One for the girls

Started by T00ts, July 27, 2022, 10:04:18 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 31, 2022, 09:22:04 AM
Thank you.

I'll keep an eye out on the Facebook pages around tea time.

I'm sure my youngest will be rubbing her future husband face in it if they win !
Well boys! That's the way to do it! 

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2022, 11:38:26 AM
The final has not been played yet. Not sure when it is. They are playing Germany in the final, reckoned to be the best women's football team in Europe. So they have their work cut out.
Thank you.

I'll keep an eye out on the Facebook pages around tea time.

I'm sure my youngest will be rubbing her future husband face in it if they win !
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2022, 04:28:31 PM
After church, I expect. ;D
Are they that much in need of assistance ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2022, 04:28:31 PM
After church, I expect. ;D
No doubt. I confess that sport is a no no for me on Sundays. It's the Lord's day not just a day of rest and I don't think anyone should be expected to work that day.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on July 28, 2022, 12:42:08 PM
I believe the final is on Sunday.
After church, I expect. ;D
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 28, 2022, 11:38:26 AM
The final has not been played yet. Not sure when it is. They are playing Germany in the final, reckoned to be the best women's football team in Europe. So they have their work cut out.
I believe the final is on Sunday.

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 28, 2022, 07:55:04 AMHave they played the final yet ? I'm that disinterested I actually don't know when it is / was.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on July 27, 2022, 10:04:18 AM
I confess to not being into girls football, although I have a grand-daughter who loves it. I saw a little bit of last night's match but I worry about them getting hurt so turned away a bit of a wimp. Having said that what a great achievement thus far. Will they win it?
Haven't watched any of it, for the simple reason that particular ball game does nothing for me, regardless of who is playing it.

Given the amount of utter hysteria being poured into the coverage, I imagine they will lose 2-0 in extra time in the final. It wouldn't be an English football team if they didn't.

Ah. Just realised

Have they played the final yet ? I'm that disinterested I actually don't know when it is / was.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 27, 2022, 01:13:07 PM
I don't think you can compare in any way other than it passes with the same name and rules. There is a lack of power in the whole action of the game, and although they may try to look as though they are playing the same it is a very sanitised and almost dainty in comparison. Not that I mind of course but the hype shown I find quite off-putting. Girls are inevitably gentler with themselves and each other so perhaps it should not be held up in straight comparison to the boys. Of course that is not even remotely PC.
Try looking at women's MMA, or a couple of Nicola Adams' contests and I think you might change your opinion...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 01:17:05 PM
Just had a random thought. If women played against men, the men's tendency to dive to the floor reeling in faux agony at the slightest touch from an opponent, in this case a woman, would certainly make him look rather pathetic.
Perhaps a case for mixed teams — though these days it might be difficult to actually assign who's what, and can do which with whom...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 01:13:16 PM
Yes, just played by young people.

To say that a sport is a different sport because it is being played by women actually smacks of the kind of sexism that used to be rife in football.
So when you say the men haven't won anything since 1966 you would be wrong . England have won numerous championships at different age levels through the years . Not that I would compare their achievements with the senior squad of course and nor should anyone banging on about womens football  do either . 
Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 01:17:05 PM
Just had a random thought. If women played against men, the men's tendency to dive to the floor reeling in faux agony at the slightest touch from an opponent, in this case a woman, would certainly make him look rather pathetic.
They wouldnt get anywhere near them 
Here's a clip from the Palace Ladies V the Palace groundstaff , thats the guys who cut the grass 
the reality of men vs women's football - YouTube

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 27, 2022, 01:06:18 PM
Would you say Youth football was the same sport ?
Yes, just played by young people.

To say that a sport is a different sport because it is being played by women actually smacks of the kind of sexism that used to be rife in football.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 12:51:11 PM
Actually, it is. Same pitch, same rules, same duration of play.

It is only the anatomy of the players that is different. That in no way constitutes a different sport.
I don't think you can compare in any way other than it passes with the same name and rules. There is a lack of power in the whole action of the game, and although they may try to look as though they are playing the same it is a very sanitised and almost dainty in comparison. Not that I mind of course but the hype shown I find quite off-putting. Girls are inevitably gentler with themselves and each other so perhaps it should not be held up in straight comparison to the boys. Of course that is not even remotely PC.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 27, 2022, 12:51:11 PM
Actually, it is. Same pitch, same rules, same duration of play.

It is only the anatomy of the players that is different. That in no way constitutes a different sport.
Would you say Youth football was the same sport ?