« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17793 time=1583009579 user_id=63
^^^

This

What? I don't follow.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick post_id=17759 time=1582978019 user_id=73
Firstly, we had Teressa Maybe at the helm who didn't really want to leave and didn't really hide the fact.

Secondly, the first opportunity Boris had was pulled from under him by the 2 faced remainer MP's.

So I think your comments there are a tad unfair.

^^^

This
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17732 time=1582973486 user_id=50
Can I ask a question? Bearing in mind I voted to remain myself?

Is there anything about the EU that you feel is/was bad or at least, needs serious reform? Because what I keep "hearing" is remainers bitching about the result, about Boris Johnson etc etc, and a lot about the misinformation (eg people were misled) that influenced the outcome. About the doom that awaits the UK when the transition expires, and of course, lots of arguments for the EU and a kind of "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" reverence towards it. Its as if the EU is a kind of Greta Thunberg state. It always seems like a 100-0 argument to remainers. No suggestion at all that there might be anything wrong with the EU, or that it might have pursued policies that at least contributed to its own demise, if that actually happens.

Is there anything about the EU that the 17 million or so who voted to leave might be justified on? Or were all 17 million idiots? Because this awful uncritical love-worship of absolutely everything EU (you know, has kept the peace, invented penicillin, fights fascism, gives us a zillion pounds back for every pound we put in, turns water into wine, etc etc), it just feels a bit pukey at times?

:D  :D
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=17730 time=1582972045 user_id=83
We have been hearing this "oh we will just walk away" for what, three or four years now right? On each of the occasions where the opportunity came up to "walk away", the UK sought extensions.  In the end, instead of walking away Boris Johnson signed the Withdrawal Agreement, agreeing to things that even Theresa May said no British Prime Minister could ever agree to.  The idea that the EU wil scramble at all costs to avoid the UK walking away has already been demonstrably disproven.  

I also keep hearing a lot of Brexiteers talk about the wondrous possibility of other countries leaving the EU if the UK does well.  I would be careful what one wishes for.  If it were to happen...all the EU countries going their separate ways...then they can all go about doing the very undercuttings and maneouvering the UK will presumably have done to 'do well'.  In essence — if the EU dies then the perceived advantage that Brexit gives the UK over EU countries dies with it.  28 countries in a small geographic area all seeking to undercut eachother to attract business, with legal and regulatory systems diverging further and further until Europe becomes a mosaic of varying systems rather than a cohesive Single Market.  

I'm not sure who in Europe actually wins from that scenario, but it would certainly be a victory for those who would like to see Europe weakened as a unified force in the world.

Firstly, we had Teressa Maybe at the helm who didn't really want to leave and didn't really hide the fact.

Secondly, the first opportunity Boris had was pulled from under him by the 2 faced remainer MP's.

So I think your comments there are a tad unfair.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17741 time=1582975154 user_id=50
Hey, I try to do my bit. But work keeps getting in the way, and sunray keeps finding me jobs to do at the weekend. And then there's the pub and the bookies to keep in business?  :lol:

Good try - but no sympathy. It's not on the menu on Saturdays.  :)  :dncg:

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17735 time=1582973902 user_id=54
Don't you threaten me! If I didn't pop up every now and then this site would be comatose!   :kikass:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey, I try to do my bit. But work keeps getting in the way, and sunray keeps finding me jobs to do at the weekend. And then there's the pub and the bookies to keep in business?  :lol:

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17736 time=1582973952 user_id=63
Ah but there's your problem right there, the elephant in the room none of your side in the war admit to.

BACK IN 2017 Over four hundred of the six hundred and fifty winners from the over eight thousand runners n the bunfight that was Theresa May's General Election stood on a manifesto promising to respect the result of the referendum and once safely back in the chamber wiuth their arse on green leather, over half of those, on both sides of the party political divide promptly joined forces to do the exact opposite.

Given that fact, nothing your side in the war has to say to criticise what happens now is of the slightest relevance whatsoever.

Just so!   :hattip

johnofgwent

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=15390 time=1580841414 user_id=88
Back in 2017 we were told that "...we'll have up to 40 [trade deals] ready for one second after midnight in March 2019..."

Ah but there's your problem right there, the elephant in the room none of your side in the war admit to.

BACK IN 2017 Over four hundred of the six hundred and fifty winners from the over eight thousand runners n the bunfight that was Theresa May's General Election stood on a manifesto promising to respect the result of the referendum and once safely back in the chamber wiuth their arse on green leather, over half of those, on both sides of the party political divide promptly joined forces to do the exact opposite.

Given that fact, nothing your side in the war has to say to criticise what happens now is of the slightest relevance whatsoever.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17734 time=1582973809 user_id=50
Don't you start. Or I'll have to chase you with a spider  :lol: ...oh, I forgot...you aren't afraid of spiders  :mrgreen:

Don't you threaten me! If I didn't pop up every now and then this site would be comatose!   :kikass:  :lol:  :lol:

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17733 time=1582973674 user_id=54
We're all idiots of the finest order. It is and has consistently been the only real defence that the most vociferous losers have managed to stick with.  :Patriot:

Don't you start. Or I'll have to chase you with a spider  :lol: ...oh, I forgot...you aren't afraid of spiders  :mrgreen:

T00ts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=17732 time=1582973486 user_id=50

Is there anything about the EU that you feel is/was bad or at least, needs serious reform? Because what I keep "hearing" is remainers bitching about the result, about Boris Johnson etc etc, and a lot about the misinformation (eg people were misled) that influenced the outcome. About the doom that awaits the UK when the transition expires, and of course, lots of arguments for the EU and a kind of "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" reverence towards it. Its as if the EU is a kind of Greta Thunberg state. It always seems like a 100-0 argument to remainers. No suggestion at all that there might be anything wrong with the EU, or that it might have pursued policies that at least contributed to its own demise, if that actually happens.

Is there anything about the EU that the 17 million or so who voted to leave might be justified on? Or were all 17 million idiots? Because this awful uncritical love-worship of absolutely everything EU (you know, has kept the peace, invented penicillin, fights fascism, gives us a zillion pounds back for every pound we out in, turns water into wine, etc etc), it just feels a bit pukey at times?

We're all idiots of the finest order. It is and has consistently been the only real defence that the most vociferous losers have managed to stick with.  :Patriot:

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=17730 time=1582972045 user_id=83
We have been hearing this "oh we will just walk away" for what, three or four years now right? On each of the occasions where the opportunity came up to "walk away", the UK sought extensions.  In the end, instead of walking away Boris Johnson signed the Withdrawal Agreement, agreeing to things that even Theresa May said no British Prime Minister could ever agree to.  The idea that the EU wil scramble at all costs to avoid the UK walking away has already been demonstrably disproven.  

I also keep hearing a lot of Brexiteers talk about the wondrous possibility of other countries leaving the EU if the UK does well.  I would be careful what one wishes for.  If it were to happen...all the EU countries going their separate ways...then they can all go about doing the very undercuttings and maneouvering the UK will presumably have done to 'do well'.  In essence — if the EU dies then the perceived advantage that Brexit gives the UK over EU countries dies with it.  28 countries in a small geographic area all seeking to undercut eachother to attract business, with legal and regulatory systems diverging further and further until Europe becomes a mosaic of varying systems rather than a cohesive Single Market.  

I'm not sure who in Europe actually wins from that scenario, but it would certainly be a victory for those who would like to see Europe weakened as a unified force in the world.

Is there anything about the EU that the 17 million or so who voted to leave might be justified on? Or were all 17 million idiots? Because this awful uncritical love-worship of absolutely everything EU (you know, has kept the peace, invented penicillin, fights fascism, gives us a zillion pounds back for every pound we put in, turns water into wine, etc etc), it just feels a bit pukey at times?

Conchúr

Quote from: Nick post_id=17666 time=1582838082 user_id=73
Today Michael Gove has fried a shot across the EU bows stating that if we don't see significant progress in negotiations by June we are calling the whole thing off and prepping for WTO. Why do you think that was? Is it within the realms of possibility that the UK has outstripped it's expectations with regard to agreed trade deals? We won't know for a few months yet, but I am pretty certain the EU will be getting nervous now with the governments Haka today.  

You have got to concede that the eyes of Spain, Italy, Greece, The Netherlands and France are on the UK. They're all EU sceptic and will follow our lead if the UK is doing well... Or even holding a status quo. That will leave Germany well and truly holding the 👶.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT post_id=17727 time=1582966928 user_id=61
That michael Gove speech just reminds me of the sheriff in blazing saddles, "next one to move and the sheriff gets it". The EU mitigated its biggest issues in the WA, that's now an internationally agreed treaty, fresh as a daisy. What happens to the UKs international reputation if that's broken. Who could trust a country that goes around making deals and breaking them while the ink is wet. So I dont think johnson will do what hes saying, it's more rhetoric for the domestic audience,  its what people outside the UK have come used to seeing.

But even if johnson did take the path to damage the UKs reputation, do you still believe "the EU needs us more than we need them" heard Davis spouting that recently, honestly how these people aren't shown up for what they are.

I don't think that in the current situation we can be sure of very much at all.  The virus and the hit that is inevitable as people stop moving at least for the foreseeable future, Syria, Turkey's refugees gamble, the fall in the markets globally, USA elections, no government in Ireland, the list seems endless of the matters that at this moment have more importance than the EU. I would imagine that most nation leaders have their hands full at present. We could well find that in 6 months time the world might be a completely different place. Perhaps we are not talking the death rate of the Spanish flu but in this very integrated world that we have created the disruption cannot be ignored. It may well be that borders will be seen as far more important than they have til now. It may be that suddenly the world view will change. It is possible that fresh eyes will turn toward us with the view that where we lead others will envy. We'll see.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17725 time=1582965619 user_id=54
He who laughs last laughs longest. You might have peeked too soon. How come you have 6 emojis on there? I thought the limit was 5.  :D

That michael Gove speech just reminds me of the sheriff in blazing saddles, "next one to move and the sheriff gets it". The EU mitigated its biggest issues in the WA, that's now an internationally agreed treaty, fresh as a daisy. What happens to the UKs international reputation if that's broken. Who could trust a country that goes around making deals and breaking them while the ink is wet. So I dont think johnson will do what hes saying, it's more rhetoric for the domestic audience,  its what people outside the UK have come used to seeing.

But even if johnson did take the path to damage the UKs reputation, do you still believe "the EU needs us more than we need them" heard Davis spouting that recently, honestly how these people aren't shown up for what they are.