Cardiff grandmother charges family for Christmas dinner

Started by Borchester, December 22, 2022, 01:46:48 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 23, 2022, 10:16:07 AM
Didn't speak to my sister for 5 years, purely because she was a perpetual liar and caused so many family upsets. She died from a brain tumour 2 years ago now, I was asked to stay away from her funeral by her children, which I respected as it was apparently her wish. 
And this is how these things end.

Mum and her brother never saw eye to eye. When dad died mum wouldn't let us tell their side of the family he had gone. A few years later he fell off a roof and was killed by the fall, mum refused to let us attend the funeral. We were forbidden from announcing her demise lest any of the family she fell out with got to float.

it's a fairly shit situation when the half of an argument that could go to the funeral doesn't.

but then again when the other hslf of the feud blank you maybe not going was a better idea.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 23, 2022, 11:04:55 AM
And I bet even further from real friends as distinct from a gaggle of similar minded alternative social media grumps...
Several close friends locally, next meet up with the "usual suspects," is weather permitting at the end of January a camping weekend at an airfield in Gloucestershire. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 23, 2022, 10:18:51 AM
You can choose your friends but not you relations. (Which is why I live 320 miles away from my relations.)
And I bet even further from real friends as distinct from a gaggle of similar minded alternative social media grumps.

I cannot imagine falling out with any of my family or not keeping in contact however far away they are. We're in the middle of contacting a whole bunch of people from across the Atlantic, Caribbean, Europe and Australia.

Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp are a boon, while also depriving grasping communications and postal services of inflationary income...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

You can choose your friends but not you relations. (Which is why I live 320 miles away from my relations.)

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on December 23, 2022, 09:51:03 AM
Never gotten that far, although we have had some wonderous rows.

But it is usually the womenfolk squaring up to each other and they like to rattle on about their opponents faults too much to keep silent.

:)
Didn't speak to my sister for 5 years, purely because she was a perpetual liar and caused so many family upsets. She died from a brain tumour 2 years ago now, I was asked to stay away from her funeral by her children, which I respected as it was apparently her wish.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 22, 2022, 11:32:26 PM
Before I say anything else No !! It's NOT me

I like her style though.

As I think Borchester said if I tried this the kids would go find a new set of parents.

Mind you, as my youngest brother who I have not spoken a word to in over a decade and that includes his and my attendance at both our parents funerals (he started this shit, f**k him) decided not to invite me to his sons wedding, so my daughter chose not to invite him to hers, there are a few family members I would charge far more than the £60 our Cornish resident would charge us.

Yuletide is the finest time to sharpen all those family grievances and if a cold snap and a sudden financial downturn causes the bastards to die of hypothermia well that's an added bonus.

Never gotten that far, although we have had some wonderous rows.

But it is usually the womenfolk squaring up to each other and they like to rattle on about their opponents faults too much to keep silent.

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 22, 2022, 10:48:09 PM
No room because of the sacks full of cash?

An agreeable problem, but sort something out because SW and I are on our way and I imagine a few other posters will be as well

Many thanks pappy :)
Bit pointless coming to where I live. It is shut down for the winter, or in some cases shut down permanently due to rising costs and not able to get staff because there is nowhere for staff to live, due to the proliferation of AirBnB, holiday homes, and second homes.
Also the local roads are full of deep potholes.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 23, 2022, 05:26:30 AM
I think thats quite sad JoG , not speaking to your bro for ten years  over a wedding invite ?  Lifes too short .
I agree, but he started this and it's on him. 

I think I know what kicked it off

He just blanked us out, period.

When mum died leaving the three of us to sort matters out he wasn't even going to have a funeral and wake because that would mean inviting us. When his son got married the first we knew was when we saw the images on Facebook from the reception.

On seeing this my youngest went ape shit and declared and I quote 'F@@@ This I'm not having him invited when me and Ollie get married' and indeed she did not invite them. I found that outburst a bit of a revelation at the time. My first response was 'who is ollie'

They completely ignored me and my entire family at mums funeral and worse than that ignored my middle brother and his various extended offspring by his various women too. His eldest daughter who'd come down from County Durham for the funeral was going to turn round and drive straight back not being able to face being blanks by the little shit and his toxic brood. I wasn't having that.

I live in hope of winning the Euromillions so I can not hand him a penny.

Yes, I agree with you but he started this and he has continued it for years. I long ago stopped losing sleep over it. Actually given what caused it I never lost a moment of sleep to start with 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

I like her style though.

As I think Borchester said if I tried this the kids would go find a new set of parents.

Mind you, as my youngest brother who I have not spoken a word to in over a decade and that includes his and my attendance at both our parents funerals (he started this shit, f**k him) decided not to invite me to his sons wedding, so my daughter chose not to invite him to hers, there are a few family members I would charge far more than the £60 our Cornish resident would charge us.

Yuletide is the finest time to sharpen all those family grievances and if a cold snap and a sudden financial downturn causes the bastards to die of hypothermia well that's an added bonus.
I think thats quite sad JoG , not speaking to your bro for ten years  over a wedding invite ?   Lifes too short .

Borchester

I like her style though.

That is so true.

I had an old aunt who was inclined to sit in a corner and whimper that we would all miss her when she was gone and I would say no, we would not and great family wars would erupt as a result.

God, we knew how to enjoy Christmas in the old days.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Before I say anything else No !! It's NOT me

I like her style though. 

Mind you, as my youngest brother who I have not spoken a word to in over a decade and that includes his and my attendance at both our parents funerals (he started this shit, F@@@ him) decided not to invite me to his sons wedding, so my daughter chose not to invite him to hers, there are a few family members I would charge far more than the £60 our Cornish resident would charge us.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 22, 2022, 10:28:21 PM
No-one gets invited into my home.

No room because of the sacks full of cash?

An agreeable problem, but sort something out because SW and I are on our way and I imagine a few other posters will be as well

Many thanks pappy :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 22, 2022, 10:11:50 PM
Dunno, but you are a grandparent and I am a grandparent and if Pappy is inviting us down for a free holiday, well can we afford to pass that up?
No-one gets invited into my home. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 22, 2022, 10:03:34 PM
Is 2 million "several millions"?
No
That does not take into account the recent massive increase in the cost of living. So it will now be millions.

Streetwalker