Brexit. Good or bad?

Started by srb7677, September 17, 2022, 07:19:18 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 17, 2022, 12:52:57 PM
So far, it's been an overwhelming success.

You are seriously deluded. Brexit is a disaster that is getting worse as time passes. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

So far, it's been an overwhelming success.

Several Fish&Chips shops have started wrapping their food in newspaper again
New Zealandish butter has returned to our supermarkets
Immigration from Europe has been curbed
We have been blessed with a new Iron Lady, our beloved Liz Truss
Boris destroyed Brussels with the vaccine rollout
The Five Eyes Alliance has been strengthened
Brussels has been forced to cave on the NI protocol
Britain has obliterated France economically

The real price is only a few years of, as Lord Daniel Hannan has written in my favourite Brexit piece:

It's 24 June, 2025, and Britain is marking its annual Independence Day celebration. As the fireworks stream through the summer sky, still not quite dark, we wonder why it took us so long to leave. The years that followed the 2016 referendum didn't just reinvigorate our economy, our democracy and our liberty. They improved relations with our neighbours.

The United Kingdom is now the region's foremost knowledge-based economy. We lead the world in biotech, law, education, the audio-visual sector, financial services and software. New industries, from 3D printing to driverless cars, have sprung up around the country. Older industries, too, have revived as energy prices have fallen back to global levels: steel, cement, paper, plastics and ceramics producers have become competitive again.

https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/

Barry

"Bexit" has divorced us from Brussels rule, so that is good.

We still need to disengage the 2.9% by moving the trade border to the UK / Eire border where it should be. We also need to be more robust against the Borg.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 11:48:06 AM
I've already told you lack of workers is not down to Brexit.
Yes, it is down to Brexit. No other country has the same level of problem.  From crop pickers and processing to abattoir workers and meat processors, to truck drivers the shortages are due to Brexit.
Also, the NHS and care workers.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 11:31:09 AM
Easily, because of extra costs due to Brexit being put on exporting to the EU a lot of small business have stopped doing so.
Crops are rotting in the fields, because of insufficient permits being issued for the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme.
Also, Truss has sold out British farming with foreign trade deals. Although the damage is five years down the road it will still effect British farming badly.
The bivalve mollusc exporting to the EU problem has not been solved.
Other Brexit problems are causing serious problems with the fishing industry.
The passporting of financial transactions to the EU problem, has not been addressed fully.
The Northern Ireland problem has not been addressed.
That is not a comprehensive list.
It is dog's Brexit as I knew it would be under the Tories.
I've already told you lack of workers is not down to Brexit. 
Schiphol airport, which is one of the biggest hubs in Europe has closed runways due to lack of workers. https://www.klm.com
The EU is suffering from a lack of HGV drivers, the USA has a massive shortage of waiters and bar staff. The German guys I am working with atm say that their country is going down the toilet, and inflation is rocketing everywhere: Argentina is above 70%. 
As for fishing, the EU has a shortage of fish because of the French playing silly beggers and refusing to cooperate. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 10:53:37 AM
If it's been obscured then how can you separate it from Covid?
Easily, because of extra costs due to Brexit being put on exporting to the EU a lot of small business have stopped doing so.
Crops are rotting in the fields, because of insufficient permits being issued for the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme.
Also, Truss has sold out British farming with foreign trade deals. Although the damage is five years down the road it will still effect British farming badly.
The bivalve mollusc exporting to the EU problem has not been solved.
Other Brexit problems are causing serious problems with the fishing industry.
The passporting of financial transactions to the EU problem, has not been addressed fully.
The Northern Ireland problem has not been addressed.
That is not a comprehensive list.
It is dog's Brexit as I knew it would be under the Tories.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 10:48:43 AM
Really?  It has been a disaster where I live, all that Covid has done is obscure the problems Brexit has caused, and those problems are getting worse.
If it's been obscured then how can you separate it from Covid?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2022, 10:45:55 AM
I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about Brexit, 
Really?  It has been a disaster where I live, all that Covid has done is obscure the problems Brexit has caused, and those problems are getting worse.

Nick

I don't see how anyone can say anything bad about Brexit, we've had 2 years of Covid and then into a war. All the issues we are seeing in the U.K. I've seen all around the world. Staff and HGV drivers are in short supply almost everywhere. There were massive holdups at Calais last month due to lack of people and I've yet to see anything that I can attribute to Brexit. 

Nalaar

The short term has been pretty awful.
I am not optimistic that Brexit will be viewed positively in the coming decades.
Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 17, 2022, 08:47:01 AM
I think it has been where most people live - and predictably so - though for true believers for whom this is almost a religion, I Am sure it looks wonderful as it has to for them.
This was never about wonderful,it was about not having the political project,haven't we enough pillocks at westminster.

Said it more than once and will keep repeating it
The common market was a great idea.....the political project wasn't.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Brexit was revolutionary, through the power of referendum, but as we said all along the Westminster party would make a hash of it backed by remain. Never were there a more sure-fire thing, firstly they could say referendums were a bad idea because they always know best and secondly remain would be easily motivated by every bad decision while the EU played to them at every opportunity. Never considering why there was a larger leave vote in the first place.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2022, 08:43:39 AM
Where I live Brexit has been a complete total and utter disaster.
I think it has been where most people live - and predictably so - though for true believers for whom this is almost a religion, I Am sure it looks wonderful as it has to for them.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 17, 2022, 07:19:18 AM
Well, what's your verdict on Brexit so far?
Where I live Brexit has been a complete total and utter disaster.

srb7677

Well, what's your verdict on Brexit so far?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.