End of the Good Friday agreement

Started by Streetwalker, December 20, 2022, 07:38:52 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2023, 06:52:19 PM
Kind of you to worry about me Gerry.

Now, about this deal that is so much to the UK's advantage and which the Dail has in its gift, I would be happy to see the details
Its called the Trade and Co-operation agreement, it came effect Jan 2020 and into force Jan 2021. This has the NIP as part of it. WIthout the NIP there would be no TCA. You can thank IRL for agreeing the TCA.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on January 12, 2023, 06:14:32 PM
IRL offers the UK a trade deal, it's called the EU trade deal. The UK really wants that.

Not particularly.
The amount of people in the UK who really wanted that were outnumbered by the amount of people in the UK who really didn't want that.

While neither choice had the support of a majority of people, one had more public support than the other.
In this case, "no deal" was the most popular choice.

EU deals tend to suck.
Best avoided.

The UK is at best lukewarm about an EU trade deal. Most people here either don't care or actively don't want one.

The demographic shown by polling at the time was loosely speaking, just under a third want a trade deal with the EU. Just over a third don't want a trade deal with the EU and the other third couldn't care less either way.

Not having a trade deal with the EU is politically easier to sell to the electorate than having one is.
You are threatening us with something we actually want.
Screw ourselves over or you will end a trade deal we don't really want.
Hmmm. Great bargaining position you have there.

Baff

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2023, 01:54:02 PM
It is always better to have a friend than an enemy, but I can't see what Ireland has to offer the UK. So far all that we have heard is Gerry wanking himself into an onanistic coma at the thought of the Republic closing down the beefsteak mines and the UK starving to death as a result. No doubt the lad will be back soon and explain how that sort of thing puts a shilling into everyone's pocket, but until he explains I won't be able to see it.

If they don't wish to be friends, there's not much we can do about it.
Ultimately, they have to want this too.

If they don't, they don't.

I am a big believer in putting your best foot forward.
I'm always happy to make the first move. To initiate.

The hand of friendship is open and extended.

However there is a kind of person who you can never please.
Because they don't want to be pleased. And the more you try to please them, the more they wriggle out of being pleased.
The more they demand from you to please them.  

Those people... cut them out of your life completely. The sooner the better.
Once you recognise that personality type, that social dynamic taking place, end it right there.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on January 12, 2023, 06:14:32 PM
IRL offers the UK a trade deal, it's called the EU trade deal. The UK really wants that. It's not very health for a grown man to be picturing another looking after himself. I suggest you do something about your frustrations.

Kind of you to worry about me Gerry.

Now, about this deal that is so much to the UK's advantage and which the Dail has in its gift, I would be happy to see the details

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2023, 01:54:02 PM
It is always better to have a friend than an enemy, but I can't see what Ireland has to offer the UK. So far all that we have heard is Gerry wanking himself into an onanistic coma at the thought of the Republic closing down the beefsteak mines and the UK starving to death as a result. No doubt the lad will be back soon and explain how that sort of thing puts a shilling into everyone's pocket, but until he explains I won't be able to see it.
IRL offers the UK a trade deal, it's called the EU trade deal. The UK really wants that. It's not very health for a grown man to be picturing another looking after himself. I suggest you do something about your frustrations.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on January 12, 2023, 12:40:16 PM
The UK has agreed to help you with your problem.

If you don't appreciate that help and you don't think it is the UK doing you a favour, that ends all self interest of the UK in doing so.

I completely agree with cancelling the NI protocol. It is the only response your words that makes sense.
It is pointless to try and help your enemies. Worse than pointless. Counter productive. Self defeating.

A simple question for you. Both requiring a yes/no answer

A)  Did the UK Govt agree with the EU in 2019 to not implement any border on the island of Ireland. 
B)  Did the UK Govt agree with the EU in 2019 to not implement any border Ni to the rest of UK. 

Borchester

Quote from: Baff on January 12, 2023, 12:40:16 PM

If you don't appreciate that help and you don't think it is the UK doing you a favour, that ends all self interest of the UK in doing so.

I completely agree with cancelling the NI protocol. It is the only response your words that makes sense.
It is pointless to try and help your enemies. Worse than pointless. Counter productive. Self defeating.

Algerie Francais !

Baff

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on January 11, 2023, 04:31:30 AMNI is not in the EU single market.
NI is aligned to the single market so that SI can remain in the EU without having to make border checks with NI.
Thats right its not in the SM but it does everything the SM requires and it follows EU court rulings. But it's not in the SM :) 

Quote from: Baff on January 11, 2023, 04:31:30 AMThe UK does not give a shit about "protecting the single market". This is an EU concern.
Do you want our help or not?

I think the answer is not.

I think you just want to make issues for the UK.
I think you are an enemy.

Hence helping you in any way is a mistake. Counterproductive to our own interests.
I keep saying what I want, for the UK to do exactly what it agreed to do, that's not "help" or a "favour"

The UK doesn't need help in the department of making issues for itself, the enemy is within, down in westminster and you elected them in. Johnson was the leader, he got the job done. People just didn't realise his job was to stay in power over everything else.

As I say, no help asked for or needed, just do what you agreed to in all the treaties. You'll find that is what your leaders will do anyway, they talk out of two mouths, one for the domestic audience and the other for the outside world.

Quote from: Baff on January 11, 2023, 04:31:30 AMI note your leader has exhibited an attitude readjustment in recent days.
He thought Brexit was a stick to beat the English with too.
But you aren't doing yourself any favours trying to spit on the very people who are attempting to help you
I'll assume your talking of Varadkar, he's a good politician. Ran rings around Johnson, when Johnson came over to visit in Dublin before he got home he had come up with the NI protocol, that was a very cordial visit with pleasantries. That's how Varakar operates, he doesn't look to score points for the rag press to spew over. The odd time he lets that slip but mostly he keeps it together.
As for NI and trade, if there are wrinkles that can be sorted without changing the nature of the WA-NIP, then Varadkar and EU would happily agree. That's not a sign of weakness, its what was expected of the NI process, it's how the institutions were setup to work. 

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on January 10, 2023, 10:09:04 PM

We don't have any border enforcement issues, NI is in the single market. The issue is the internal border in the UK, maybe you need help with that.

NI is not in the EU single market.
NI is aligned to the single market so that SI can remain in the EU without having to make border checks with NI.

The UK does not give a shit about "protecting the single market". This is an EU concern.
Do you want our help or not?

I think the answer is not.

I think you just want to make issues for the UK.
I think you are an enemy.

Hence helping you in any way is a mistake. Counterproductive to our own interests.

I note your leader has exhibited an attitude readjustment in recent days.
He thought Brexit was a stick to beat the English with too.
But you aren't doing yourself any favours trying to spit on the very people who are attempting to help you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 10, 2023, 10:21:40 PM
If the war is ended we don't need the GFA, it's the fact the Provo's keep the troubled pan simmering away that makes the GFA relevant. It's simple, have a NI referendum, if they vote to stay in the U.K. which they would, stick a hard customs border up and everyone is happy, except your republicans.
The GFA is for the people left living in NI, the mess created in IRL in 1922 when the UK partitioned the country. A cruel divisive act designed to cause trouble.  All the GFA did was try bring equality to catholics in NI where they had been held back and treated as 2nd class citizens. The problem is some unionists don't like the idea of equality and they are the ones causing trouble. But the majority of people in NI were against brexit, the border issus is a problem caused by the UK govt in the half baked brexit plan, so it's up to the UK to fix the mess.
There is a means for a reunification referendum, and if you read the GFA you will see that no outside coercion by the IRL or UK govt is allowed. The people of NI will decide when they want to do that.
Your facts are all over the place, a hard border in IRL would do far more damage to NI industry and peoples lives that these unseen checks in the irish sea. Far more people would support staying in the single market than opting for a land border. What NI people are annoyed about is the liar Johnson saying his Brexit plans would have meant no sea border. Their anger is at Westminster. Sunak can fix it, he just needs to sign up to more agreements.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 10, 2023, 02:15:00 PM
Like it or not, Sinn Fein are still associated with terrorist organisation, the fact that the GFA is still needed proves it. The U.K. government doesn't associate with terrorists.
The UK have always associated with terrorist organisations. In NI it supported loyalist paramilitary groups, such as the UVF. Its common knowledge that the NI police (Royal Irish Constabulary) during the 1960 to 1990 period "the troubles" the RIC were involved in terrorist attacks in catholic areas, the UK army were supplying loyalist terrorist groups with weapons, intelligence etc. This went up to the UK prime minister. So yes the UK is well in bed with terrorist organisations. Lets not look at Iraq or other historical episodes splattered througout the empire's history.

The UK govt doesn't associate with terrorists ... :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/06/17/a-new-documentary-asks-did-the-british-state-collude-with-northern-irish-terrorists/ 

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 10, 2023, 10:09:04 PM
Yes the GFA is between IRL and the UK. But why make that statement, is it relevant ?
What war ?  that all ended 1998, you're not making any sense, help ?  in the last two centuries, when was the UK "helpful" to IRL. The reality is it's dawning on you that Brexit was and is a fiasco, that the EU doesn't need the UK and that the UK is not getting its own way anymore. Your lashing out with slogans of war, hatred, helping are just that. meaningless words in an incoherent sentence. If you're making a point then put some substance to it.

We don't have any border enforcement issues, NI is in the single market. The issue is the internal border in the UK, maybe you need help with that.
If the war is ended we don't need the GFA, it's the fact the Provo's keep the troubled pan simmering away that makes the GFA relevant. It's simple, have a NI referendum, if they vote to stay in the U.K. which they would, stick a hard customs border up and everyone is happy, except your republicans. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 02:03:15 PMThe Belfast Agreement isn't between the DUP/Sein Fein and the UK government.
It's between the UK and SI.
Yes the GFA is between IRL and the UK. But why make that statement, is it relevant ?

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 02:03:15 PMYou can try and keep this war alive if you wish. This factional hatred. But we aren't going to be in a big rush to help you in this. Sorry.
What war ?  that all ended 1998, you're not making any sense, help ?  in the last two centuries, when was the UK "helpful" to IRL. The reality is it's dawning on you that Brexit was and is a fiasco, that the EU doesn't need the UK and that the UK is not getting its own way anymore. Your lashing out with slogans of war, hatred, helping are just that. meaningless words in an incoherent sentence. If you're making a point then put some substance to it.

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 02:03:15 PMYou clearly seek advantage over those you see as your rivals/enemies and it's clear that you see Brexit as medium towards those ends.
We here, are not going to help you.
You are on your own with that.

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 02:03:15 PMSo.
Nonsense aside, let's cut to the core of the issue.

We can help you with your border enforcement issues pertaining to SI's continued membership of the EU single market and customs union.
Do you want that help or not?

If not, no bother at all from our side. Easier if you don't.

Baff

It doesn't have much choice.

That part of the GFA nails it.
Both sides have to be pandered to.

Those people are UK citizens and they can and will do all sorts of nasty things here if they are not appeased.
Consensual rule should always be the goal of our government.