Optimist or Pessimist?

Started by T00ts, November 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

I still buy lottery tickets. Optimism? Or desperation?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Well on the bright side some of us ignored every piece of bullshit that comes out of politicians and prepared for this striking of an iceberg, so if you didn't listen and learn suffer in your own silence.  
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 18, 2022, 08:39:31 PM
I used to work with a couple of blokes who were ex Merchant Navy. One was an officer, he left because he said although he travelled all over the world he rarely saw a country unless it was from the end of mile long jetty. I think he was on a gas carrier. The other chap was a seaman or rating or whatever they're called and was a good lad. Although I seem to remember he would get most annoyed if someone said 'your turn in the barrel Brian', lol.
Pretty much my experience.

Back in the day, when no one went anywhere, I developed the trick of looking into the far distance and musing, yeah, well when I was in the Gulf, South America, the Pacific etc...

I never bothered to mention that most of the time all I saw of anywhere was the end of an oil pipe line.

It was fun, but there comes a time when you meet the right girl and swallow the anchor :)
Algerie Francais !

Red Rackham

Quote from: Borchester on November 17, 2022, 09:41:38 PM
Ex Merchant Navy.

Like the bloke who fell off the Empire State building and as he passed the last window said, "So far so good."

:)
I used to work with a couple of blokes who were ex Merchant Navy. One was an officer, he left because he said although he travelled all over the world he rarely saw a country unless it was from the end of mile long jetty. I think he was on a gas carrier. The other chap was a seaman or rating or whatever they're called and was a good lad. Although I seem to remember he would get most annoyed if someone said 'your turn in the barrel Brian', lol.

Borchester

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 17, 2022, 04:12:35 AM
'An upbeat pessimist' LOL.

Are you ex forces per chance? Hoping for the best while planning for the worst was the norm.
Ex Merchant Navy.

Like the bloke who fell off the Empire State building and as he passed the last window said, "So far so good."

:)
Algerie Francais !

Red Rackham

Quote from: Borchester on November 14, 2022, 01:03:01 PM
I am an upbeat pessimist.

I expect the worst but I reckon that in most cases it is possible it is possible to think round them and come out ahead.
'An upbeat pessimist' LOL. 

Are you ex forces per chance? Hoping for the best while planning for the worst was the norm.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM
What is the obsession with bad news? Everywhere I look it's all gloom and doom and even here apart from our resident clown who manages the odd light hearted comment on current affairs it mostly seems like a competition to predict dire consequences.

So come on - are you an optimist or a pessimist? Are you renowned for your upbeat view of life and the big smile on your face or are you the local curmudgeon?

I am an upbeat pessimist.

I expect the worst but I reckon that in most cases it is possible it is possible to think round them and come out ahead.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 14, 2022, 12:07:08 PM
You can't do too much for a good boss. (Unfortunately in Britain a good boss is as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns.)
Fair point. I'd urge anyone to consider working for mine. After over forty years of being shat upon by corporate (unmentionables) who screwed over all the decent people in the management tree, I've landed on my feet for possibly the first time ever.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on November 14, 2022, 07:32:23 AM
I am with HDQQ on this and tend to be a pessimist. If you expect the worst you tend to be more psychologically prepared for it when it happens. And if it doesn't happen, its a plus, a bonus if you like.

But if you go through life as an optimist, expecting the best outcomes all the time, a life of perpetual disappointment awaits.
I can see that perspective and yes I sort of understand it.

However, having thought about this a bit ...

Over the years I think I have personally intervened to kick the grim reaper quite squarely in the metaphoric nadgers over a dozen times on behalf of someone they came to collect, failed once and watched a friend fail once quite recently. Neither failure was for want of trying. 

Going back to my research days, ideas I had which were then taken up and brought to production by others have unquestionably saved outright, or improved the outcome, of hundreds, no, thousands. The only reason I didn't get my own ideas put in my arm two years ago is someone else made something better.

I HAVE to believe those people were worth the effort of keeping alive.

I simply have to.

even though I know one I dragged back personally was still an arrogant idiot whose antics will kill him one day, and others who copy his stupidity, and that the first person I saw get the benefit of my research idea is an utter arse who makes filberts pointy haired boss look like employer of the year, I have to believe others I've never met and never will were worth the trouble.

if that means I am deep down a hopeless optimist, then stab me with the label.

the alternative is a bout of depression on a par with that which drove the bloke I created five pints of artificial blood including horse serum for to put himself in my A and E.

and yes, these days I and the surgeons who used my special brew would all be struck off.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 14, 2022, 08:46:16 AM
I am a cynic and a realist.

From time to time a story reaches my ears that gives me the general idea that there are some nice people in the world. Then I wake up to the reality they probably had an ulterior motive
You can't do too much for a good boss. (Unfortunately in Britain a good boss is as rare as rocking horse poo and Unicorns.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on November 14, 2022, 07:32:23 AM
But if you go through life as an optimist, expecting the best outcomes all the time, a life of perpetual disappointment awaits.
Failure is just a stepping stone to greatness 

johnofgwent

What is the obsession with bad news? Everywhere I look it's all gloom and doom and even here apart from our resident clown who manages the odd light hearted comment on current affairs it mostly seems like a competition to predict dire consequences.

So come on - are you an optimist or a pessimist? Are you renowned for your upbeat view of life and the big smile on your face or are you the local curmudgeon?
I am a cynic and a realist.

From time to time a story reaches my ears that gives me the general idea that there are some nice people in the world. Then I wake up to the reality they probably had an ulterior motive

srb7677

I am with HDQQ on this and tend to be a pessimist. If you expect the worst you tend to be more psychologically prepared for it when it happens. And if it doesn't happen, its a plus, a bonus if you like.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Red Rackham

It's hardly a secret, bad news sells copy. It travels a lot faster than good news. Has it ever been different?

As for me, I'm a glass half full sort of a person. Although perspectives change with age. As a young man I had no regrets, in mid life I regretted things I'd seen and done. I now regret things I haven't seen and done. Life's a funny old game, so make the best of it while you can.

cromwell

I'm a miserable old sod who likes a laugh too.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?