So it's Truss

Started by T00ts, September 05, 2022, 02:10:51 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2022, 03:05:39 PM
Well the immediate problems of massive fuel bills next month has been averted . Yes we are going to be paying more but not that much more thats going to break peoples finances .  I can see the reasons that windfall taxes have been rejected and the long term benefits that could bring . But could bring has to be will bring along with the future growth related taxes .

Windfall taxes are a temporary plaster that dont take a lot of thought ,having a plan that helps people now , encourages investment and wealth for the future not to mention energy security gets my approval , lets see how it goes .
What you talking about? Under Labour the cap would be lower and borrowing would be LESS! It is fine that Truss has limited the October increase but it hasn't been halted and people were already complaining about their bills... which now will be increasing.

And no, a windfall tax isn't a sticky plaster. It is a solution UNTIL you have found alternative fuel sources or increased production of North Sea Oil, fracking whatever... or... heaven forbid, enact more green energy. A windfall tax would only be for this year and maybe next. If we can't find a substitute for Russian gas in two years then we never will. Also BP said they will invest in North Sea Oil whatever. They just threw away a ton of investment in Russia at a cheap price and now have nowhere else to invest in. Stop being a f**king Tory and acknowledge that on the cost of living crisis, Labour have a significantly better plan than the Conservatives.

Streetwalker

Quote from: B0ycey on September 08, 2022, 01:27:39 PM
Meh, I think Starmer did better by just asking a very simple but serious question. Why the f**k are we borrowing when we could just get those who are profiting from this to pay more tax. And no, tax breaks for the rich is still f**king bonkers. You can polish a turd as much as you like, it still will stink of shit.
Well the immediate problems of massive fuel bills next month has been averted . Yes we are going to be paying more but not that much more thats going to break peoples finances .  I can see the reasons that windfall taxes have been rejected and the long term benefits that could bring . But could bring has to be will bring along with the future growth related taxes .

Windfall taxes are a temporary plaster that dont take a lot of thought ,having a plan that helps people now , encourages investment and wealth for the future not to mention energy security gets my approval , lets see how it goes . 

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on September 08, 2022, 09:25:21 AM
Well it seems Truss had a good first day. Parliament rocked as she routed Starmer at PMQs and she was neat, tidy and business like and clear in her answers. By all accounts making Labour look dowdy and fusty. More than that she has told No10 to get their act together, find their ties and dress in a business like manner. No more open neck shirts and general dishevelment. A good start. Now she needs to have a very hard look at the Civil Servants who are apparently thwarting Government policies. It is important for all MPs to know that their backroom boys are servants to us the electorate not their own ideals.

Oh yes - I can hear the detractors carping that looks mean nothing but looks are first impressions and you only get one of those.

One side of Parliament rocked, just as it invariably did in Boris,s defence of the indefensible. Labour asked some very pertinent questions, without being or looking dowdy, as Truss herself came across ,not for the first as a tired and slightly pushed head mistress doing her best to enforce something only the teachers agreed with.
Truss,s policy of not touching the excess profits , and then giving the same people and others of a similar ilk a tax break will go down like a lead balloon when people continue to pay through the nose for this winters energy bills.
What government policies are being thwarted?  It's always someone else's fault. Twelve years and every single year of under achievement , has been someone else's fault.
We all knew what we get with Truss, she would need a ring of fairy lights wrapped around her to just lighten up.

B0ycey

Well it seems Truss had a good first day. Parliament rocked as she routed Starmer at PMQs and she was neat, tidy and business like and clear in her answers. By all accounts making Labour look dowdy and fusty. More than that she has told No10 to get their act together, find their ties and dress in a business like manner. No more open neck shirts and general dishevelment. A good start. Now she needs to have a very hard look at the Civil Servants who are apparently thwarting Government policies. It is important for all MPs to know that their backroom boys are servants to us the electorate not their own ideals.

Oh yes - I can hear the detractors carping that looks mean nothing but looks are first impressions and you only get one of those.

Meh, I think Starmer did better by just asking a very simple but serious question. Why the F@@@ are we borrowing when we could just get those who are profiting from this to pay more tax. And no, tax breaks for the rich is still fucking bonkers. You can polish a turd as much as you like, it still will stink of shit.

HallowedBrexit

Did you see how Starmer squirmed when Iron Liz Truss called him out? This will be the downfall of the Labour party.
Union Flag

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on September 08, 2022, 11:35:33 AM
I remember reading a few years back a bloke persuaded everybody in the road he lived in to buy their energy as a block from one provider,their rates were considerably better than as individuals.

Obviously not a solution to our present problem but it would be a start that could be developed further not just as an energy purchaser but provider.
We did that as an estate here .........and the company we were with was one of those that went bust .I was paying under £90 month for duel fuel . Was put with the frogs , sorry EDF  and it Jumped to £180 , they said last week its now £320 with more to come in the new year 

Glad Truss has just stepped in with a £2500 cap  at that rate I would have had to cut down on the beer ;)

cromwell

I remember reading a few years back a bloke persuaded everybody in the road he lived in to buy their energy as a block from one provider,their rates were considerably better than as individuals.

Obviously not a solution to our present problem but it would be a start that could be developed further not just as an energy purchaser but provider.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on September 08, 2022, 10:37:05 AM
I am thinking you might come up against a lot of problems from the Westminster party over that.
There we can agree.
But  Everest is easier to climb, than to bulldoze flat.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on September 08, 2022, 10:33:08 AM
I would nationalise charity, and then abandon the word. And replace it with a ministry for the welfare of all in need.

I am thinking you might come up against a lot of problems from the Westminster party over that.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on September 08, 2022, 10:19:18 AM
All I asked as you think these are everyone's problems, is how you would change it and fix the problems you see?

I would nationalise charity, and then abandon the word. And replace it with a ministry for the welfare of all in need.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on September 08, 2022, 10:00:35 AM
Did I say charity was wasn't a global business?  The theme of the post was the effects of profit .
Charity is like the pure democracy your always promoting, it's easily corrupted.
As for Labour, have I ever said they fit your ideas of political purity?
All I asked as you think these are everyone's problems, is how you would change it and fix the problems you see?

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on September 08, 2022, 09:52:37 AM
So how are you going to change charity so it is no longer a global corporate business model? When Labour are as deeply entrenched in it as the rest of the Westminster party?

Did I say charity was wasn't a global business?  The theme of the post was the effects of profit .
Charity is like the pure democracy your always promoting, it's easily corrupted.
As for Labour, have I ever said they fit your ideas of political purity?

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on September 08, 2022, 09:48:16 AM
Profit shouldn't be a dirty word, but it is because all to often the benefits of that profit are to the benefit of a very small percentage of people.
The trickle down theory is inadequate , the trickle is just that. The reality is a flow out of doors  to the side ,and top that lead everywhere but down.
Maybe with the right will, which I don't think exists in most Tories, the Co-operative idea could benefit society right now and in the near future. As things stand  the modern soup kitchen , that are food banks, is more their cup of tea. Any sort of co-operation outside of the Tory party frightens them.
As things stand with energy costs it will be hard to establish any sort of , Co-operative, mutual, or charity.
So how are you going to change charity so it is no longer a global corporate business model? When Labour are as deeply entrenched in it as the rest of the Westminster party?

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on September 07, 2022, 10:54:20 AM
I regret how the mutuals were sold off and they're still trying it today with the few left over,profit is not a dirty word if it's earned legally and dues paid.

I don't know why the mutual idea and cooperatives can't be updated.

Profit shouldn't be a dirty word, but it is because all to often the benefits of that profit are to the benefit of a very small percentage of people.
The trickle down theory is inadequate , the trickle is just that. The reality is a flow out of doors  to the side ,and top that lead everywhere but down.
Maybe with the right will, which I don't think exists in most Tories, the Co-operative idea could benefit society right now and in the near future. As things stand  the modern soup kitchen , that are food banks, is more their cup of tea. Any sort of co-operation outside of the Tory party frightens them.
As things stand with energy costs it will be hard to establish any sort of , Co-operative, mutual, or charity. 

Sheepy

It's just the Westminster party pantomime, hiss boo.