The madness is reaching fever pitch

Started by Sheepy, December 05, 2021, 11:05:43 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2021, 09:32:31 AM
I vote tactically to keep a Tory out, there aren't any cottage burners in Cornwall. (Yet.)

You may not live to see them.

But I think they will come
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2021, 05:53:43 PM
It can be over 10 bad choices.
They are a cult Smurphy. I have no idea why I am even telling you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on December 06, 2021, 05:44:33 PM
Standing in a booth once every four years to choice between a couple of very bad choices,
It can be over 10 bad choices.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sampanviking

Standing in a booth once every four years to choice between a couple of very bad choices, neither of which takes the blindest bit of notice of their electors, once they are ensconced in power, is a hollow sham of a democracy.

There are a number of very critical issues which effect all of us, but decisions about them are being made with barely any debate and certainly no choice.
I may set a poll in the appropriate section just to illustrate.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2021, 03:39:48 PM
Same old excuses trotted out again.
It is not an excuse it is fact. 54% of the vote is not 54% of the electorate.

All of the six Cornish MP could lose their seat at the next general election. (In the constituency where I live the Lib/Dem vote held solid and the Tory only got in on the back of Labour defectors to Tory.)
The MP in my constituency  is proving to be totally useless and George Useless is aptly nicknamed.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2021, 03:23:19 PM
54% of the vote is not 54% of the electorate and I suggest you check the data.
Same old excuses trotted out again. The 2019 GE had the biggest turnout for 20+ years but you think you're going to engage the 26% of electorate that never vote to engage in your tactical vote to out the Tories. Think you should pay if the wacky backy. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2021, 10:17:14 AM
So you think the 54% that voted Tories in all 6 seats are really going to turn to Labour?
54% of the vote is not 54% of the electorate and I suggest you check the data.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on December 06, 2021, 10:10:38 AM

Closer to the topic. I've said it before, parties should have clear manifestos upon which the electorate vote. When that party gets in, they carry out the manifesto. When they move into lies and la-la land there should be the automatic order of the boot.
That works for me though in reality events can change what is and isn't possible . Any legislation has to go through due process or are we saying we cut out the Commons  and the Lords and cut straight to the chase ?

As I say that works for me , a sort of  Direct Democracy that's agreed every few years . It would need a long manifesto though .

Sheepy

Quote from: HDQQ on December 06, 2021, 10:18:06 AM
It all depends if they're democratically elected!!!  Going by the usual consensus on these boards, if a party advocating the death penalty for anyone driving a blue car was democratically elected to power, then implementing that policy would be perfectly fair Dancing

Can you point out where anybody on this forum has said anything of the kind Ducky? It sounds like one of those awful swerves from the reality of the whole thing.

HDQQ

Quote from: Sheepy on December 05, 2021, 11:05:43 PM
How Liberal is a bunch of militant politician's and media removing every human right under false pretences?
It all depends if they're democratically elected!!!  Going by the usual consensus on these boards, if a party advocating the death penalty for anyone driving a blue car was democratically elected to power, then implementing that policy would be perfectly fair Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2021, 10:03:56 AM
Nobody want Labour?  That is a ridiculous statement. That would mean zero votes for them and there is no sign of that.
So you think the 54% that voted Tories in all 6 seats are really going to turn to Labour? 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on December 06, 2021, 10:01:19 AM
I would say Smurphy completely ignored the points in the original post.
He did. But then he is well known for derailing threads, posting off topic and posting Tory bad, which has had him banned on numerous occasions.
But he won't ever listen, as only he can ever be right. He is always being warned not to post off topic. 

Closer to the topic. I've said it before, parties should have clear manifestos upon which the electorate vote. When that party gets in, they carry out the manifesto. When they move into lies and la-la land there should be the automatic order of the boot.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on December 06, 2021, 10:01:19 AM
Actually I didn't. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2021, 10:00:18 AM
So the answer is nothing then. The reason being, how bad the Tories are nobody wants Labour in.
Nobody want Labour?  That is a ridiculous statement. That would mean zero votes for them and there is no sign of that.

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 06, 2021, 09:33:17 AM
The state of British politics aye , a who's worse than who argument .  Trouble is it takes a lot of cabbage to break into Westminster so we are stuck with what we have got .

How can we make our politicians more accountable ,how can we make them more honest ?  Is I suppose the question along with how do we stop people moving to populist parties ?

I would say the former will not happen until we do the latter .