Starmer will lose working class, say Liverpool dock strikers

Started by BBC News , November 21, 2022, 07:00:23 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Starmer actually came out with a left wing policy this week.
Anti immigration.
No return to free movement.

Labour gives a shit about the working class now it seems.
Who knew?

Empty words or a change of heart.....

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 06:33:56 PMI didn't say that there weren't a lot of you Steve. Or maybe I did, but what I meant was that you don't count.
We counted when it came to voting for Brexit to give the establishment parties a kicking. We counted when it came to demolishing the red wall. And it is because we count that neither Tories nor Labour will dismiss us entirely, because without large numbers of us backing them, they are unlikely to win. So both main parties hold us in contempt yet at the same time need the support of some of us. Hence all the help for the vulnerable and talk of better pay and terms and conditions.

If your beloved Tories do as you do and assume we don't count, they'll lose badly. Truss and Kwarteng kind of helped to demonstrate that. Your party was facing total wipeout without working class support, especially with much of the middle class deserting too. lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 06:33:56 PM
I didn't say that there weren't a lot of you Steve. Or maybe I did, but what I meant was that you don't count. And why aren't there any trees on your estate? They are always on special offer at Aldi.

Get off your arse and do.
I work a lot harder than you do, without expecting any of the handouts you seem to deem to be yours as of right for sitting on your own arse.

So you can add rank hypocrisy to your CV. lol

And what does the supposed lack of trees on my estate have to do with anything? There are in fact quite a few. But never letting facts get in the way of a simplistic yet predictably negative assumption is your standard modus operandi, so I guess it goes with the territory with you.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on November 23, 2022, 06:12:03 PM
Then you are blind. You must be for uttering such ignorant nonsense. Because there are in fact millions of us. It includes the majority of people on my estate, and many of my work colleagues. Yet you think we don't exist. lol. Presumably because there are none of us round your way, in whatever affluent leafy suburb you happen to live in.

I didn't say that there weren't a lot of you Steve. Or maybe I did, but what I meant was that you don't count. And why aren't there any trees on your estate? They are always on special offer at Aldi.

Get off your arse and do.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 23, 2022, 06:11:03 PM
That will teach you to move out of Battersea ;)

Don't.

I went past the simple old house in I grew up, poor and, well poor, and it has been divided up into 7 bloody flats!

The place must be worth zillions these days :)
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 04:19:06 PMwhile their betters get the tax cuts.
That worked well for the economy didn't it? lol

And you equate better with richer like every greedy soulless bastard out there. I think the better ones are the charitable ones who give of their time and money to help others, and who often work in relatively low paid but essential work like nursing because they care. I would say they are your betters because in post after post all you seem to care about is how much taxpayer's dosh comes your way and to hell with everyone else. In this sense the majority of the population are your betters.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 04:19:06 PMhalf the time Steve's mates can't be arse to vote.
Me and my mates always vote if there is a candidate we can support. There has never been an election since I turned 18 in which I have never voted. FPTP does discourage anyone who lives in a safe seat or who does not support a mainstream party though. But that is a flaw of the system.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 04:15:12 PMThe reason the Labour party is losing the working class is that the working class is not there anymore.
Then you are blind. You must be for uttering such ignorant nonsense. Because there are in fact millions of us. It includes the majority of people on my estate, and many of my work colleagues. Yet you think we don't exist. lol. Presumably because there are none of us round your way, in whatever affluent leafy suburb you happen to live in.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on November 23, 2022, 04:15:12 PM
I have just had a phone call from Herself and she is really broken up. Apparently our miserable shoe box is only worth half a million instead of the three quarters it was last year.

The reason the Labour party is losing the working class is that the working class is not there anymore.
That will teach you to move out of Battersea ;)

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 23, 2022, 04:10:34 PM
It's ok to champion the working class but even mention a party that backs the more well off, the people that pay most of the tax and you say it's disgusting. Double standards me thinks.
The well off are spoilt for choice in terms of politicians that support them. Most of the cabinet are millionaires for a start. The wealthy represent a fairly small minority of the electorate yet are vastly over-represented in parliament. It is the working classes and the struggling millions who are barely represented by the main parties anymore. So hardly an equal comparison and thus a risible point.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on November 23, 2022, 04:10:34 PM
It's ok to champion the working class but even mention a party that backs the more well off, the people that pay most of the tax and you say it's disgusting. Double standards me thinks.

Not that it matters. The more you have the harder you fight for it, which means that half the time Steve's mates can't be arse to vote. So they get to enjoy a good whinge while their betters get the tax cuts.

:)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on November 23, 2022, 03:16:53 PM
Labour lost much of the working class a long time ago when it became a triumphantly middle class party who'd lost touch with the working class and in many cases held them in mild contempt. It ceased to understand us or recognise our needs and regularly misunderstood us.

When a few of us actually joined the party for a time because of a policy agenda that seemed at last to address some of our concerns, we encountered constant hostility from centrist, Blairite middle class elements, who were forever deriding us as "trots" and "the far left" for championing such things as a fair deal for tenants and workers. The Labour party is not the party of the working class anymore. And the Lib Dems and Tories certainly aren't and never really were in the first place.

There are very few genuine champions of the working class in parliament anymore, and those that are - mostly a minority of Labour MPs on the left - are openly distrusted and kept at arms length by the powers that be in their party.

I have just had a phone call from Herself and she is really broken up. Apparently our miserable shoe box is only worth half a million instead of the three quarters it was last year.

The reason the Labour party is losing the working class is that the working class is not there anymore.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 23, 2022, 03:16:53 PM
Labour lost much of the working class a long time ago when it became a triumphantly middle class party who'd lost touch with the working class and in many cases held them in mild contempt. It ceased to understand us or recognise our needs and regularly misunderstood us.

When a few of us actually joined the party for a time because of a policy agenda that seemed at last to address some of our concerns, we encountered constant hostility from centrist, Blairite middle class elements, who were forever deriding us as "trots" and "the far left" for championing such things as a fair deal for tenants and workers. The Labour party is not the party of the working class anymore. And the Lib Dems and Tories certainly aren't and never really were in the first place.

There are very few genuine champions of the working class in parliament anymore, and those that are - mostly a minority of Labour MPs on the left - are openly distrusted and kept at arms length by the powers that be in their party.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: BBC News  on November 21, 2022, 07:00:23 AM
Starmer will lose working class, say Liverpool dock strikers

Liverpool's dock workers have called on Keir Starmer to "show solidarity" with them on the picket line.

Source: Starmer will lose working class, say Liverpool dock strikers

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 22, 2022, 07:48:42 PM
Well you have choices don't you?

There are people on here happy to debate and are intelligent too.
Frankly I can't state I have noticed.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe