Money will be tight

Started by T00ts, February 03, 2022, 10:20:30 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on August 16, 2022, 03:52:03 PM
After Borchester revived this memory I was prompted to look up the word Lant

Lant is aged urine. The term comes from Old English land, which referred to urine. Collected urine was put aside to ferment until used for its chemical content in many pre-industrial processes, such as cleaning and production. Wikipedia

I don't remember Dad ageing it but then again the bucket would disappear I know not where.  Puke
OK. You have triggered a memory from my research days.

Apparently the americans had problems in both the war of independence and the civil war with the supply of key chemicals necessary for the manufacture of gunpowder and significant effort was spent seeking alternative sources of nitrates suitable for the task. To this end the call went out particularly in the civil war for patriotic southern ladies to save the "chamber lees" (to be blunt, the contents of their piss pots) which was to be collected, and processed in ways i really don't want to think about.

Sadly the material created was indeed explosive, but there was a much bigger problem. The process of drying down the material which was obviously done by women given the men were busy shooting each other failed to remove certain pheremones that survived the process and made their way into the explosive powder as impurities. In what was probably the worst case of chemical warfare gone horribly wrong, the military were forced to abandon the process and look elsewhere as , according to reports sent back to headquarters, after an hour or so of a prolonged artillery barrage, the smoke drifted over the assembled fighting men who became seriously distracted by the erection caused by the airborne pheremones released by the firing.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 16, 2022, 06:04:31 PM
I was suddenly transported back to the days of Jack Hargreaves for a moment, Out of Town and the likes. Got a few of his on my book shelf.

Always remember him discussing Pigs. "Dogs look up to ya, Cats look down on ya, but Pigs, Pigs art same".

That was another idea. Pig poo. Works a treat but leaves stains.

Actually, give the clothing a good rinse and leave it on the line for a bit and there is no smell and everything is as sweet as a nut.

Except for the yellow stains. :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on August 16, 2022, 04:46:53 PM
Interesting post Toots.

I am going through my Ruth Goodman/Tales from the Green Valley phase. In one of the videos she mentioned that if she wanted to clean clothes, she put them in a bucket of water and urine and in as couple of days the job was done.

My belief is that if Ruth is not right then she is so entertaining with it that she should be, so I gave it a go.

It sort of worked. I used my work clothes and all the work related stains disappeared. Unfortunately they had a faint, yellowish ting as well....

Still, that was Ruth Goodman who can be forgiven all things...:):)
I was suddenly transported back to the days of Jack Hargreaves for a moment, Out of Town and the likes. Got a few of his on my book shelf. 

Always remember him discussing Pigs. "Dogs look up to ya, Cats look down on ya, but Pigs, Pigs art same". 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 16, 2022, 04:46:53 PM
Interesting post Toots.

I am going through my Ruth Goodman/Tales from the Green Valley phase. In one of the videos she mentioned that if she wanted to clean clothes, she put them in a bucket of water and urine and in as couple of days the job was done.

My belief is that if Ruth is not right then she is so entertaining with it that she should be, so I gave it a go.

It sort of worked. I used my work clothes and all the work related stains disappeared. Unfortunately they had a faint, yellowish ting as well....

Dancing Dancing Dancing I can't stop laughing. Only you would admit to such an act! Perhaps the tinge would disappear on rinsing or didn't you get that far? You don't mention smell!

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 16, 2022, 03:52:03 PM
After Borchester revived this memory I was prompted to look up the word Lant

Lant is aged urine. The term comes from Old English land, which referred to urine. Collected urine was put aside to ferment until used for its chemical content in many pre-industrial processes, such as cleaning and production. Wikipedia

I don't remember Dad ageing it but then again the bucket would disappear I know not where.  Puke

Interesting post Toots.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

After Borchester revived this memory I was prompted to look up the word Lant

Lant is aged urine. The term comes from Old English land, which referred to urine. Collected urine was put aside to ferment until used for its chemical content in many pre-industrial processes, such as cleaning and production. Wikipedia

I don't remember Dad ageing it but then again the bucket would disappear I know not where.  Puke

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 16, 2022, 02:41:31 PM
When I was working for HMRC, I was allocated a few of God's Walking Wounded and the problem was always finding them something to do. It was not so bad in the days when we had physical files and sizeable post rooms, but computerization knocked a lot of that on the head.

Maybe I should have gotten them to weed your Dad's lawn Toots :)
Would have saved me a job! Dancing Mind you  with his regime which we all obeyed, weeds barely got a look in.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 16, 2022, 01:50:38 PM
My Dad always used to collect his wee in a bucket for his lawns which he prized. He called this natural offering 'lant' I am assuming the spelling, and it's true that his lawn was the best for miles. He trained me never to walk home along the drive and around the back without crossing lawns both front and back and removing any weeds I came across on the way. My Dad was a North countryman so I don't know if it was a something peculiar to him or there. Thanks for the memory!  :-X

When I was working for HMRC, I was allocated a few of God's Walking Wounded and the problem was always finding them something to do. It was not so bad in the days when we had physical files and sizeable post rooms, but computerization knocked a lot of that on the head.

Maybe I should have gotten them to weed your Dad's lawn Toots :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 16, 2022, 01:29:02 PM
It is always someone else' fault isn't it Ollie :)
My Dad always used to collect his wee in a bucket for his lawns which he prized. He called this natural offering 'lant' I am assuming the spelling, and it's true that his lawn was the best for miles. He trained me never to walk home along the drive and around the back without crossing lawns both front and back and removing any weeds I came across on the way. My Dad was a North countryman so I don't know if it was a something peculiar to him or there. Thanks for the memory!  :-X

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 16, 2022, 12:59:35 PM
read the post
I was her manager I did not set the pay rate......comprendi.

It is always someone else' fault isn't it Ollie :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 16, 2022, 12:40:11 PM

But you on the other hand, not only pay your staff washers, you expect a days work out of them.

Sorry Ollie, but you sound like a typical Islington leftie.

read the post

QuoteCobblers you and Nick look down your beaks,I had a woman who was single trying to keep a roof on her head who worked for me,I told my bosses the rate they paid her was abysmal and shameful
I was her manager I did not set the pay rate......comprendi.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 16, 2022, 06:50:59 AM
You can't read a post,or choose not to.....a bit rich condemning others when you are a self confessed  rip off merchant being paid by hm govt (us) then avoiding doing anything productive.
And people point to a handful of people they've come across with giant tv and sky and make out they're all the same.

Please point out how a a single partly disabled woman living in a flat can grow her own food and
don't be citing allotments they cost beyond what benefits would pay,shoot or snare wild life :D she's not Davy bloody Crockett,try going out and about with a gun you'd soon have armed response on your case.

I am an elderly gentleman living off pensions and my wits, both of which are hopelessly inadequate. As far as I can see I am being paid to stay alive and vote conservative. Once again, I am happy to do both.

But you on the other hand, not only pay your staff washers, you expect a days work out of them.

Sorry Ollie, but you sound like a typical Islington leftie.

I have just had a heroic piddle into the bucket under my desk. As soon as the aspirins kick in I will take the bucket to the bathroom (it is 5 yards away and not wishing to come the old soldier, getting there is a bit painful), empty the contents into various empty Asda Apple and Blackcurrant bottles and leave them at the top of the stair.

After an hour or so I will pick up the batteries for my mobility scooter and bump myself down the stairs, load the scooter up with piddle and batteries and set off for my allotment.

There is more of this and I will be happy to discuss it. Indeed, if you care to set up a thread entitled Gardening for the Old and Crippled I will be happy to contribute. In fact, I might ask the blind lady on the neighbouring plot to contribute. Or the chap a bit further on who spends most of his time arguing with his fruit trees.

The great thing about gardening Ollie, is that anyone can do it. The sad thing is that a lot of folk who should spend their time making excuses for not doing so
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on August 16, 2022, 08:14:23 AM
It might be legal to carry an air rifle in a case but you'll still be stopped if you are out and about,take it out of its case and armed response will be on your case,duck shooting for dinner in the local park will go down like a lead balloon.

You can shoot on land with a land owners permission but there's still regulations.

How many landowners will allow unemployed shooting on their land? And btw it is illegal to shoot ducks with an air rifle.
You never read 'Danny, Champion of the World' ??

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on August 16, 2022, 08:04:55 AM
We were running a Sky TV installation operation out of Irlam, 30 plus installers doing at least 5 installs a day each. All with the same horror stories, so no, it wasn't a handful of people. Over 70% of installs went into council properties, surprising as these are the people I keep being told are the Cherub's that need help.

Firstly, it's legal to go out with an Air Rifle as long as it's in a proper case, it used be anyway, not done it for a while 😂. I'm not suggesting she turns into Ray Mears, she is one of the ones who should be helped.

Are you seriously telling me you're denying these people exist? There are more job vacancies in the U.K. than people unemployed, figures don't lie.
It might be legal to carry an air rifle in a case but you'll still be stopped if you are out and about,take it out of its case and armed response will be on your case,duck shooting for dinner in the local park will go down like a lead balloon.

You can shoot on land with a land owners permission but there's still regulations.

How many landowners will allow unemployed shooting on their land? And btw it is illegal to shoot ducks with an air rifle.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on August 16, 2022, 06:50:59 AM
You can't read a post,or choose not to.....a bit rich condemning others when you are a self confessed  rip off merchant being paid by hm govt (us) then avoiding doing anything productive.
And people point to a handful of people they've come across with giant tv and sky and make out they're all the same.

Please point out how a a single partly disabled woman living in a flat can grow her own food and
don't be citing allotments they cost beyond what benefits would pay,shoot or snare wild life :D she's not Davy bloody Crockett,try going out and about with a gun you'd soon have armed response on your case.
We were running a Sky TV installation operation out of Irlam, 30 plus installers doing at least 5 installs a day each. All with the same horror stories, so no, it wasn't a handful of people. Over 70% of installs went into council properties, surprising as these are the people I keep being told are the Cherub's that need help. 

Firstly, it's legal to go out with an Air Rifle as long as it's in a proper case, it used be anyway, not done it for a while 😂. I'm not suggesting she turns into Ray Mears, she is one of the ones who should be helped. 

Are you seriously telling me you're denying these people exist? There are more job vacancies in the U.K. than people unemployed, figures don't lie.