How disappointing

Started by T00ts, October 03, 2022, 01:34:45 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 02:58:51 PM
What a ridiculous comment.
Perhaps more accurate to say that the Left rank and file prefer levelling down, to ensuring there's opportunity for everyone, because it's less difficult...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 02:58:51 PM

And you are a boring little troll, but I am too polite to say so.
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2022, 02:51:28 PM
No, I mean that the left don't want a better life so much as to see everyone else worse off than they are.
Conjecture as I have never seen it before. I expect most people want everyone to be better off and those who don't are usually the greedy 1%. Levelling up was a Tory manifesto pledge in any case and Truss was basically throwing that in the bin with her unfair tax system. As I said just, the reason for the uturn has nothing to do with Labour given the Tories would hate to throw them a bone like this. It has nothing to do with the Left who the Tories again wouldn't have wanted to throw a bone to. It is due to by and large Tory voters who were going to see their pensions lose value and mortgages increase and were moving their vote to Labour.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2022, 02:51:28 PM
No, I mean that the left don't want a better life so much as to see everyone else worse off than they are.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 02:44:43 PM
You mean they should be happy the Rich are even richer?

Perhaps the electorate might just want things to be fairer than they were. We are meant to be in this together, but that is a hard sell when the rich were handed a bonanza and the workers and pensioners a back hander.

Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2022, 01:49:36 PM
The Conservative leadership does not need discipline Toots, but the realisation while most of the electorate want a better deal, what it really wants is to see other folk doing worse.
You mean they should be happy the Rich are even richer?

Perhaps the electorate might just want things to be fairer than they were. We are meant to be in this together, but that is a hard sell when the rich were handed a bonanza and the workers and pensioners a back hander.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2022, 01:34:45 PM
Once more the tail is wagging the dog. Conservative MPs have forced a U-turn on their new leadership and this really doesn't bode well going forward. Those in other parties might feel smug but this is a trend that seems to be invading the whole of Parliament.

Dare I suggest that this is not just a policy rebellion but a democratic one, led by those who really would prefer Sunak as leader? Gove the proverbial turncoat has apparently led this rebellion and of course we can assume that having achieved this they will now work to deter further policy decisions. 

I would see this as a shot across the bows. Having followed their own rules Truss was elected. They made the decision to oust Boris and perhaps a disgruntled Sunak is not above disrupting from the back benches.

Beware you opposition supporters in that what one set of MPs will display will only too soon be replicated in other parties. I had hoped that Parliamentary discipline had been repaired after the Brexit/Bercow fiasco but apparently not. Labour beware - nothing is certain Westminster has become ungovernable and that's without even looking at the electorate.
It should be said that an MPs first job is to be the voice of the people they represent not the PM who got through by the backdoor. Nobody has voted for Truss mandate except the Tory members. Not much I agree with Dorries on but she is right that if Truss is going to go against BoJos mandate, she needs to take it to the public.  There isn't exactly much love out there for the 45p so it was only a question when her and Kwasi-uturn uturned given they were pretty much asking their MPs to ignore their inbox and the crushing 33pt lead for Labour and basically sign their resignation letters two years in advanced. At least now they might (highly doubtful) be able to repair the damage if things go favorably for them in the next two year.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2022, 01:34:45 PM
Once more the tail is wagging the dog. Conservative MPs have forced a U-turn on their new leadership and this really doesn't bode well going forward. Those in other parties might feel smug but this is a trend that seems to be invading the whole of Parliament.

Dare I suggest that this is not just a policy rebellion but a democratic one, led by those who really would prefer Sunak as leader? Gove the proverbial turncoat has apparently led this rebellion and of course we can assume that having achieved this they will now work to deter further policy decisions. 

I would see this as a shot across the bows. Having followed their own rules Truss was elected. They made the decision to oust Boris and perhaps a disgruntled Sunak is not above disrupting from the back benches.

Beware you opposition supporters in that what one set of MPs will display will only too soon be replicated in other parties. I had hoped that Parliamentary discipline had been repaired after the Brexit/Bercow fiasco but apparently not. Labour beware - nothing is certain Westminster has become ungovernable and that's without even looking at the electorate.

The Conservative leadership does not need discipline Toots, but the realisation while most of the electorate want a better deal, what it really wants is to see other folk doing worse.

Field Marshall Lord Slim was one of our greatest soldiers in WWII and he was inclined to remark that nothing cheered the troops up as the sight of a dead general. A lot of tax policy rests more on spite than finance
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Beware you opposition supporters in that what one set of MPs will display will only too soon be replicated in other parties. I had hoped that Parliamentary discipline had been repaired after the Brexit/Bercow fiasco but apparently not. Labour beware - nothing is certain Westminster has become ungovernable and that's without even looking at the electorate.