Blanket coverage

Started by srb7677, September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 11, 2022, 09:03:18 AM
How very wrong you all are. Was 48 hours really too much for you to bear? Already they are steadily returning a bit more to normal but they are reading the national mood and why shouldn't they? Republican you might be but my goodness you are a miserable lot and you aren't even in mourning!
The queen's death is a sad thing of course it is. No one here is celebrating it. It is especially sad of course for her nearest and dearest.

But I personally never met her and did not know her, so am not going to be told how to feel by you or anyone else. I am all in favour of those many wishing to mourn being able to do so. But I am not experiencing her death as any kind of personal loss as I would with someone I knew personally. Pretending to feel something I don't would be hypocritical in the extreme.

But I am not going to attack or criticise those who feel differently, and who feel this as some kind of terrible personal loss. By all means mourn. I am not going to tell you how to feel. Please don't tell me how I should feel in return though.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2022, 08:07:03 PM
I retract all comments made regarding blanket coverage,summer is over itv has returned to its normal schedule and on offer is the mind numbing masked W@nker. Rant

Much the same thing, all jockeying for position while you have to guess who they really are. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Well the coverage is not quite so blanket as it was. When I switched on TV last night, of the 5 terrestrial channels, only one was running a documentary about the queen. The other 4 were running their normal programs. It being Saturday night though, they were all shite.

But it is still impossible to get any news on TV anywhere. The Ukraine has stopped being reported. The cost of living crisis has stopped being reported. There is no news about anything except the queen. This is overkill. And some of it still looks a lot like mawkish padding.

By all means make the queens death the headline issue, and spend time on it. But let's hear some other news too.

I have stopped watching TV news or listening to radio news, and am having to rely on the internet, which is less than wholly reliable.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 10:13:16 PM
Me too actually. They are almost embarrassed to admit to finding it all a bit excessive, slightly ashamed to admit it even. But quietly some of them do agree it is all a bit much.

I am bored rigid by it all, watching them trying to make everything about themselves.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 10, 2022, 09:38:23 AMI have to say though, this is the news, and should be aired. 
I agree. I want everything genuinely newsworthy to be aired relating to all this. But the blanket nature of it all allowing no room for other news at all is a bit excessive. Likewise, some of the mawkish drivel which isn't really news at all, and would be better suited to documentaries and tribute programs

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2022, 10:06:43 AMI have heard more than a fair few non republicans saying similar.
Me too actually. They are almost embarrassed to admit to finding it all a bit excessive, slightly ashamed to admit it even. But quietly some of them do agree it is all a bit much.

cromwell

I retract all comments made regarding blanket coverage,summer is over itv has returned to its normal schedule and on offer is the mind numbing masked wanker. Rant
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2022, 12:03:59 PM
The blanket coverage is essential. We haven't seen this process before. To be able to see who was there and who was chatting to whom was quite revealing. eg Blair in deep with Starmer. Brown with Boris. Cameron with May - all on the front row. I saw Peter Mandelson further back.

Dismiss if you will but the protocols are firmly entrenched and it has given us a continuity that would be lost if Republicans had their way.

Well, why didn't you say so, if only we had known the Westminster party are all in it together, the Queen dying wouldn't have been needed for pointing it out. No wonder she kept her own counsel so often.

patman post

My Mum cried at the news of the Queen's death.
And I feel sad...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2022, 01:11:55 PM
Bit off topic but as it happens the Ukranians appear to have taken a large slice of territory back,will it last? Don't know but let's hope peace prevails eventually.

Amen to peace in Ukraine. But not totally off topic, as Borkies ignorance of the news you pass on , may be due to the blanket coverage making these details harder to come by.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on September 10, 2022, 12:33:52 PM
Steve has a point.

Mourning goes on until everyone is heartily sick of the whole business. I don't think we have reached that point yet and probably won't for a week or two. The grandson went down to Buckingham Palace and remarked upon the crowds outside, whereupon I suggested that maybe they were waiting for the Queen to come out and wave. We had a good chuckle at that but the massed ranks of leftie lesidom gave us a right earful.

As said, I expect this business will go on for a bit. And as to other news, is there any? Even the Russians and Ukrainians appear to have stopped killing each other.

Meanwhile, things are pretty quiet
Bit off topic but as it happens the Ukranians appear to have taken a large slice of territory back,will it last? Don't know but let's hope peace prevails eventually.

Good old

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM
Well someone needs to say this.

Whilst the death of an old lady who happens to be loved and respected by millions is all very sad, with many newsworthy  aspects that need to be reported, is not the blanket coverage of this issue to the detriment of everything else of any importance a bit excessive? Some of it seems excessively mawkish and/or sycophantic to me. I tuned into Channel 4 news yesterday because I genuinely wanted to hear the now King Charles III speak. But all I got was ten minutes of chat about paintings and photographs of the queen with no end in sight when I gave up and switched off. This over the top mawkish saturation coverage risks drowning out news of importance, including events that transpire from the queen's death. I never did get to hear King Charles speak and may have to seek it out on youtube or something. To get any news at all from the actual news is very difficult right now as genuine nuggets are being buried in a sea of overly sentimental padding.

Increasingly as the days go by this is going to start boring or annoying ever more people and we are going to hear growing noises of complaint. This of course will simply enrage ardent royalists for whom no detail is too minor to be big news and no amount of coverage can be too much. In short it will divide rather than unite the nation. Few of those who are finding the coverage excessive are prepared to say so openly yet out of respect, and I will probably be criticised for doing so here. But the patience of millions is starting to be sorely tested.

Yes, I want to hear about it. I want it in the news. There are many things we all need to know. But right now the real news is drowning in a sea of mawkish drivel

I don't see how this  should be thought disrespectful. In general it asks a number of very relevant questions, and prompts the asking of more. I am Royalist, but I don't see the blanket coverage as to everyone's taste. I do agree it may harden attitudes in either direction. It does blank out to a large degree other very important news, and by doing so reduce the gravity in that other news.
Why for so many Republicanism is only seen in the left wing ,I don't know. The vast majority of all serious threats and aggressive action against the English/British crown in history has been conducted by people not in the least left wing., And republicanism to this day is in the right wing as in the left.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM
Well someone needs to say this.

Whilst the death of an old lady who happens to be loved and respected by millions is all very sad, with many newsworthy  aspects that need to be reported, is not the blanket coverage of this issue to the detriment of everything else of any importance a bit excessive? Some of it seems excessively mawkish and/or sycophantic to me. I tuned into Channel 4 news yesterday because I genuinely wanted to hear the now King Charles III speak. But all I got was ten minutes of chat about paintings and photographs of the queen with no end in sight when I gave up and switched off. This over the top mawkish saturation coverage risks drowning out news of importance, including events that transpire from the queen's death. I never did get to hear King Charles speak and may have to seek it out on youtube or something. To get any news at all from the actual news is very difficult right now as genuine nuggets are being buried in a sea of overly sentimental padding.

Increasingly as the days go by this is going to start boring or annoying ever more people and we are going to hear growing noises of complaint. This of course will simply enrage ardent royalists for whom no detail is too minor to be big news and no amount of coverage can be too much. In short it will divide rather than unite the nation. Few of those who are finding the coverage excessive are prepared to say so openly yet out of respect, and I will probably be criticised for doing so here. But the patience of millions is starting to be sorely tested.

Yes, I want to hear about it. I want it in the news. There are many things we all need to know. But right now the real news is drowning in a sea of mawkish drivel

Steve has a point.

Mourning goes on until everyone is heartily sick of the whole business. I don't think we have reached that point yet and probably won't for a week or two. The grandson went down to Buckingham Palace and remarked upon the crowds outside, whereupon I suggested that maybe they were waiting for the Queen to come out and wave. We had a good chuckle at that but the massed ranks of leftie lesidom gave us a right earful.

As said, I expect this business will go on for a bit. And as to other news, is there any? Even the Russians and Ukrainians appear to have stopped killing each other.

Meanwhile, things are pretty quiet
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 10, 2022, 12:17:08 PM
Well, no one is forced to watch or listen to any of it. Are people really so stuck to TV and radio that they can't do something else?
Anyway, I've got some sea glass to drill and I'll have GB News radio on in the background.
No they're not but they are of course entitled to comment.

Funnily enough your comment re GB news I forgot to post on its first birthday how predictions of its early demise proved so wrong.

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2022, 10:06:43 AM
Don't see him actually doing that,he hasn't criticised her but has made a valid point.

I have heard more than a fair few non republicans saying similar.
Well, no one is forced to watch or listen to any of it. Are people really so stuck to TV and radio that they can't do something else?
Anyway, I've got some sea glass to drill and I'll have GB News radio on in the background.
† The end is nigh †