Main Menu

Would You

Started by cromwell, February 25, 2022, 12:28:23 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on May 03, 2022, 09:41:42 PM
Unless he does have some terminal illness and wants a very short legacy?
His kids will be proud of him , for about 202 seconds . 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 03, 2022, 07:30:48 AM
No I haven't changed my mind  either . The first person to push the button is calling game over ,I dont think even a despot like Putin would go that far .
Unless he does have some terminal illness and wants a very short legacy?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

No I haven't changed my mind  either . The first person to push the button is calling game over ,I dont think even a despot like Putin would go that far . 

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on February 27, 2022, 09:36:36 PM
First I'd want to know who was responsible for the nuclear strike. Was it Russia or was it terrorists who'd taken over and hot-wired a nuclear launch system? Or was it an accident - maybe a US missile or even one of our own. If it was a tangible enemy and we knew the strike was deliberate, then I'd be very tempted to push the button provided the strike was targeted to hit the culprits.

And by the you had arranged the group hug and blamed the CIA, the Russians would have launched the second strike
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Ok resurrecting this and haven't changed my mind,if anything more determined I would retaliate with all we've got.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on February 27, 2022, 09:36:36 PM
First I'd want to know who was responsible for the nuclear strike. Was it Russia or was it terrorists who'd taken over and hot-wired a nuclear launch system? Or was it an accident - maybe a US missile or even one of our own. If it was a tangible enemy and we knew the strike was deliberate, then I'd be very tempted to push the button provided the strike was targeted to hit the culprits.

But the point is there is no practical way you could possibly know this, and this is why they have letters in the submarines.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

First I'd want to know who was responsible for the nuclear strike. Was it Russia or was it terrorists who'd taken over and hot-wired a nuclear launch system? Or was it an accident - maybe a US missile or even one of our own. If it was a tangible enemy and we knew the strike was deliberate, then I'd be very tempted to push the button provided the strike was targeted to hit the culprits.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on February 27, 2022, 08:10:33 AM
It is a dilemma. Would  I retaliate? Prtoblem is, those in Russia who nuked us would be safe in their nuclear bunkers, whilst millions of ordinary Russians, the vast majority of whom would have been utterly appalled at nukes being chucked around and would be largely innocent would be the victims of retaliation. Yet we would need them alive to get rid of the monsters who nuked us in the first place and deal with them accordingly.

So the moral dimensions to such a question are complex. Certainly, if retaliation could knock out some of their still unfired nukes and prevent further millions of our own citizens from being killed I would have no choice but to press the button. But otherwise my preferred option would be a demand that Russia hand over it's leaders to us immediately so we can deal with them ourselves, or else face nuclear retaliation. This would focus minds in Russia. And if they were not handed over I would press the button. This would give innocent Russians in their millions the chance to do the right thing. In the meantime I would keep our missiles primed to fire at a moment's notice and at the slightest sign of anything else incoming I would press the button.

If the Russians themselves did overthrow their leadership and hand them over to us, it would be a necessary requirement for any new Russian regime to pay massive reparations. And though I oppose the death penalty, I doubt that any government could resist the public pressure for it to be meted out to anyone responsible for nuking us.

Yet the problem is a simple one. In his unleashing if chemical weapons against the occupants of a theatre complex to kill the Chechen separatists terrorists who were holding Russian citizens hostage to their terrorist demands, Putin demonstrated he was in no doubt whatsoever the deaths of "his own" citizens at his hand was a perfectly acceptable price to pay to quell aggressive hostile action.

When your enemy has no problem killing his own as collateral damage, dilemmas that we will do likewise really have little place in the decision....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

It is a dilemma. Would  I retaliate? Prtoblem is, those in Russia who nuked us would be safe in their nuclear bunkers, whilst millions of ordinary Russians, the vast majority of whom would have been utterly appalled at nukes being chucked around and would be largely innocent would be the victims of retaliation. Yet we would need them alive to get rid of the monsters who nuked us in the first place and deal with them accordingly.

So the moral dimensions to such a question are complex. Certainly, if retaliation could knock out some of their still unfired nukes and prevent further millions of our own citizens from being killed I would have no choice but to press the button. But otherwise my preferred option would be a demand that Russia hand over it's leaders to us immediately so we can deal with them ourselves, or else face nuclear retaliation. This would focus minds in Russia. And if they were not handed over I would press the button. This would give innocent Russians in their millions the chance to do the right thing. In the meantime I would keep our missiles primed to fire at a moment's notice and at the slightest sign of anything else incoming I would press the button.

If the Russians themselves did overthrow their leadership and hand them over to us, it would be a necessary requirement for any new Russian regime to pay massive reparations. And though I oppose the death penalty, I doubt that any government could resist the public pressure for it to be meted out to anyone responsible for nuking us.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 25, 2022, 11:30:13 AM
That's unfortunately what Putin thinks

Yeah, but Putin is a bit weird. There he is, 70 years old and swanning around, bare arsed and on horse back like an acne ridden fourteen year old on the pull. He isn't involved in this Ukrainian nonsense is he?
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 25, 2022, 07:56:44 AM
As soon as the fireworks begin we are all fecked anyway so it would be rude not to contribute . 
Yes. Just in case our lot survive we need to kill the enemy.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 25, 2022, 10:50:55 AM
Me too.

I am the kindest of men, but if I have to go I want to take someone with me
That's unfortunately what Putin thinks 

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 25, 2022, 12:28:23 AM
Given where we are today and a tv prog a while ago all professional people and the UK is hit with a nuclear strike would you push the button for a retaliatory strike.

There was a great deal of discussion,soul searching and the morality and to a man and woman they all said no they wouldn't.

In a hearbeat yes I would,and you?

Me too.

I am the kindest of men, but if I have to go I want to take someone with me
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on February 25, 2022, 08:30:37 AM
Well mate , the nukes are sitting thirty miles north west of glasgow , so if putin decides to fire one off our way , we all go down with the huns .

I think personally he should target those sheep shagging barstewards at pittodrie.

Fack me gazza has just turned up at ibrox with a chicken leg and a bottle of newcastle brown ale to defend the copland road.
:):D;D

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 25, 2022, 08:22:58 AM
;D

Good thinking , you hide in Celtic Park and I'll get myself over to the  Fulham road . Should avoid a direct hit anyway
Well mate , the nukes are sitting thirty miles north west of glasgow , so if putin decides to fire one off our way , we all go down with the huns .

I think personally he should target those sheep shagging barstewards at pittodrie.

Fack me gazza has just turned up at ibrox with a chicken leg and a bottle of newcastle brown ale to defend the copland road.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!