Only 2 drinks in spoons

Started by Streetwalker, January 25, 2020, 07:05:46 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14830 time=1580480595 user_id=74
A local hero eh?

The Farage Arms

Well, maybe.

The Tom Toya Lewis is named after a boy barely in his teens who volunteered to go into a dock that collapsed under construction to.rescue the men trapped there. Several if them got out but then the structure failed kling the rest and him.

THAT sort of local hero. Politicians (unless they died or got sentenced to death for the actions in question) dont get a look in. John Frost is mentioned for this reason in another of the pubs but it is actually named after the other chartist leader whose army never bothered rocking up ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Well they must be expecting things to kick.off.

The beer and wine are being served in.plastic 'glasses'

They only do that on football match days when they reckon it could get a bit 'tasty' on the streets.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14773 time=1580454345 user_id=63
This explains a lot.

If you frequent public houses and the one you are in is named after a local hero, yiure almost certainly in one and dont realise it.

A local hero eh?

The Farage Arms
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14270 time=1580057762 user_id=74
Am I the only one on here who has never been in a Wetherspoons in their life?

Is it a public bar?

This explains a lot.

If you frequent public houses and the one you are in is named after a local hero, yiure almost certainly in one and dont realise it.

johnofgwent

Well, in about twelve hours I shall see if this applies in Cwmbran.

If I am able to see straight four hours later (the youngest can be the bloody taxi driver for her sister and niece at 9, I'm going to be digging in for the night) I'll live stream the video of Brexit, spoons style.... via the pub wifi of course

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14633 time=1580314346 user_id=70
The legend is that the original ethos was a good pub, with good beer and grub at reasonable prices, no muzak and now bleeping fruit machines and loud TV. I think it's tried to keep to that, but changes in the law have allowed ankle biters and screamers to gradually trickle throughout the whole establishment. The end for us came when high chairs and coloured pencils were provided for the younger clientele...

I certainly understand the sentiment.Some years back I was into live music and yet in our area these women thought it was OK to bring their toddlers along, so you get some ugly brat you are half tripping over on the dance floor. Then these people stated to dictate to us and say the whole event must bend to accommodate these unwanted children. If I on the other hand organised a rave in the middle of one of their play groups then the fascists would have something to say, don't you think. The question then is what right do they have to invade the events for adults? I gathered very quickly these women were not your normal type but hard core women's lib activists, but trying a different ploy to equalise us. I got told off and then I told then what I thought and it not too friendly. You see I have this skill as a shop steward. Imagine Red Robbo, but of the opposite political persuasion. That was me!

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14270 time=1580057762 user_id=74

Is it a public bar?

The legend is that the original ethos was a good pub, with good beer and grub at reasonable prices, no muzak and now bleeping fruit machines and loud TV. I think it's tried to keep to that, but changes in the law have allowed ankle biters and screamers to gradually trickle throughout the whole establishment. The end for us came when high chairs and coloured pencils were provided for the younger clientele...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14260 time=1580046494 user_id=54
Parents who don't bother to teach their kids how to behave in public are missing such joy. It's very sad. We could take my two anywhere and my grandkids have been raised the same and have done fine dining with us since quite young for two hours with no problem. They can converse sensibly and know when to listen and are a joy to take anywhere. I once had to ferry them and stay at another child's birthday party when they were only about 6 and 8yrs. Out of about 30 with parents in tow they were the only ones to sit and eat without jumping on furniture and being hooligans. They simply gazed around them while munching cheerfully on cake etc. I was horrified but so proud of our 2. It's just about making the time and effort.

Another thing i put on the old forum. There's a really rather nice cosy country hotel called the Peterstone Court just outside Brecon and it was at one point among the huge property and leisure portfolio of Welsh water who before their fall to bankruptcy cared more about making money from things like hotels than delivering clean safe water....

Anyway, while on contract to them I got to take advantage of a whopping discount offer. An overnight break away, all inclusive apart from the booze, Madam and the kids in the sauna jacuzzi etc me tearing up the countryside on a quadbike, you get the idea. come the evening meal they're in posh frocks etc, doing the usual connect 4 etc at the table. Across the way this bloke whose trophy wife felt their little darlings should be free to express their feral side watched in amazement as my two sat playing table games with us while sipping a couple of those mocktail things (all inclusive) while we indulged in wallet-shrivelling seriously booze laden versions....

And then his two feral shitheads climbed up the curtains by the conservatory doors and ripped the whole thing off the wall right over a pair of diners who were until then smirking at having the best view of the open countryside than any other diners assembled.

They were not impressed, and when they tried to persuace this bitch to control her feral brood (his exact words) she started to have a go at the bloke the curtain pole had just hit ...

There was loud and prolonged applause when staff forcibly ejected them from the restaurant.

Over a cigar (which will tell you how long ago that was) in the bar afterwards, the bloke whose dinner was so riotously interrupted remarked on how well behaved our two were. To which I replied I'd shown them how to behave from the point they were able to use a knife and fork, unlike some who clearly belonged back in caves.....

It must have struck a chord because he bought us a round. Including cokes for the kids ...

Baron von Lotsov

Is it a public bar?

T00ts

Parents who don't bother to teach their kids how to behave in public are missing such joy. It's very sad. We could take my two anywhere and my grandkids have been raised the same and have done fine dining with us since quite young for two hours with no problem. They can converse sensibly and know when to listen and are a joy to take anywhere. I once had to ferry them and stay at another child's birthday party when they were only about 6 and 8yrs. Out of about 30 with parents in tow they were the only ones to sit and eat without jumping on furniture and being hooligans. They simply gazed around them while munching cheerfully on cake etc. I was horrified but so proud of our 2. It's just about making the time and effort.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=14248 time=1580042419 user_id=53
Will this be part of your Brexit celebrations Jog ?   I think you may get away with a couple of beers extra as a 60 something grandad with a well behaved madam isn't what they are talking about .

I think the new policy just gives them the option to easily refuse service to the invasion of pushchairs and schoolkids in the middle of the afternoon

I think it probably will. Its not really a new policy either, it's been on the wall and in their magazine for years ...

On the subject of kids behaving or not (I've said this before) I jumped ship.from my job before the company crashed round my head and went freelancing when my eldest was 4 and youngest not due for another 6 months.

So my kids had to get used to a lifestyle where eating out was not so much a luxury as the norm. And they were expected to behave !!

The antics of other hooray henries and Henriettas were not a reason for them to run riot

They dined in a Michelin starred restaurant in belgium for the youngest's ninth birthday. It was the posh place in the hotel in was in at the time.

The grand daughter is held to the same standard but again shes never known any different. Five years ago aged four she was quietly sitting in a booster seat noshing fried fish mash and peas to the stark amazement of various parents around me....

One clearly envious grandparent of some wannabe terrorist complimented her and me on her behaviour. I said shes never been allowed to behave any other way.

In the past a ready supply of tabletop games like connect 4 came in handy, these days shes buried in her android tablet ..

One more thing...

My wife has always looked young for her age and my kids too. As both had driving licences at 18 it was never any real issue atvthe bar ...

But a couple of years ago I was in Spoons in Cwmbran with Moira and Jennifer when a manager came over to remind us kids had to be out by 9pm ......

I looked at him in genuine puzzlement and then I almost pissed myself laughing. Pointing at Jennifer i said 'do you mean her ....' and went on 'she's 26' and seeing she was about to say something shot her a DONT knock it, when you're 50 and people think you're 30 you'll be glad of it.

I felt really sorry for the guy  he looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him whole ...

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14235 time=1579995287 user_id=63
I shall test this next Friday

(I am a regular in the various spoons pubs on a Friday as little madam demolishes their friday fish and chips almost on a weekly basis.

Will this be part of your Brexit celebrations Jog ?   I think you may get away with a couple of beers extra as a 60 something grandad with a well behaved madam isn't what they are talking about .

I think the new policy just gives them the option to easily refuse service to the invasion of pushchairs and schoolkids in the middle of the afternoon

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry post_id=14228 time=1579989781 user_id=51
They are spending a lot of money building a new one in Kingswinford, not a million miles from us. I doubt we'll ever go to it. It's OK, but that is it. Okay isn't quite good enough for us eating out these days. We'd rather pay double and enjoy a proper meal rather than have crud.

I do agree a pub is a place for adults rather than riffraff, and Spoons tends to attract riffraff. (Not Streetwalker of course  :lol: )

I know what your saying for about eating out Barry but for people working away from home or maybe just people who don't want to empty the bank account to have a meal its of a reliable quality . Paying double or more of course as we have probably all experienced is no guarantee of superiority .

More importantly though the beer is decent .  Due to beer prices in London I don't actually use other  pubs that much preferring the social club for a couple of beers on the way home from work and yes a spoons if Im out of the manor .

The cheaper beer does as you say attract a few waifs and strays but they are harmless folk and much preferable to some bandit asking me for £5 for a pint .

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=14228 time=1579989781 user_id=51
They are spending a lot of money building a new one in Kingswinford, not a million miles from us. I doubt we'll ever go to it. It's OK, but that is it. Okay isn't quite good enough for us eating out these days. We'd rather pay double and enjoy a proper meal rather than have crud.

I do agree a pub is a place for adults rather than riffraff, and Spoons tends to attract riffraff. (Not Streetwalker of course  :lol: )

I shall test this next Friday

(I am a regular in the various spoons pubs on a Friday as little madam demolishes their friday fish and chips almost on a weekly basis.

Barry

† The end is nigh †