Boris is talking tough

Started by Churchill, December 21, 2019, 03:41:15 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Churchill post_id=11073 time=1577030734 user_id=69
We will have to wait and see how the EU reacts to his deal,

What deal, the WA has been agreed and there's been no future deal discussion's yet.

Quote from: Churchill post_id=11073 time=1577030734 user_id=69
 if they continue to frustrate the UK leaving it could end up with the UK just walking away which will not do either the EU or UK any good at all.

Can you show how the EU has frustrated the UK's leaving. To date the only one frustrating the UK leaving has been the UK.  You couldn't possibly be referring to the EU not agreeing to the UK wanting full membership after leaving, not paying, no freedom of movement or rule taking, the old Johnson "Cake and Eat it" plan. The UK not getting what it wants doesn't in any way stop the UK leaving. What your not getting is Leaving and getting a deal are totally separate things.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11075 time=1577031275 user_id=61
You misread, I said 40 Free trade deals, not 40 yrs.

Who says the UK is aligned, Johnson might not want to keep aligned. There is also the fact that the UK used 40 or so regulatory bodies which it will loose after brexit, the negotiations may see the UK continue to pay to use these or it may decide to set it's own up at additional cost. If it does will these stay in alignment or will they "take back control" and do their own thing.

The EU won't be interested in how aligned the UK is in the first hr after brexit but what legal commitments it will make to stay aligned as part of any future trade deal.

Now considering that the reason the UK is leaving is to carve it's own path, it would suggest that the UK's plan will be to diverge and certainly not to stay in Alignment with EU rules and regulations. That's not "taking back control"

Gerry you are re running the referendum over and over again.

They want to leave , they are going to leave , and they think they will get their cake and eat it.

There is no talking to them , you have to let them get on with it.

You should be concentrating on protecting the 6 counties , getting prepared for reunification ,  and decreasing any trade dependency you might have with the uk.

It seems to me your arguments on here are doing more harm than good if you are trying to win over hearts and minds to stay in the eu.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick post_id=11040 time=1577012297 user_id=73
40 years of trade deals!!  Not bad seeing it's only 26 years old.

10 years for a deal, when has the EU negotiated a deal with country that it already is totally aligned with before?

You misread, I said 40 Free trade deals, not 40 yrs.

Who says the UK is aligned, Johnson might not want to keep aligned. There is also the fact that the UK used 40 or so regulatory bodies which it will loose after brexit, the negotiations may see the UK continue to pay to use these or it may decide to set it's own up at additional cost. If it does will these stay in alignment or will they "take back control" and do their own thing.

The EU won't be interested in how aligned the UK is in the first hr after brexit but what legal commitments it will make to stay aligned as part of any future trade deal.

Now considering that the reason the UK is leaving is to carve it's own path, it would suggest that the UK's plan will be to diverge and certainly not to stay in Alignment with EU rules and regulations. That's not "taking back control"

Churchill

We will have to wait and see how the EU reacts to his deal, if they continue to frustrate the UK leaving it could end up with the UK just walking away which will not do either the EU or UK any good at all.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

GerryT

Quote from: Churchill post_id=11037 time=1577011253 user_id=69
May was akin to Oliver Twist please Sir I really don't want to be here but the people have voted to leave the EU now be nice and let it happen with not too much fuss.

Boris just took May's WA, removed the backstop and put in the front stop (to the delight of the Irish) and that gets passed. Pretty much the same deal he refused earlier this yr.
Quote from: Churchill post_id=11037 time=1577011253 user_id=69
Boris is totally different, now like it or not this is going to happen lets get this deal done with, and ensure that neither the UK and the EU is damaged too much in the process.

What he has done with the hard stop (if he actually doesn't do an about turn) is cause the greatest damage to the UK and EU. It's near impossible to conclude a comprehensive FTA in 12 mths.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick post_id=11038 time=1577012013 user_id=73
Says a bitter and twisted jock.

ive bought you a geography and history book for christmas Nick. :lol: its in the post dear.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=11032 time=1577008803 user_id=63
Which bit ?

i just meant there is no going back to the union of 1801 , thats all.

best wishes john hope you and yours have a good christmas and new year!

Nick

Quote from: GerryT post_id=11024 time=1576979868 user_id=61
Where can you demonstrate that the EU were giving May the impression that they held all the cards. Really your making this up. Regarding Brexit the UK have always held all the cards and the EU has had zero say in what happens. The UK knows that and the EU knows that. Brexit is all about leaving and to date it's being the UK stopping itself from leaving.

A future trade deal is a very different thing. The EU has over 40 free trade deals covering 60 countries, its market is about 7 or 8 times larger than the UK. The UK on the other hand has no trade deals and it's just shot itself in the foot putting a time limit on striking a deal. Who do you think has the stronger negotiating position.  

But leaving that aside, free trade deals take 10 plus years to bring into effect, the UK knows that, setting a time limit means the only deal possible is a very basic. That's a UK decision and again if it doesn't work out the only person to blame is Johnson, don't be saying the EU wouldn't deal.

40 years of trade deals!!  Not bad seeing it's only 26 years old.

10 years for a deal, when has the EU negotiated a deal with country that it already is totally aligned with before?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11029 time=1577005426 user_id=58
You use that word understand a hell of a lot , which is a bit rich coming from you .

Says a bitter and twisted jock.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Churchill

May was akin to Oliver Twist please Sir I really don't want to be here but the people have voted to leave the EU now be nice and let it happen with not too much fuss.

Boris is totally different, now like it or not this is going to happen lets get this deal done with, and ensure that neither the UK and the EU is damaged too much in the process.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=11032 time=1577008803 user_id=63
Which bit ?

That the republic is going to suffer as a result of our exit is either a reality, or the likes of Gerry T on here are bloody liars along with that arse of a prime minister of theirs. But as I say of Africa, they wanted out from our empire, we let them go, now they can f*cking suck it up.

As for the rest of my post, well, come on mate, you want to see an independent scotland ...

Yes ireland will be hit by brexit, not that the uk cares. But it will be nothing like the hit the uk will feel. We've been over this so many times you at this point know why. But delusional if you think that Africa left an empire and a hypocrite if you want out from the EU who had very little interference in uk lives compared to what the uk inflicted in Africa.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11030 time=1577005560 user_id=58
:lol:

I think that is nothing more than complete wishfull thinking john dont you?

Which bit ?

That the republic is going to suffer as a result of our exit is either a reality, or the likes of Gerry T on here are bloody liars along with that arse of a prime minister of theirs. But as I say of Africa, they wanted out from our empire, we let them go, now they can f*cking suck it up.

As for the rest of my post, well, come on mate, you want to see an independent scotland ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=11019 time=1576972793 user_id=63

As for Northern Ireland, well, I say we wait until the EU goes into meltdown and wait for the republic to come crawling back into the union.

:lol:

I think that is nothing more than complete wishfull thinking john dont you?

Thomas

Quote from: Nick post_id=11007 time=1576963927 user_id=73
Laughing but not understanding.

You use that word understand a hell of a lot , which is a bit rich coming from you .

GerryT

Quote from: Nick post_id=11023 time=1576974715 user_id=73
Are you serious?  The EU has been playing games with T May that they hold all the cards, they will now play a different game with Boris. If you think things haven't changed then you're not looking close enough.

Where can you demonstrate that the EU were giving May the impression that they held all the cards. Really your making this up. Regarding Brexit the UK have always held all the cards and the EU has had zero say in what happens. The UK knows that and the EU knows that. Brexit is all about leaving and to date it's being the UK stopping itself from leaving.

A future trade deal is a very different thing. The EU has over 40 free trade deals covering 60 countries, its market is about 7 or 8 times larger than the UK. The UK on the other hand has no trade deals and it's just shot itself in the foot putting a time limit on striking a deal. Who do you think has the stronger negotiating position.  

But leaving that aside, free trade deals take 10 plus years to bring into effect, the UK knows that, setting a time limit means the only deal possible is a very basic. That's a UK decision and again if it doesn't work out the only person to blame is Johnson, don't be saying the EU wouldn't deal.