British people need "to accept that they're worse off"

Started by patman post, April 29, 2023, 11:59:13 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on April 30, 2023, 12:21:17 PM
Job ad would need to be worded something like: "Candidates who can speak both English and Polish preferred to be able to communicate with the other members of staff" to be legal.

Using the word "preferred" would not fall foul of employment laws because it technically does not prevent non-Polish speakers from applying...

It does not matter anyway.

All the guys working in car washes are Romanians and Bulgarians. They pretend to be Polish because everyone likes Poles, but Romanians never aspire to anything above being concentration camp guards
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 30, 2023, 11:51:00 AM
Oh don't get me on car washes where it was ruled legal for jobs to be labelled 'must speak Polish' or Romanian etc. 
Job ad would need to be worded something like: "Candidates who can speak both English and Polish preferred to be able to communicate with the other members of staff" to be legal.

Using the word "preferred" would not fall foul of employment laws because it technically does not prevent non-Polish speakers from applying...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 29, 2023, 11:25:56 PM
Ok so ...

First the car washes. Not a single English accent to be heard among the operators in the race to the bottom of the barrel hand car wash places that used to litter NP19. They fought to offer the cheapest deal and the person brushing the detergent on the car was almost always eastern european. Covid destroyed their market and Brexit destroyed their labour pool. Goid luck getting a car wash for less than £8 today. I needed one when i sold the Leaf. ThTs hiw i know what they cost two months back

But the fact is Britain chose to screw the worker decades ago. There is nithing new in wage stagnation in manufacturing industry.
Oh don't get me on car washes where it was ruled legal for jobs to be labelled 'must speak Polish' or Romanian etc.  

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on April 29, 2023, 03:48:02 PM
I am laughing :)
You have no idea of the serious distress you are causing me you really are nasty. (Seriously.) You are however leaving plenty of evidence on the forum.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Ok so ...

First the car washes. Not a single English accent to be heard among the operators in the race to the bottom of the barrel hand car wash places that used to litter NP19. They fought to offer the cheapest deal and the person brushing the detergent on the car was almost always eastern european. Covid destroyed their market and Brexit destroyed their labour pool. Goid luck getting a car wash for less than £8 today. I needed one when i sold the Leaf. ThTs hiw i know what they cost two months back

But the fact is Britain chose to screw the worker decades ago. There is nithing new in wage stagnation in manufacturing industry.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on April 29, 2023, 03:15:38 PM

A kind thought Pappy, but I will await upon whatever you have set in motion.
:)
It is NOT funny at all. Disseminating lies about someone repeatedly is legally actionable. You don't seem to understand the serious trouble you are in.
This is what I have been campaigning about, which has precisely zero to do with keeping fit and able out of work.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/new-inquiry-call-as-dwp-deaths-mount-despite-decade-of-secret-investigations/

Extracts from new secret reports show a catalogue of errors made by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and its private contractors that have been linked to the deaths of disabled people interacting with the benefits system.

DWP has finally released nearly 100 recommendations made in reviews that were completed between September 2020 and November 2022 into deaths and serious harm caused to benefit claimants.

DWP has been collecting such reviews centrally for more than a decade for the purposes of "continuous improvement" and learning lessons.

But despite more than 10 years of reviews, which DWP refuses to publish in full or even pass to the families of deceased claimants, the latest recommendations show the actions of the department's ministers, civil servants and contractors continue to be linked to countless deaths.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on April 29, 2023, 03:01:51 PM
Borchester you have been requested NOT to keep repeating that blatant lie about me. It will have consequences which are already set in motion and an apology and a promise to cease the desist with the lie will be sufficient.

A kind thought Pappy, but I will await upon whatever you have set in motion.
:)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on April 29, 2023, 03:00:14 PM
I see the logic there.

But such a role would require him being part of some administration or establishment, and I don't see him accepting that without considering it to be an insult...

Good point, but then Pappy sees everything as an insult so it becomes a matter of veni hora, miser mordacia

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on April 29, 2023, 02:55:00 PM
We need a Minister for Unemployment to help folk adjust to poverty.

I will vote for Pappy. He was always bragging how he stopped the unemployed being offered work, so I think he is the man for the job
Borchester you have been requested NOT to keep repeating that blatant lie about me. It will have consequences which are already set in motion and an apology and a promise to cease the desist with the lie will be sufficient.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on April 29, 2023, 02:55:00 PM

I will vote for Pappy. He was always bragging how he stopped the unemployed being offered work, so I think he is the man for the job
I see the logic there.

But such a role would require him being part of some administration or establishment, and I don't see him accepting that without considering it to be an insult...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on April 29, 2023, 02:44:04 PM
But ignoring the truth isn't helpful. Most of us have to get used to the idea that most UK residents who live and work here will be poorer and need to trim their demands and expectations accordingly...

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on April 29, 2023, 02:24:26 PM
He is insulting millions of now poor people who are poor because of Tory policy, and in part Brexit.
But ignoring the truth isn't helpful. Most of us have to get used to the idea that most UK residents who live and work here will be poorer and need to trim their demands and expectations accordingly...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on April 29, 2023, 01:58:39 PM
But, like him or not, isn't he just stating the reality that over 60 million or so people in the UK are going to be poorer for a decade or more, so we just need to get used to the idea...?
He is insulting millions of now poor people who are poor because of Tory policy, and in part Brexit.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on April 29, 2023, 01:33:58 PM
Frankly after 13 years of tory austerity, massive and ongoing rises in the cost of living and millions of people going from just managing to being in deep financial excrement that man is an insult.
But, like him or not, isn't he just stating the reality that over 60 million or so people in the UK are going to be poorer for a decade or more, so we just need to get used to the idea...?