to those with a faith who don't see the world as you appear to, but that doesn't stop you pressing on regardless

I don't care what race your characters are, I'm just observing that you chose to identify the "bad" character in this story as white and male, probably because our liberal society has encouraged you to view this group negatively. While you are happy to "provoke" those with more conservative views, you lack the moral courage to have cast your racist villain as anything other than a white man

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 27, 2021, 03:17:33 PM
LOL I imagine you would! 
I like to consider Monsieur Dassault something of a role model. I've sold missiles to anyone too. The difference between us is I left the destruct codes in place, and kept the remote control. There's amorality, and then there's stupidity
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 27, 2021, 02:36:39 PM
I think it's undeniably relevant.

So to cut to the basics - Do you believe it is possible for someone to be well-informed, and consent to being sterilized?
For a good medical reason yes,but that is not relevant to the op is it.

The other thing that I posted regarding the developed and undeveloped world you thought irrelevant was certainly more pertinent.

Also in todays climate I would expect that were I to present that scenario as a workable idea I expect that I would have no problem people thinking it an excellent proposition.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 27, 2021, 02:59:39 PM
I think it is entirely feasible for almost anyone of even modest intelligence to have the consequences of such a procedure explained to them fairly and honestly, and for them to decide this is for them.

That is, after all, the basis of what I would consider the extreme end of family planning solutions perhaps suited to those who consider they've got plenty of kids already thank you

But the scenario I pose above is a thousand miles away from yours. However, the principle remains that it is something a person of sound mind should be able to consent to.

I have to warn you though, I'd be right round the corner before your clinic, offering the guy free cryo storage in a sperm bank ....
LOL I imagine you would!  

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on October 27, 2021, 02:36:39 PM

So to cut to the basics - Do you believe it is possible for someone to be well-informed, and consent to being sterilized?
I think it is entirely feasible for almost anyone of even modest intelligence to have the consequences of such a procedure explained to them fairly and honestly, and for them to decide this is for them.

That is, after all, the basis of what I would consider the extreme end of family planning solutions perhaps suited to those who consider they've got plenty of kids already thank you 

But the scenario I pose above is a thousand miles away from yours. However, the principle remains that it is something a person of sound mind should be able to consent to.

I have to warn you though, I'd be right round the corner before your clinic, offering the guy free cryo storage in a sperm bank .... 

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 27, 2021, 01:16:25 PM
Can't really see why that is relevant tbh.

Youve asked a question not about people in general being sterilised but for the power and control of some looney billionaire.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 27, 2021, 01:30:06 PM
Do you mean 'amoral' or did you mean 'immoral'.

Charles Dassault was openly amoral when selling his weaponry. He had no scruples about who he would sell his gear to. Some might call that immoral, he disagreed.
I meant amoral. There seems to be no argument about the morality or immorality of Nalaar's proposition. It is totally devoid of morality only legality. I maintain that even the legal system should be mindful of the morality of a situation as described.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 27, 2021, 11:45:37 AM
I am not suggesting it is your view Nalaar but can you not see that the arguments you are putting forward are amoral? Perhaps it is just an experiment on your side and we should not take you seriously.
Do you mean 'amoral' or did you mean 'immoral'.

Charles Dassault was openly amoral when selling his weaponry. He had no scruples about who he would sell his gear to. Some might call that immoral, he disagreed.

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on October 27, 2021, 01:03:49 PM
I don't mean in the case of the OP, I mean in general.
Can't really see why that is relevant tbh.

Youve asked a question not about people in general being sterilised but for the power and control of some looney billionaire.

Nalaar

Quote from: cromwell on October 27, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Erm no you can't assume,who except those in desperate circumstances would commit to such a thing.
I don't mean in the case of the OP, I mean in general.