NI protocol

Started by GerryT, February 19, 2023, 01:41:42 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 27, 2023, 03:05:16 PM
But the EU could.
That's the whole point, they won't and that's why they are coming round to dealing. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 27, 2023, 02:56:22 PM
The UK will not put a border up, why would they?
But the EU could.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 27, 2023, 08:38:29 AM
I said a border would go up, the UK would put up a border and the EU would put up a border, with no trade deal there is no other option. Or the EU would use the agreed trade deal and the provisions within it to take action against the UK.

Do you honestly think the border the UK has between GB and NI is more important to England than the trade agreement !
The UK will not put a border up, why would they? 

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 27, 2023, 08:53:01 AM
It could

Brexit: What is Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol? - BBC News

A number of comments in that article look at best just wrong, but misleading would be a better word. I'll get a better look later and comment in more detail

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 27, 2023, 08:53:01 AM
It could

Yes it could but as that article says, the EU could effectively tear up the UK-EU deal by unilaterally imposing tariffs on our goods.  And then we'd be in real trouble.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 27, 2023, 08:41:04 AM
From where I'm standing Johnson knew full well what he was doing with the NI protocol and only dangled Art16 in front of brexiteers. Giving the impression that Art16 allowed for unilateral changing of the agreement, when it doesn't.
It could 

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 27, 2023, 06:15:22 AM
From where I was standing most of those people agreed to it because and only because of article 16 . As I have said that assured Unionists both in GB and N Ireland that the deal wasn't the final draft .

That is what is now being agreed . The problems that have arisen have been identified and a new agreement is on the table . Wether that satisfies all parties remains to be seen
From where I'm standing Johnson knew full well what he was doing with the NI protocol and only dangled Art16 in front of brexiteers. Giving the impression that Art16 allowed for unilateral changing of the agreement, when it doesn't.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 27, 2023, 06:00:15 AM
Gerry, you've never answered the question ever.
Again, what will the EU do if the UK tells them to jog on. Ignore fines, trade, what will the EU do about the hole in it's fence? Are they going to erect a hard border or not?
I said a border would go up, the UK would put up a border and the EU would put up a border, with no trade deal there is no other option. Or the EU would use the agreed trade deal and the provisions within it to take action against the UK. 

Do you honestly think the border the UK has between GB and NI is more important to England than the trade agreement !

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 26, 2023, 02:22:43 PM
First, why would you change the plan that Johnson got such a majority to agree, were all those people wrong.  
From where I was standing most of those people agreed to it because and only because of article 16 . As I have said that assured Unionists both in GB and N Ireland that the deal wasn't the final draft .

That is what is now being agreed . The problems that have arisen have been identified and a new agreement is on the table . Wether that satisfies all parties remains to be seen 

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 26, 2023, 07:15:11 PM
I think I've answered that before, but no problem doing so again. The UK wants a trade deal with the EU, and in fairness so does the EU with the UK. That deal was struck and if it transpires that the UK breaks the deal, their could be 2 outcomes.

The best for the UK would be that the EU says the deal is off. In that case it would have been far easier had the UK been honest and just said they didn't want a deal back in 2016 and just put up the border. UK and EU trade as 3rd countries, under WTO, but that brings a lot of non-trade barriers, far worse than what was experienced at Dover. Remember non trade barriers are far worse than trade barriers such as tariffs.
The second outcome would be worse for the UK, the EU says the UK must honour its agreement and under the terms of the agreement imposes fines and punitive tariffs on the UK, a spat ensues and my bet is the massive UK would batter the EU, you'd probably agree.
Gerry, you've never answered the question ever.
Again, what will the EU do if the UK tells them to jog on. Ignore fines, trade, what will the EU do about the hole in it's fence? Are they going to erect a hard border or not?

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 26, 2023, 03:04:42 PM
I've asked you this time and time again, if the UK sticks 2 fingers up to the EU and tells them to take a hike what will they do about the Irish border?
Sample checks where it most irritates, tear up the trade deal and then laugh at our decline.

Still seeing Boris and co burned in effigy in Sunderland etc will be funny  

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 26, 2023, 03:04:42 PM
I've asked you this time and time again, if the UK sticks 2 fingers up to the EU and tells them to take a hike what will they do about the Irish border?
I think I've answered that before, but no problem doing so again. The UK wants a trade deal with the EU, and in fairness so does the EU with the UK. That deal was struck and if it transpires that the UK breaks the deal, their could be 2 outcomes.

The best for the UK would be that the EU says the deal is off. In that case it would have been far easier had the UK been honest and just said they didn't want a deal back in 2016 and just put up the border. UK and EU trade as 3rd countries, under WTO, but that brings a lot of non-trade barriers, far worse than what was experienced at Dover. Remember non trade barriers are far worse than trade barriers such as tariffs.
The second outcome would be worse for the UK, the EU says the UK must honour its agreement and under the terms of the agreement imposes fines and punitive tariffs on the UK, a spat ensues and my bet is the massive UK would batter the EU, you'd probably agree.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 26, 2023, 06:04:52 PM
But they wouldn't, they'd give a deal to the UK the same as if we were in the EU, otherwise the Provo's would kick off and the Red Sox wouldn't be happy.
Nick how do you know that please? In any case it looks as if the brown semi-solid substance is going to hit the air conditioning tomorrow or the next day with Sunak looking as if he is going to hack off everyone.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 26, 2023, 03:29:23 PM
Put a border back between Eire and Northern Ireland.
But they wouldn't, they'd give a deal to the UK the same as if we were in the EU, otherwise the Provo's would kick off and the Red Sox wouldn't be happy.