Where have all the skilled tradesmen gone.

Started by papasmurf, September 14, 2022, 01:22:43 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 18, 2022, 01:53:17 PM
Tradespeople were finnished  when they brought in NVQ's instead of apprenticships .

By the way a person  who screws a dish to the wall isn't a tradesman he's a bloke with screwdriver and a compass

Tradesmen were finished when Youtube appeared.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Tradespeople were finnished  when they brought in NVQ's instead of apprenticships .

By the way a person  who screws a dish to the wall isn't a tradesman he's a bloke with screwdriver and a compass 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2022, 11:31:54 AM
NO ITS NOT. It's at 32.3 degrees, Syracuse is 0 degrees and above the horizon.
Strangely enough, all the satellites you want are at 32.3 degrees, and that's why your motorised dish works 🙄

Satellite Data
Name: 0E SYRACUSE 3A
Distance: 38409km

Dish Setup Data
Elevation:  32.3°
Azimuth (true):  173.1°
Azimuth (magn.):  174.2°
LNB Skew [?]:  -4.4°

It is NOT above the horizon where I live. Just give it a rest.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 10:54:17 AM
I never stated it was, the satellite at true South is below the horizon due to my location, and that information is from the supplier of the kit.
Nick do stop trying to lecture me please. The nearest I can use, Thor, as a setting point is at 0.7 degrees West of true South.
I am replacing kit that I successfully installed myself a long time ago.  I have not had to fit a new wall mount I can utilise the old one.  I don't need your (expletive deleted,) preaching at me.)
NO ITS NOT. It's at 32.3 degrees, Syracuse is 0 degrees and above the horizon.
Strangely enough, all the satellites you want are at 32.3 degrees, and that's why your motorised dish works 🙄 

Satellite Data
Name: 0E SYRACUSE 3A
Distance: 38409km

Dish Setup Data
Elevation:  32.3°
Azimuth (true):  173.1°
Azimuth (magn.):  174.2°
LNB Skew [?]:  -4.4°
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2022, 10:43:24 AM
The fact you think that Intelsat is below the horizon shows you clearly don't know what you're doing. What you actually mean is you've read my info and maybe now understand it. 🤔
I never stated it was, the satellite at true South is below the horizon due to my location, and that information is from the supplier of the kit.
Nick do stop trying to lecture me please. The nearest I can use, Thor, as a setting point is at 0.7 degrees West of true South.
I am replacing kit that I successfully installed myself a long time ago.  I have not had to fit a new wall mount I can utilise the old one.  I don't need your (expletive deleted,) preaching at me.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 08:49:35 AM
Nick I have all the data I need thank you very much. Because of filthy capitalism the website that used to be free for simply finding true South from my location by putting an indicator line on a Google Earth picture now charges, so I have a military compass on order.
Once I have that the rest is simple. I don't need a lecture.
The fact you think that Intelsat is below the horizon shows you clearly don't know what you're doing. What you actually mean is you've read my info and maybe now understand it. 🤔 

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on September 18, 2022, 09:48:49 AM
Simple fact of the matter is, we don't create enough of them, when we told the Tories 12 years ago this was a crisis in waiting, so they should create apprenticeships, but in their usual form of wisdom, they decided everybody was a computer genius or a member of McDonalds staff. So, nobody now believes in getting their hands dirty.  Another idea stolen with their own twist on it that has gone bottom up.
I finished my engineering apprenticeship back in 1970, shortly after that the apprentice school in the factory closed.
The government training schools paid for by industry levies were privatised by Thatcher in the 1980s and mostly shut down within a few years. Meaningful training and certification are now expensive, prohibitively so for private individuals.
I also wonder where and if the proliferation of immigrant trades people got certification as soon as they set foot in Britain.

Sheepy

Simple fact of the matter is, we don't create enough of them, when we told the Tories 12 years ago this was a crisis in waiting, so they should create apprenticeships, but in their usual form of wisdom, they decided everybody was a computer genius or a member of McDonalds staff. So, nobody now believes in getting their hands dirty.  Another idea stolen with their own twist on it that has gone bottom up.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 18, 2022, 09:30:22 AM
Eh? So buying a military compass is not filthy capitalism.

And once used stuck in a draw,unless of course .........?
I need a compass anyway. My old one "died."

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 08:49:35 AM
Nick I have all the data I need thank you very much. Because of filthy capitalism the website that used to be free for simply finding true South from my location by putting an indicator line on a Google Earth picture now charges, so I have a military compass on order.
Eh? So buying a military compass is not filthy capitalism.

And once used stuck in a draw,unless of course .........?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 18, 2022, 08:31:56 AM
Nope, intelsat at 0.8 degrees from your location is at 32.4 degrees, you're looking at satellites at 180 degrees, you should be using zero degrees as they are calculated east or west from due south.

Name: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6 | THOR 7
Distance: 38404km

Dish Setup Data
Elevation:  32.4°
Azimuth (true):  174.1°
Azimuth (magn.):  175.2°
LNB Skew [?]:  -3.8°

Nick I have all the data I need thank you very much. Because of filthy capitalism the website that used to be free for simply finding true South from my location by putting an indicator line on a Google Earth picture now charges, so I have a military compass on order.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 07:31:17 PM
It isn't. (One complication where I live is the satellite at Zero South is below the horizon and cannot be used as the setting point.) I have to use a satellite as close to Zero South as I can and compensate by adding the declination to that satellite's position and making sure to adjust the scale on the satellite to compensate.
Nope, intelsat at 0.8 degrees from your location is at 32.4 degrees, you're looking at satellites at 180 degrees, you should be using zero degrees as they are calculated east or west from due south. 

Name: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6 | THOR 7
Distance: 38404km

Dish Setup Data
Elevation:  32.4°
Azimuth (true):  174.1°
Azimuth (magn.):  175.2°
LNB Skew [?]:  -3.8° 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 06:23:42 PM
It doesn't matter which satellites it looks at, the installation is the same.
It isn't. (One complication where I live is the satellite at Zero South is below the horizon and cannot be used as the setting point.) I have to use a satellite as close to Zero South as I can and compensate by adding the declination to that satellite's position and making sure to adjust the scale on the satellite to compensate.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 05:12:23 PM
It is a motorised system NOT Sky.
It doesn't matter which satellites it looks at, the installation is the same. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 04:15:48 PM
I ran a Sky franchise out of Irlam in the late 1980's and did a few motorised systems. If it's on a pole it must be exactly vertical, wall mount should be south facing. Get your peak signal at as close to 180 degrees as possible (Intelsat) and then adjust your angles.
It is a motorised system NOT Sky.